Read Through all the Blow Max Posts Need Tire Recommendation

Jhuff8181

I've read through many of the posts highlighting the problems with the factory installed "Blowmax" tires. We have a new 2015 Gateway 3650BH (only driven about 500 miles) and I don't want to wait until "the day after" to get new tires. I would like your recommendations for a proper replacement. Thank you.

Jim.Allison

Since the load rating of the TowMax is not the issue, but rather the quality, and the Goodyear G614 seems to be going for about $303 (maybe better at a local dealer), I have now turned my attention to high quality name brand LT tires. One of those tires is the 16 inch Firestone Transforce HT in black wall, in lieu of the G614.

With only 500 miles on your tires you can probably sell them on craigs list and get almost all your money back on your new installation.

I've read through many of the posts highlighting the problems with the factory installed "Blowmax" tires. We have a new 2015 Gateway 3650BH (only driven about 500 miles) and I don't want to wait until "the day after" to get new tires. I would like your recommendations for a proper replacement. Thank you.

ncrzrbk

I changed mine out with Bridgestone Duravis R250. They are doing well. So far. I also like the Transforce HT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

iawoody2

Changed mine to BFG Commercial TAs. Lucked out with the tire dealer, he gave me $60 a piece for my 5 Towmax tires, said he could sell them to some farmer for wagon tires. Guess that is a benefit of living in farm country.

scottyb

I just turned 16K mi on the Michellin XPS Ribs. They replaced my brand new Towmax, which were traded for some concrete work. They are also a commercial LT, with full steel encasements.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have the BlowMax tires on my Heartland Trail Runner with less than 4000 miles on them, but will be replacing them this winter!

I have the Firestone Transforce HT tires on my new truck, and so far I love them, although I have less than 4000 miles on them so far.

But I am very seriously considering replacing the BlowMax's with the Transforce HT tires, although I might consider the Transforce AT tires . . .

TXTiger

I have the XPS Ribs also and over 10k miles with no issues. They hold their psi pretty good too.

I just turned 16K mi on the Michellin XPS Ribs. They replaced my brand new Towmax, which were traded for some concrete work. They are also a commercial LT, with full steel encasements.

Gizzy

We also went with the Bridgestone Duravis. It is a commercial truck/van tire and seems to be holding up well so far after over 10,000 miles, hope it continues.

Jhuff8181

Here is exactly what is on my 2015 Gateway 3650BH, Power King Tow Max STR ST 235 85 R16. I guess those who thought Heartland was changing tire brands for 2015 were wrong.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Here is exactly what is on my 2015 Gateway 3650BH, Power King Tow Max STR ST 235 85 R16. I guess those who thought Heartland was changing tire brands for 2015 were wrong.

I suppose it is possible that the dealers could be swapping out the tires the trailers while on their lots . . .

JeromyS

As I understand it the upgraded tires are an option you can add. So the choice is the dealer/customer unless you go with landmark 365. Sadly dealers don't opt for the upgrade frequently potentially as it adds cost when compared to another dealer.

Jhuff8181

I ordered my Gateway direct from the factory. I was never asked if I wanted to upgrade the tires. I never even thought that they would be putting problematic tires on my new $50K fifth wheel. Very disappointing.

Lobovista

When our 2011 Elkridge was about a year old with maybe 3000 miles on it we made a trip to the Keys. One Towmax thru it's tread outside of Miami going down and another one pitched it's tread outside of New Orleans on the way back. Did about $7,000 damage to the trailer. When the second tire went, we limped 10 miles on a tread less but stilled aired up tire to the nearest tire dealer (happened to be a firestone dealer). The dealer showed me a pile of ST tires 6ft tall beside his shop that had gone bad. He convinced me to put the Transforce HT's on and it was the best thing we ever did.3 years and 10,000 miles later, they still look new. Highly recommend them.

wdk450

Moderators:
Since the intent of the original poster was to get an idea of what brand of tires is being used out there on our large 5er's, how about setting up a poll where you can vote on what you are using, and can show some numeric results. The ability to add a non-mentioned brand of tires to the poll would be helpful. Is this possible???

BTW, I have been happy with the Geostar tires stocked/sold by Les Schwab Tires on the Northern West Coast ( South to Bakersfield, East to Utah/Idaho).

Jhuff8181

Does anyone know if Sam's Club carries a tire that will work for me? The Gateway 3650BH has a GVWR of 15,500. Do I need a tire with a rating of over 3875 pounds or do I take the weight being carried by the TV into consideration?

branson4020

Icantre Member
Does anyone know if Sam's Club carries a tire that will work for me? The Gateway 3650BH has a GVWR of 15,500. Do I need a tire with a rating of over 3875 pounds or do I take the weight being carried by the TV into consideration?

The tire ratings only need to exceed the axle rating. Example, for 6000 lb axle, your tires need to be greater than 3000 lbs rating.