rear ac problem on Gateway 3650bh

justafordguy

The rear ac is running but not cooling. It was working fine yesterday. Any ideas?

I just checked and the compressor is running and the high side line is only warm so it must have lost most of it's freon. I guess it's time to call Heartland and get a new one.:p

Last edited:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
If the low side line is not cold....yep it might be empty. Any refridgerant oil on the roof or under the cover?? Call HL but they might refer you to Dometic.

justafordguy

The low side is just barely cool but I see no oil and the compressor still sounds fine. I think the freon is gone.

I called Heartland and spoke with Dave McWilliams and he thinks the freon is gone too. The only problem now is that Dave told me I have to go through a dealer to get it replaced. I can't get any dealer within 3 hours of me to even call me back.:p

danemayer

The only problem now is that Dave told me I have to go through a dealer to get it replaced. I can't get any dealer within 3 hours of me to even call me back.:p

This is a very busy time of year for dealers. But since the A/C warranty is from Dometic, you may be able to use any dealer or independent servicer authorized by Dometic. Try calling Dometic for a list of closest authorized servicers. If you're willing to pay for travel time (as an alternative to the cost of towing), you may be able to find a mobile servicer who's Dometic authorized.

Keep Heartland in the loop and make sure they are OK with whatever course of action you take in case the root cause spills out of the Dometic parts.

justafordguy

I asked Dave about any mobile repair service but he said he didn't have anyone in my area he would recommend. If I don't hear from any of the dealers I left voicemail with by 3:00, I'm calling Heartland back.

justafordguy

Hey Dan, Where can I find the number to Dometic Service? I am assuming this is a Dometic unit, my Gateway didn't come with any documentation of what brand they are.

justafordguy

Thanks Jim, I knew I had seen them somewhere.;)

I had to get Heartland (Dave McWilliams is awesome) to call Camping World and get them to call me back finally. Unfortunately they can't look at it until week after next.:(

I guess we get to go on our week long trip to the Beach in Destin Fl next week with only one A/C unit. My DW is not happy.:mad:

The worst part about this is that I could have the A/C changed out myself in an hour or less. To bad Dometic won't send the new unit directly to me.

justafordguy

I called Dometic and they gave me the number to a local Dometic dealer. They have a mobile service and they came out today to look at the bad unit. They are going to start the warranty replacement process.

One thing I was wondering is if Heartland will reimburse me for the service charge of the mobile repair service? Has anyone ever had Heartland pay them back for mobile repair on a warranty item?

danemayer

I called Dometic and they gave me the number to a local Dometic dealer. They have a mobile service and they came out today to look at the bad unit. They are going to start the warranty replacement process.

One thing I was wondering is if Heartland will reimburse me for the service charge of the mobile repair service? Has anyone ever had Heartland pay them back for mobile repair on a warranty item?

The Heartland warranty requires you take the trailer to an authorized dealer. If you use mobile service, the travel time charge is not reimbursed. But it's often less expensive in time and money than hauling the trailer around.

In this case, where the A/C warranty is from Dometic, it would be up to Dometic to decide whether to reimburse the travel time charge. You could call them to find out.

justafordguy

Thanks Dan, My dealer is a 6 hour trip and weeks of waiting and the mobile guy is only 20 minutes away so it's much cheaper and faster for me to pay him to come fix it.;)

justafordguy

Long story short, after almost a month and dealing with two dealers and two mobile RV service guys my 3 month old Dometic A/C has been replaced. For anyone needing mobile RV repair service in the Tallahassee area, do yourself a favor and call John King RV service first.;)

justafordguy

Well as I posted a few months ago I had to have my new Domestic ac replaced when it failed. Now it looks like my second new Domestic ac is failing also.:confused: it is still running but not cooling. Is it common to get several bad units in a row?

Bones

Well as I posted a few months ago I had to have my new Domestic ac replaced when it failed. Now it looks like my second new Domestic ac is failing also.:confused: it is still running but not cooling. Is it common to get several bad units in a row?

can you check to make sure it is not getting blow by with the small separator in the unit. it is a stick on panel in between the supply side and the return side?

justafordguy

Yeah I had to redo that two months ago when the first new unit failed. I also redid the one on the working front unit because it was also installed poorly.:p

Bones

Yeah I had to redo that two months ago when the first new unit failed. I also redid the one on the working front unit because it was also installed poorly.:p

Well that sucks. I wonder what they are doing to have them mess up like that. Do you hear the compressor running? Are the coils freezing up?

justafordguy

The compressor is running but the coils don't get cold. My third new unit is supposed to be installed today, wish me luck.;)

justafordguy

I guess I forgot to post that my third unit failed also and I just had a forth unit installed last week. This is getting crazy. So far I haven't had one last more than 3 months. Dometic says they found the problem and have fixed it. Time will tell.