Recommended Camping in Ottawa Canada Area

GregP

Hello everybody. We are planning a trip to Eastern Canada and expect to be in the area of our nation's Capital around the end of May to mid-June or so. We have been that way a few times, but this is the first time with the Bighorn in tow. Can anyone recommend a good campground (either Quebec or Ontario) that would be suitable for 1-2 weeks in that area? We want to use the campground as a base while touring the area. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Geodude

Hi from Ottawa! For touring the area, I'd recommend the city's municipal campground. I think it's called Wesley Clover Park now. It's located in the western part of the city, in the Kanata area, and just off the 417. It would be about a 15 or 20 minute drive downtown or any of the major sights. There are also bike paths from there if you want a nice ride downtown (about 1 to 1.5 hours depending on how fast you are.)

The park has open sites as well as nicely treed sites and all the amenities you'd need.

There are a couple of somewhat close provincial parks, Fitzroy to the west and Rideau River to the south, but when I say "somewhat" you're looking at about an hour's drive to get into the city.

I know there are private campgrounds to the south of the city (mostly south on Bank St. as far as I know). I'm afraid I can't be of any help with those as I've never laid eyes on them and can't even recall their names. Perhaps RvParky.com would be a good source to explore on that count.

Good luck!

GregP

Geodude. Thanks for the reply. I think we may have stayed in that campground about 16 years ago with a 25'TT we had at that time. I like the location; as you say, central to the City, but I wasn't sure if it was suitable for our Bighorn which stands MUCH taller than the old SOB. I believe it went under other another name at the time we previously stayed, but it was a municipal campground.

I was thinking of Wesley Clover too, that would be my recommendation. Going further west towards Fitzroy park will just be a lot more travel time to get anywhere in Ottawa. Wesley park is right off the 417, easy access to park, then right back onto the highway no matter which way you are heading (to or from). Heading out Fitzroy is all little 2 lane roads, especially getting to the park. I am not sure if Wesley park can accommodate the BH, but I would venture that they would be able to with no problems.

I have never been there though, as those are my old stomping grounds. I never brought the TT there as I had a house to go to whenever I decided to head east.

Highly recommend the War Museum in Ottawa while you are there, not sure how familiar you are with the Nations Capital and what there is to offer. I was just there at the museum over Christmas and was amazed at all of the items in there, last time I was in the museum it was all the way down town and MUCH smaller.

Geodude

I was thru there about six years ago and thought it would be a nice place for a quick getaway. DW said if we're going to hook up the trailer then we're gonna make a trip out of it! So the closest to home for us is Fitzroy and Rideau River, to "make a trip out of it", as she says.

asherwin

Stayed at Wesley Clover three years ago with our Big Country along with friends in their Big Horn. No issue accommodating our rigs. Nice park and easy access to Hwy 417 for your sightseeing trips downtown. If and when you get to town let us know. We live in the area and can help with any sightseeing input.

GregP

Thanks all for the advice regarding Wesley Clover. I am pretty sure I stayed there a while back, and did like the park and proximity to Ottawa attractions. I will email them for further info and possibly a campground reservation as it is likely going to be busy in the Ottawa area all year.