Reefer not getting cold - Green fluid

pharmafrog

All,

Camping this weekend, fridge won't get cold. It did last week though. Opened up the outside and noticed a nice pool of fluid on the tray that resembled antifreeze in color. I can only guess this is the coolant. Found a fitting where it seems to have leaked from. What options do I have at this point? All help is appreciated. Hoping there is a way to tighten the fitting and refill with whatever fluid that is. HELP. My crab legs are depending on this.

danemayer

You didn't mention the type of refrigerator. But if it's the traditional gas absorption RV fridge, you might be smelling ammonia, in which case the cooling unit will probably need to be replaced.

pharmafrog

You didn't mention the type of refrigerator. But if it's the traditional gas absorption RV fridge, you might be smelling ammonia, in which case the cooling unit will probably need to be replaced.

Sorry it is a NORCOLD 121 Series. I do not smell any ammonia smell, but the fluid was green, a bright green.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Freon has a green dye in it to find leaks....well at least in cars and trucks. This would only apply if you have residential fridge. OK you guys correct me if I'm wrong.

pharmafrog

Yep, total loss on the cooling system. I just ordered an Amish NEW one to replace the Norcold. I followed a youtube video and found it really simple to get the old cooling unit out and prep it for the one being shipped. I love the Internet.

Bruce