Reese hitch for Oakmont

I spent some time at CW today hearing about hitches for our truck. There was a $500 difference between the Reese and the other one they suggested....sorry, can't remember the name of that one. The salesperson told me the Reese has a oval hole for the round hitch that allows jerking and movement. Anyone out there care to weigh in on the quality and ride with the Reese? I don't want to pay more than I need to. Had no idea these were so expensive.

Thanks!

danemayer

Hi Mdahlquist,

I'm sure you'll get a few opinions about the Reese (and probably others).

Also, I moved this to the hitch sub-forum.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I had a Reese 16K in our previous F250 pulling a Sundance and now have a 20K Reese in the F350 Dually pulling our Landmark. It's not the most expensive hitch but it gets the job done and we have very little "chucking".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GOTTOYS

First mistake is going to CW to look at hitches. There aren't many places that will charge you more $$ than they will. Just look at B&W hitches online and pick one out that you like. Order it from one of the many online sources and you will have it within 2-3 days and at a great price for a great hitch...Don

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We got our dealership to throw in a Reese 16K Pro Slider in with the deal on our Prowler.

I've only pulled it five times (once home from the dealership and both ways on two weekend campouts), but seems to pull fine with little chucking.

Are there better hitches out there . . . probably!

Do I need a better hitch?

I won't know for a long time as this is the hitch I have and the one I will use for as long as it works!

attachment.php

Attachments

• NewReeseSliderHitch-P1000052.jpg
    NewReeseSliderHitch-P1000052.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 84

Chippendale

I had a Reese 16K Slider Hitch for my old SOB, and used it a while with my new Gateway. Seemed to get more chucking with the Gateway than the SOB. While looking around for a new hitch, I ran across the Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection hitch. http://www.andersenhitches.com/Catalog/ultimate-5th-wheel-connection.aspx It is light weight, easily removed if you need your truck bed, very strong and solves the chucking problem and less expensive. At first, hitching by myself was a problem, but I have now solved that with an i-Ball portable camera placed on top of the wheel well when hitching. I have the rail model and purchased it from Tweedy's. Amazon has them too.

justafordguy

I have a Reese 16k slider for our new Gateway and it works fine. I have no idea what CW is talking about with their "Oval Hole" comment, the hole in the jaws is round and fits the pin nice an tight.

X2, I would shop for a hitch somewhere else besides Camping World.