removing bolsters around windows

esbeasley

on our 2009 3580RL we would like to remove the bolsters around the window by the dinette. I can't see where they are screwed/nailed so assume (you know what THAT means) they are glued on. any way to remove these irritants with out totally destroying the wall paper ?? Thanks !

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you mean those lambrequins, I believe the screws are hidden in the fabric at the top and bottom inside corners. You have to fish around to find them.

truknutt

Committed Member
Man, I gotta start wearing my reading specs...I read that caption and swear it said "removing LOBSTERS around windows"!!! Wow!

porthole

Retired
I am "assuming" you are referring to the type pictured below. If not, disregard the rest of this post.

If they are mounted like mine, there are 4 "EL" brackets screwed to the wall. 2 along the top, 1 on each side.

Raise the shade and look for a small Phillips screw along either side Looking toward the rear or front of the trailer. Try somewhere between 2" to 6" up from the bottom.
Once you find and remove one on each side you should be able to pull the bottom out a bit and look up inside the valance. You should be able to find 2 more screws, each about 4-6" from the edge. Remove these and the valance to come right off.

The screws can be difficult to see, buried in the folds of materials.

Attachments

• Garage_update_04..jpg
    Garage_update_04..jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 61

esbeasley

Thanks JohnDar. You were right on the money: there was material over the holes because the screws were in at an angle. I'm going to have to be like Truknut and start wearing my spec's when I do this stuff.

Last edited:

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
We took ours off, took them apart, shortened them, then reassembled and reattached them. No more smacking the dinette chairs into them. Only thing you can see is one tiny screw hole that we haven't patched yet. And you have to really look for that. I did take the lambrequins totally off the valances and shortened a little on each end so the basic design still matched the others. Without the side pieces, our dog would stick his nose under the blinds and make a mess out of them.

porthole

Retired
If you mean those lambrequins, I believe the screws are hidden in the fabric at the top and bottom inside corners. You have to fish around to find them.

OK you made me look up that one!

So what is the real name for this item? Bolster? Lambrequin? Valance"
  • Bol·ster (b
    omacr.gif
    l
    prime.gif
    st
    schwa.gif
    r)n.
    A long narrow pillow or cushion.
  • lam·bre·quin (l
    abreve.gif
    m
    prime.gif
    b
    schwa.gif
    r-k
    ibreve.gif
    n, -br
    schwa.gif
    -k
    ibreve.gif
    n) n.
    A short ornamental drapery for the top of a window or door or the edge of a shelf.

• val·ance (v
    abreve.gif
    l
    prime.gif
    schwa.gif
    ns, v
    amacr.gif
    prime.gif
    l
    schwa.gif
    ns) n.
    1. An ornamental drapery hung across a top edge, as of a bed, table, or canopy.
    2. A short drapery, decorative board, or metal strip mounted especially across the top of a window to conceal structural fixtures.

Looked up all three and neither seem right or the first picture below.
Although for picture #2 either lambrequin or valance are correct.

So what do we call picture #1?

And my spell checker auto corrects "lambrequin" to lamebrains ..........................

Attachments

• What_is_it_1..jpg
    What_is_it_1..jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 21
  • What_is_it_2..jpg
    What_is_it_2..jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 33

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I did not originate the use of "lambrequins" on this forum. Somebody else corrected my ignorance of what those window treatments were called. Personally, I think they are poorly designed and executed for where they are placed. Thin MDF panels covered in fabric and stapled together. Doesn't take much of a bump from a chair or elbow to separate them. After pulling the myriad of short staples out, the best fix I've found is to slobber fabric glue between the pieces and clamp them together.

porthole

Retired
Hey Porthole that finishes the garage off nicely.......Did you get them direct from Heartland ??? and Cost ??

I ordered them while I was in Indiana from the RV Service Center. To get them I requested the bedroom size piece with the living room style fabric. Had I realized the length difference I would have ordered them 2" longer.

I'll have to wait till tomarrow to get the prices.

porthole

Retired
Craig,
Clearence is actually better now. Even though items are a bit thicker and clearance slightly reduced, I no longer have the problem of the upper mattress catching on the blind lock lever.

Mine did twice and ripped the mattress.

Now it is padded and smooth.

I also have a bolt sitting in one of the bed frame mounts to keep the frame centered.