Requesting Pics of Your 12 Volt Setup

Squirlee

Good day folks. Would some of you mind posting pics of your 12v compartments? I am having issues with my hydraulics quitting when pulling in the slides or pulling up the legs. I have checked the batteries and they hold 12.5v under load, the specific gravity is correct and the water level is good.

The next thing I am going to do is repair the shoddy electrical connections and replace the breakers. I was just hoping to see some of your 12 compartments to see if they are all a less than desirable quality or if mine is unique.

For example, my battery cables were cut part way through from whoever stripped the insulation off, one of the lugs could be pulled off, the parallel cables are 6 gauge while the main cables are 2 gauge, they used copper lugs with a 3/8" hole on 1/4" studs etc etc etc.

I'm just tired of repeatedly taking my trailer to a dealer that never is able to actually fix anything. They do try and they are really nice but they just fail at fixing. Repeatedly. And Heartland doesn't seem interested since they dumped the Oakmont line. So I am working through the issues one at a time myself.

Maybe I won't get a better product outside of the Thor umbrella but I will definitely never go with Heartland or the same dealer on the next one. Sorry for the rant. Just extremely frustrated.

So, if you wouldn't mind posting a few pics of your 12v setups including inverters I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

rhodies1

Chances are the mini breakers located in your electrical compartment which controls the slides and maybe your legs have a reset on them which trips when they get over loaded.They do automatically reset when they cool down...This issue with slides stopping part way through the retract or opening has been a long term issue.Try swapping out the breakers with new none resetting breakers.Yes this will cost you 5 or 6 bucks each but save you alot of head aches.

danemayer

Hi squirlee,

We have 2 owner-written user guides that you may find helpful. One is the Hydraulic Slide Out Starts and Stops guide, and the other is a comprehensive Electrical user guide. They're both in this folder. They contain many pictures and diagrams and explicit instructions on what to look for and how to solve your problem.

Squirlee

Chances are the mini breakers located in your electrical compartment which controls the slides and maybe your legs have a reset on them which trips when they get over loaded.They do automatically reset when they cool down...This issue with slides stopping part way through the retract or opening has been a long term issue.Try swapping out the breakers with new none resetting breakers.Yes this will cost you 5 or 6 bucks each but save you alot of head aches.

Thanks. I already have a half dozen of the breakers and will be changing them out when I fix up the wiring. I am aware of the ongoing issues with hydraulics from reading the owners guides on this forum. It would do Heartland and my dealer some good to come read them as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi squirlee,

We have 2 owner-written user guides that you may find helpful. One is the Hydraulic Slide Out Starts and Stops guide, and the other is a comprehensive Electrical user guide. They're both in this folder. They contain many pictures and diagrams and explicit instructions on what to look for and how to solve your problem.

Thanks Dane. I have been using those guides to assist. The guides are awesome and I appreciate the work that owners have put into them. They care more than Heartland and my dealer do that is for sure. I have been able to fix issues using those guides that my dealer has repeatedly failed to figure out - repeatedly. When my fridge kept failing to run on the inverter they told me my fridge doesn't run off the inverter. This is after having it to them twice. Am I a bit jaded. Yes.

jbeletti

What assistance have you requested of Heartland where they seemed uninterested? Do you have the name of the customer service rep? Reason I ask is that I can pass this onto customer service management.

With regard to Heartland being uninterested due to the retirement of the Oakmont product, product retirements happen all the time and our customer service team doesn’t abandon our owners of that product. Warranties still in force are serviced and coaches out of warranty Get the same level of interaction as any unretired brand.

Sorry your experience has been different and that your dealer service is a failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squirlee

What assistance have you requested of Heartland where they seemed uninterested? Do you have the name of the customer service rep? Reason I ask is that I can pass this onto customer service management.

With regard to Heartland being uninterested due to the retirement of the Oakmont product, product retirements happen all the time and our customer service team doesn’t abandon our owners of that product. Warranties still in force are serviced and coaches out of warranty Get the same level of interaction as any unretired brand.

Sorry your experience has been different and that your dealer service is a failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am done with Heartland. The last rep I spoke to wasn't anything close to what you describe above. He blew me off about the crack down the side of my trailer even though the dealer (as incompetent as they are) said it was a manufacturing defect in how the trailer was assembled. He may as well have laughed in my face and said "they are all like that". There was zero concern for the issue nor was there any concern as to the cause. Heartland absolutely abandoned me. 100%. When my AC didn't work from day one Heartland blew me off multiple times as did my dealer. I had the trailer to the dealer 3 times and they told me they had contacted Heartland and they said "it is working as per manufacturers specs". The third time I had it there they even threatened to charge me for the diagnosis. It took me bringing out a backyard mechanic after a full season of not having the ac to determine it hadn't been working since day one AND he had a replacement authorized through Dometic. And that took him 40 minutes - in my back yard. I am absolutely done with the incompetence and ignorance of Heartland and my dealer. Never again and I will ensure my experience is shared.

Squirlee

Just an update if anyone is interested.

I re-did all of my 12 volt electrical including moving the converter into the front compartment with the other 12 volt stuff. Tonight is the first night we operated the slides and hydraulics.

The difference is unbelievable. The slides and hydraulic legs are running WAY faster than they ever did. When it was new it always felt like everything (especially the slides) was struggling. It has obviously been getting worse but I didn't notice. I want to say the slides and hydraulics are moving twice as fast. When my wife was pulling the slides in I was holding a pieced of plastic for the roller to roll onto (to protect the carpet) and I had to move my butt outta the way fast. Never had to do that before.

Thanks for everyone's input!