Riding out a hurricane in an RV?

Birchwood

We went through hurricane irene in our RV last year.We were foolishly on the beach in Prince Edward Island Canada
and it was a mistake.We had to retract all the slides in the middle of the night on the Landmark as the wind noise was high.
I am not saying you have to leave your area but try to be in a sheltered safe area or just close your Big Country and move to a
hotel for a couple nights.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Interestingly enough, people are flocking to this park. It's packed. We moved to the last available spot. And it looks like most of the seasonal folks are staying. Go figure. We've got Ellie in a sheltered spot out of reach of trees. And we've found a brick hotel that will take the kids. Thanks for all the thoughts and advice.

As long as you are not toughing it out in the Camper - The Hotel will be much safer...

TedS

I hope the brick motel is immune to losing services.

I'd leave the area as suggested.

Good luck. Be safe.

Herbiesrig

North Central Region Directors-Retired
I am with you John and Dar... We were in a cusp of a tornado 2 years ago in Texas, and it scared the bye-jeepers out of me.. It woke us up at 4:22 am in the morning. We had 5,000.00 damage on rig.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
BTW even if you have a generator you will find it difficult to find fuel for it with the power out because gas/diesel pumps and propane pumps will need power to operate. Hotels may or may not have power and BTW how many blankets do you have when the power goes out and there is no heat and it is 25-35 degrees? Even the hotel will be cold. Your choice but if it were me and my family...color us gone

robnmo

Just saw the thread, haven't read the other posts, but YES we did when in PA when whatever it's name was came through a year ago. We were evicted out of our 1000 trails in Hershey (really ticked me off at the time) we went to our job site and they let us set up there. BEST THING EVER HAPPENED was we were told to get out of the campground, couldn't even get to the campground for trees down and power lines and we didn't sleep all night, several times it felt like we were going over then moved down to Richmond, VA a week later and ended up staying in a Home Depot parking lot for several days hooked to a generator (you don't wanna know how gray tanks were dumped other than think a very sweet shampoo body wash smelling PORTAJON and some garden hose from HD) :)
We were in the panhandle of FL this summer when what's it's name came in and ended up hitting New Orleans and we again were also "evicted/evacuated" from the campground, they said just go up North about 20 miles......................we went about 200 if that tells you anything, we LEARNED IN PA. No idea what the other posts say, don't care. MOVE and put some distance between you and it's path. Be safe.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you're feeling lucky, go to Vegas. Otherwise, get the H*** out of there. I'd rather be a live chicken than dead gambler.

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Ditto here. We live in New Orleans, and we stayed for Isaac. NEVER, NEVER, AGAIN. Lost power for 5 days. Lost all of our food. No water damage, but alot of wind damage. Don't try to outsmart a hurricane. Please leave, and go far away, west, with your camper. IMHO. Be safe.

Leave now, Flying debris is just as hazardous as the wind and rain. Additionally, Once you have sustained damage it is to late to do anything except ride it out. DO NOT DEPEND ON WEATHER FORECASTS WHEN YOU MAY BE GAMBLING YOUR LIFE OR THE LIFE OF A LOVED ONE.

Dave49

Eric and Alice you asked the opinion of the posters on this forum. I think the general answer here is, you have wheels on that home and its unsafe to stay there. Sure you can put it away from the trees, and stay in a hotel that may not have power, or worse. Then when the storm is over you go back to an RV that is damaged and no one around for hundreds of miles to repair it due to the storm damage or because your in line with a bunch of other rv's being repaired. Now what are you going to do? Just another thought is all. The money your spending on that hotel is escape money from the storm IMO. If nothing happens in that CG you can always go back!

I am not trying to be sarcastic or anything of the sort. I know first hand that storms is not something you want to deal with if you don't have to in these things.

Dave

Last edited:

traveler44

Com-Ed is sending 700 workers from Chicago to help with recovery after the storm. They left yesterday and are supposed to stop short before they get to the worst of what is predicted. I guess by now everybody knows that this is supposed to be a real super storm with huge amounts of damage in it's path. I don't know any of these Com-Ed workers but when I heard that they were going as far as Boston and Philly I wonder if they won't be in danger too. If it was me I would head west and not wait until the roads are so packed that you can't leave at a decent speed. I think there will be a lot of people trying to leave if it starts getting real bad who will wish they had left before.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
As we drove from Myrtle Beach to Savannah and then on to Orlando, we saw several convoys of utility company bucket trucks heading north on I-95.

porthole

Retired
Just went out in the cyclone in the middle of a hurricane to check everything.
Was surprised at how quiet and steady the trailer was.
Athough it is right next to the house.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Ellie is fine. Just a few leaves stuck to her. And the ground underneath the trailer is dry! Waiting for the chili to finish simmering so we can eat dinner.

Sending thoughts and prayers to those who didn't get such an easy time of it. Two of our Heartland family have quite a bit of water damage according to their FB page. :( Calvin & Judy.

~Alice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

wdk450

Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E) from Northern California sent airliners with 300 hand picked experts to regroup in White Plains, N.Y. They are also sending a convoy of 60 trucks with 4 man driving crews, so that they will drive straight through (estimated 95 hours) to White Plains.

Dave49

Eric and Alice I am glad that you made it through the storm along with the trailer. Was quite concerned and looking for you to post.

Now we need to send out prayers for those that have there lives to put back together after this horrible storm.

Dave

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
I am glad to finally log onto the forum. Glad we didn't head west or we would have to wait for the snow to melt in order to come home.

I would say that I was terrified even though we were housed in a block building. Never experienced 100 mph winds and never want to again!

The bighorn was well served by our school bus wind block and did not suffer any damage. We even hauled it to our local firehouse and offered hot showers to those on duty and allowed them to come in and watch the sat news as their cable tv had been out for days.

Things are back to normal at our home but the area devastation will be felt for a very long time. Schools are closed for the remainder of the week!

We will continue to pray for our friends and family along the East coast who are suffering greatly from this storm.

dklaw

I am glad to finally log onto the forum. Glad we didn't head west or we would have to wait for the snow to melt in order to come home.

I would say that I was terrified even though we were housed in a block building. Never experienced 100 mph winds and never want to again!

The bighorn was well served by our school bus wind block and did not suffer any damage. We even hauled it to our local firehouse and offered hot showers to those on duty and allowed them to come in and watch the sat news as their cable tv had been out for days.

Things are back to normal at our home but the area devastation will be felt for a very long time. Schools are closed for the remainder of the week!

We will continue to pray for our friends and family along the East coast who are suffering greatly from this storm.

Glad to hear you guys are OK & no damage to your Bighorn or your home. Thoughts & prayers for any of the other Heartland Owners and any others that were not so lucky. We didn't get as much as predicted & were very lucky in upstate NY. Pretty much by-passed us. No flooding, no damage, no trees down. Remnants of rain & wind still here for a few more days though.