Riding out a hurricane in an RV?

TomMar

Retired Texas-South Chapter Leader
Born and raised on the Gulf Coast and been through several of these "blows", here is my 2cts. The wind will be trying to blow you over and/or blowing things at you, now add to that the tidal water surge, there is only one truly safe place and it is NOT anywhere in the path of the storm. Second issue - If you stay and things get real bad there will be no emergency services to come help until the wind slows down. They have to suspend services during the worst part of the storm. Horace Greely said "go west young man, go west". Take his advise

Our prayers are with you no matter where you go.

porthole

Retired
In my job we do not "suspend" emergency services. But you may have to wait on a que.
We leave that to the coast guard.

iPhone using Tapatalk

TomMar

Retired Texas-South Chapter Leader
You're all hero's for standing in when everyone else is running . . . . .

PeternLiane

I guess it could be done. We rode out a wind storm in our NT. We had sustained hurricane winds (no rain) with gusts around 100 and over for 2 days. It did great.

Rottiesmom

New York Chapter Leader - retired
The year of Hurricane Floyd I worked in it through our Emergency Services rescuing people out of cars and homes because the waters raised too fast plus handing medical emergencies on top of it my advice to you is to pack up and head west or south west until this storm passes. It's hard enough to deal with them in a home forget about an RV I would not be hanging around. Good luck and be safe

jimtoo

Eric and Alice,,, if your just there visiting,,,got it paid for the month...so you loose a few days.. PACK UP,,, get out of Dodge....head SouthWest a couple hundred miles for a few days. Then go back and look at all the damage. Hurricanes/Tropical storms do not leave pretty footprints.
Jim M

TheLindsays

I have lived in Fl ... land of the hurricane/tropical storms..most of my life... we first moved here when I was a kid in a single wide trailer as my Dad was in the Air Force.. went to Homestead and parked in a park for military just outside the base.. we were evacuated to base apartments .. when we went home ours was standing and the next street over looked like match sticks... the first thing thats evacuated here are trailers and those are built better to withstand a storm and are tied down .. the worst part of these storms are not the high winds but the tornados that are on the outskirts of the storms...so if you want to ride it out in a trailer during a tornado... I personally would have planned an evac route.. if you don't want to move the trailer leave and go to a hotel out of town and come back but be safe.. the trailer you can replace.. people ... not so much :).. be safe

Dave49

Time to head west, there is no other reasonable choice in my eyes. We have wheels so we can travel, so why not travel. Loose a little bit on a monthly stay and live. Just another adventure that wasn't expected. Gatlinburg would be pretty this time of the year for sure.

Dave

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
We've found a different spot in the campground, no trees, where we can park Ellie. We're looking for a hotel that will take all the pets. Alternatively, driving back to my cousin's house in NH. We'll see. Keep your fingers crossed. :)

Noobie

For the key issue, I have 2 sets of keys hidden on the outside of my trailer in different spots, unless you know where to look you will never find them

jnbhobe

Try useing whats left of the key or a screw driver to see if it will turn (be carefull not to bend anything) You may be able to jimmy it. Witch lock is it?? deadbolt or latch.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Eric was able to use tweezers to finish unlocking. Whew. It's the latch. I dont think I brought my teeny nosed pliers. :( we can still use the deadbolt just fine. I'm thinking we'll worry about it after the hurricane.

If we can't get it out ourself, do you think a lock smith could help or should we should just order a new lock?

When we get a new key made for me, I'm requesting titanium or something. I wasn't turning it that hard. :/

jnbhobe

I never use the latch lock the dead bolt works better, I can pop the latch with no problem. Take the lock out and take it to a lock smith I bet he can fix you right up.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have been in our home during Hurricane Rita and Ike and our Landmark was parked in our driveway next to the house. The jacks and stabilizers were down and slides in. We had 107 mph winds on both but the house helped block the wind from the RV. My advise is not go west but southwest to middle or northern Alabama or Missippi. Ohio is predicted for a cold front with snow from this storm and anywhere around NJ or NY or the coast is no where to be in an RV. Move and do it now while you can. Remember many other will be moving too and you may find RV parks and hotels full. Remember also if you stay you will be without power and possibly water for some time after the storm. We were without power and water for 2 weeks following Rita and Ike. Why chance it? Be smart and move.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Interestingly enough, people are flocking to this park. It's packed. We moved to the last available spot. And it looks like most of the seasonal folks are staying. Go figure. We've got Ellie in a sheltered spot out of reach of trees. And we've found a brick hotel that will take the kids. Thanks for all the thoughts and advice.