RO water filter

Occo

FYI. Has anyone installed an RO water filter in their rig? We had a motorhome for years before we got our Bighorn and I installed an RO system in it and was very pleased with the water quality it gave us where ever we went. We found water quality was pretty poor in most of the parks we stayed in with smell and taste. The RO system takes all that out. Makes great water for ice, drinks, coffee, and cooking. The only advice I have is to be sure you shut it off when not connected to sewer. Leave the grey water valve open when using it. It runs a lot of water when making RO water. Can overfill the tank quickly if it is left closed. They are about $125.0 for a 5 stage unit. I think Premier is the best unit.

Happy RV’ing, Bill :cool:

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Whirlpool makes a two canister filter that we use in the house that works great. Takes up a lot less room as well. I am going to install one in our 5er. I already have a filter outside that will catch a lot and then the drinking/cooking water will go thru the two stage filter. This system doesn't run water all the time only when using.

lwmcguir

We use the new style GE unit. It shuts off when the Permeate tank is full. Recovery is about 50% so you will create some waste (reject) water to fill your tank or go down the sewer. Watch when you buy a small unit. Many dont off the shut off feature and they waste water all the time.

lwmcguir

Should have noted above. RO performance is directly affected by the "boost pressure" or water system PSIG feeding it. The permeate side should only go to the tank that comes with the unit or a retrofit tank.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Go to homedepot/lowes, buy the standard water filter housing which uses the 10" long charcoal filters. This will work, takes out the dirt/trash, smell/taste. Change the filter about once a year whether you need to or not. Ametek is one brand and there are many others, the filter elements are pretty much standard across the usa.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Go to homedepot/lowes, buy the standard water filter housing which uses the 10" long charcoal filters. This will work, takes out the dirt/trash, smell/taste. Change the filter about once a year whether you need to or not. Ametek is one brand and there are many others, the filter elements are pretty much standard across the usa.

Lowes sells the Whirlpool brand and I currently use it in my house. I will be installing one in my 5er as soon as I de-winterize. The model we use has a seperate faucet that is your drinking/cooking water. It has a battery that you replace every time you replace the filters (approx 4 months) that seems to work on a countdown and flashes a light to signal replacement. I'm not even going to use the battery in the 5er just replace the filters once a year.