Securing electric awnings

Sandie

Has anyone come up with a way to secure electric awnings? Loved our manual awnings and the ease of securing them with de-flappers and a ratchet strap, but these electric ones are driving me nuts.

Sandie

But what about the flapping of the awning fabric? I would love to put de-flappers to secure it and I still have 4 of them, but how is the question.

jayc

Legendary Member
I've seen people use the awning bows that arch the fabric up to secure the edges of awnings. I believe you can buy the bows at Camping World or other RV supply stores.

Birchwood

Awnings are designed to flex with moderate wind and if you try securing it they will start to tear.When it becomes windy we retract the awning
and when we leave the RV we also retract the awning.Thats the beauty of an electric awning ,just toggle the switch .

ILH

It depends on the style of awning. On my previous TT by SOB, the design was such that it was ok to strap it down at the corners. However, with my Road Warrior, the design, as you state, requires flexing - and you CAN'T tie it down (and that's aside from the fact that it's about 10 feet above ground).

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've seen some folks with electric awnings using the orange (cargo) ratchet straps to hold them down all season, without a problem. From our previous TT, I have a set of awning tie-downs that have a spring between the strap and ground anchor. Gives it some flex without it being able to take off. But since I got a Patty-o-Shade and secure it to the ground with bungee cords, I normally don't use them. That arrangement seems to keep the awning from bouncing too much in the breeze. Much easier to pop off the bungees and roll up the awning with the shade still attached to the roller if it gets really nasty.

I do remove the shade for winter storage, though.