Seeking tow vehicle recommendation

APT

Any of the big 3 3/4+ ton diesels will do well with that TT. If there is a 5er in your future, get a 1-ton SRW for the minimal upgrade cost. You can also check out Ford's HD payload package F-150. 4x4 crew cabs with 2100 pounds of payload, extended cabs with 2400+ pounds. It comes with Ford's Ecoboost 3.5L which does well at altitude, plenty of power, and better unloaded ride than the 3/4+ ton trucks.

FordMan1966

Lots of Opinions... I am happy with my 2011 F350 DRW PSD with 3:73 Gear. It tows my 2013 Landmark great. Might be an overkill for a 26 ft. but would definitely buy the Ford PSD. I just turned over 10,000 miles and it has had the Oil changed 2 times and that is it. No other Service issues. That is what I like about a Ford they are made to drive and not set in the Service Department like the 2 other brands. I have a Chevy Impala Company Car and know all of the Service Department Guys on a first name basis because I have to have so much service work done on that Chevy.
Brand Preference I guess...

rick_debbie_gallant

Ya, well guys I have a 2008 Dodge Ram with DRW. I am getting 20 to 21 mpg unloaded and and about 20 mpg* pulling our BH3670rl.

*but then that is going down a pretty good grade, in neutral, with a tailwind and DW pushing for all she is worth.

ctuna0203

The new ford has a 6.2 gas engine that would do the job, but if you are going to do mountain pulling then a diesel would be better. A gasoline engine cannot handle the thin air at higher elevation. I have a 2008 F350 with over 115,000 miles and have had no problems it is also a crew cab. The one problem with a diesel is the upkeep, be prepared because it uses 15 quarts at each oil change. Not trying to scare you but if you keep up the maintenance you will never be sorry you got a diesel. It will pay for itself over and over. Oh yes Ford is my preferred tow vehicle, and if you don't plan on using 4x4 save money get a 4x2 better fuel mileage

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Not correct, many get this! Mine averages between 12.5 and 14.8 depending on speed (usually about 65). My 7.3 got about 11

larev

So it's been 3 weeks since I posted this. Thanks to everybody for your input. We're just beginning to actually look at some trucks. Since my wife has been looking at the relative cost of diesels vs gasoline trucks as well as the relative cost of fuel, she's not so sure we need to go diesel. I'm putting together a print out for her of the comments of the experts here. (NOTE: definition of "expert" from the Dictionary of Female English = "An expert is anyone who isn't your husband.")

Apparently, doing a cost-benefit analysis of diesel trucks compared to gasoline for towing trailers in mountains is pretty counter-intuitive for those of us who are new to all of this. The general impression I get is that overall, we'll be better off with a diesel. Is there something important I'm missing?

mikeandconnie

If you plan to use it for many long trips, a aux tank is the way to go. Diesel is the only safe way for a Aux Tank. Some trucks have 28 Gallon Tanks, so that means you better start looking for fuel after 1 1/2 hours of towing. When we ran out of fuel out west in the desert, my wife was not happy with me:mad:. We sold the truck the next week and now have a 10 hour fuel range. One fuel stop a day on long trips and none on short trips. Also you can save a few $ by selected locations to fuel. Try to get a truck with at least 36 gallon tank. Just my 10 cent worth.

Last edited:

tmcran

One day you will want to trade. The diesel will get you greater return when it comes to trade are sell. Also towing can be stressful at times. In mountains the diesel with a engine brake can really make a difference in safety and piece of mind.

danemayer

One day you will want to trade. The diesel will get you greater return when it comes to trade are sell. Also towing can be stressful at times. In mountains the diesel with a engine brake can really make a difference in safety and piece of mind.
Absolutely correct. Everyone worries about getting UP the mountain. Getting DOWN safely is a much bigger deal.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I used to be afraid of getting a diesel because I didn't know that much about them except that big trucks used them. Then I bought my first one (1999) and have not been sorry since. I am on my 3rd diesel (my choice) and would not want to tow without one. In my mind diesels are made for towing so why would you want anything else if you are going to tow?