Self-filling fresh water tank

squire

We have a 2011 Cyclone 3950HD. When we set up at the park in July, my fresh water tank was empty. We don't use it since we never dry camp. I rarely look at the level on the display but I just happened to check it yesterday and it is showing 1/3 full. I shut off the shore water and ran the pump and verified I do have water in the tank. Is it possible that a check valve has failed and is allowing shore water to backflow through the pump into the tank?

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have a ShurFlo 5.7 pump and have the same issue. I was told by the folks at Shurflo that this pump does not have a check-valve in it.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Take a look and see if you can find a small brass ball valve in between the pump and where the tubing comes out of the belly. There may be a shut off valve. This would prevent water from getting back to the tank. If not, you can install one easy enough.

TedS

2psnapod2, I think the Shurflo person you talked to is mis-informed. The pump is a multi-piston pump and must have check valves for each piston, both suction and pressure in order to work. The check valves ensure that flow goes in only one direction, out the pump. Debris in the check valves may keep them from seating properly. You should be able to take the pump end apart and make sure it is clean.

http://www.shurflo.com/files/4-Cont...ge/Pump-Repair-Kits/5901Replacement Parts.pdf

Last edited: