Self leveling system. Cyclone 4114 & RW400

We will be purchasing a Cyclone 4114 or a RW 400 this week. I originally wanted to get this self leveling system. However the Dealerships pretty much talked me out of it.. They said the placement of the middle jack ( in front of the 1st tire ) causes issues. They told me that the jack sits way to low when its fully retracted and have seen many people come back to service with the jack bent because it sits very low and hits things. Fixing this is a 10k$ project ( so I am told ) I have been told this by 2 completely separate dealerships both of which are huge and well known. I have a buddy that swares by the 6 point leveling system and says I HAVE TO GET IT. I'm just wondering why if this system is so good they don't automatically have it on the CY4114 and RW400, these 2 rigs are top of the line, but none that I looked at had it, in fact I only saw it on a RW425. Also if this system is so great why would the dealerships try to talk me out of it? Is there a issue with the lay out on the CY4114 and RW400 that cause some issues with this system?

By the way It has to be one of those lay outs because we need the 14' garage and don't want to go any bigger, can't go smaller.

Thx in advanced for the reply's !

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Gnarlymilk and welcome to the forum. Lots of good information here along with a lot of differing opinions.
I don't understand why a dealer would try to talk a customer out of something. Unless he just wants to move what he has sitting on the lot. He is paying on those trailers so the longer they sit the more it costs him.
I have had the LevelUp system for nearly four years now and have not had a problem with either jack near the wheels. Or any others.
Nor have I heard of anyone tearing it up.
A $10 K repair project? The entire system could be replaces for less than half that amount.
Personally I would not be without it.
These are just my opinions.

Peace
Dave

jnbhobe

I agree with Dave I have had level up for years and never had a problem.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

danemayer

If what the dealers told you was accurate, I can assure you that complaints would be lighting up this forum. Since that's not happening, I think perhaps they are not giving you an accurate picture.

Also, just as a "what if?", imagine running over something big enough to bend the middle landing jack that's in front of the tires, causing extensive damage. What do you think would happen if the jack weren't there. The damage would be to the tires, wheels, and axles. Maybe the owners they're talking about ran into some large obstacle and caused damage to the jack and everything behind it. That could get to a pretty high repair bill. But running over a large obstacle would be driver error, not the jack being too low.

As Cookie said, dealers want to sell what they have. Why did they order those units without the auto-leveling? Probably because they think the lower price point is easier to sell.

The "should I get auto-leveling" question comes up from time to time on the forum. The answer is that pretty much everyone who has it says they would never buy another RV without it.

pegmikef

I'm not sure, but I think the six point level up system is optional on almost all Heartland trailers. A lot of folks have had it or similar system added after market. It is cheapest if it is installed when the trailer is built. I have only had it for six or seven months, but I will never do without it again.

KRCyclone

6 point system is awesome. This is our first RV and it was on there when we purchased. The rear jacks will drag in and out of our driveway and I have been into a couple of camping spaces where they drug. So far I have not seen any damage because of it.

Ladiver

I opted for the 6 point leveling and would not change that decision. Your dealer just wants to sell what is on their lot. I would not buy from them if they will not get you what you want. This BS about "If the coach has 80% of what you are looking for, then that is the one for you" is pure sales. I say if it is not exactly what you want, order it!

I too had all the socal dealers say that the level up and dual pane windows was a complete waste of money. Not according to me or my wife!

Good luck on your purchase.

Jeff

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
The 6-point level up system does hang down slightly lower, but nothing you should be concerned about unless you are taking the unit into extreme conditions. I have only heard of one customer have damage and it was to a rear jack (because they got stuck leaving a gas station that had a steep incline in their lot). We leave 6 point optional for customers to choose weather or not they want the option, I can tell you that we are seeing a significant increase in the amount of customers that are ordering there units with the level up option. The decision really comes down to what is best for you and your needs, but the level up option is very user friendly and most people love the option.

kowAlski631

We will never have an RV without the level-up. Those dealers want you to lighten up their inventory. Like many have said, you i
best believe that if there were issues, it wouldn't be a secret.

Martha

Paul & Martha

Life's too short. Live so you can say "Remember when" not "I wish I had".

iowaone

We have had our for about a year. Would never go back. Especially when you have three axels. Love the level up.

Clovdahl

Love the six jack self leveling on our Cyclone 4000. We went over a steep entry, and the jack didn't drag......but it really raised heck on the spare tire. And then the tire into the license plate bracket. Not putting our spare tire back under there again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

porthole

Retired
They said the placement of the middle jack ( in front of the 1st tire ) causes issues. They told me that the jack sits way to low when its fully retracted and have seen many people come back to service with the jack bent because it sits very low and hits things. Fixing this is a 10k$ project ( so I am told ) I have been told this by 2 completely separate dealerships both of which are huge and well known.

Don't see how that is possible - "many" "$10,000 repairs"

I think your dealer is misinformed. Maybe you could ask him to supply pictures so we all can learn from his experience.

Thanks a ton for all the reply's! I figured the dealerships wee just trying to move inv... I just thought at a min they would try to sell me on it as a added feature.. Well After looking at a CY4114 I think we found our first choice however this one did not have the 6 point leveling ither.. I can not find one anywhere close ( RW400 or CY4114 ) with the 6 point levelUp system. Oh and another thing, the CY4114 and RW400 all say they have a heated garage, each one we have looked at does not have the heat vent, each dealer has said this is a minor fix and they can just put a register in the floor and plumb it to the existing duct that stops right before the garage... We were hoping to have it purchased for Pres. day but we have decided that we are not going to settle.. So as of now the search continues !

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you don't find what you want on the lot, just have the dealer order exactly what you do want.
If you want the LevelUp, second or third AC, dual panes, genny, whatever, they can order it. If it's available as an option that is.
You might have a six to eight week or more wait for your order so Presidents day will be out of the question.
But, IMHO, better to wait and get what you want than to just settle.

Peace
Dave

kowAlski631

We ordered our BH since we DIDN'T want to settle on any aspect. Yes, we had to wait, but we have no regrets. Good luck whatever your decision.

Paul & Martha

Life's too short. Live so you can say "Remember when" not "I wish I had".

Well yea I was hoping for Pres. day but in all honesty the waiting is not the issue. I wish I could say "I don't care what it cost, I want what I want" but that's not the reality. We have priced out quite a few RW and Cyclones and the best price we can get them to is about 68k(ish) which is right about at our max. I'm guessing if I Ordered one I could not get in that price range? I assume that when you order one they kinda have the upper hand on the cost. :/

porthole

Retired
Well yea I was hoping for Pres. day but in all honesty the waiting is not the issue. I wish I could say "I don't care what it cost, I want what I want" but that's not the reality. We have priced out quite a few RW and Cyclones and the best price we can get them to is about 68k(ish) which is right about at our max. I'm guessing if I Ordered one I could not get in that price range? I assume that when you order one they kinda have the upper hand on the cost. :/

When I ordered my Cyclone, the best deal I got from any dealer was the unit I ordered. They were very competitive price wise and they charged dealer cost for all the upgrades we did.

Order what you want if you can rather then settling for something the dealer wants to move off their lot. Had you mentioned it in the first post that they were offering stock, non level up units, it would have made more sense.

BTW, don't get too excited about heat in the garage. Not exactly a strong point.

Gary521

There is an alternative leveling system to the hydraulic one and that is electric. Lippert sells the Ground Control. I installed this myself and it does an excellent job. The electric system has the option of mounting the leveling jacks higher on the chassis, if you so desire more ground clearance. I did this and use leveling blocks under the rear jacks to make up any distance issues that I run across. I have the 4 point model but a 6 point is also available. The neat thing about this system is the remote control. I can raise or lower the front end of the trailer while sitting in the truck to hook or unhook. Neat and fast.

TXTiger

You need to address two issues. 1. Price 2. Options. I shopped the internet to find a Cyclone with the options I had to have and got a great price from a dealer who had one on his lot. The dealer gave me a great price, much lower than any of my local dealers. It didn't have the 6 point level up system but the discount was 2x more than the cost to add the level up so I went for it. If you can find one that has many of the options you want at a price that would cover the cost of adding the options you want then you have a great deal. If the dealer has a unit missing some option, negotiate with them to lower the price to cover the cost of adding the option. If you can't find one with the must have options or the dealer won't lower the price to cover adding the options then your best bet would be to order one with the options you want and pay the price of an ordered unit.

When I ordered my Cyclone, the best deal I got from any dealer was the unit I ordered. They were very competitive price wise and they charged dealer cost for all the upgrades we did.

Order what you want if you can rather then settling for something the dealer wants to move off their lot. Had you mentioned it in the first post that they were offering stock, non level up units, it would have made more sense.

BTW, don't get too excited about heat in the garage. Not exactly a strong point.

That's interesting, ill have to look into that. I assume you just ordered through the dealership you were working with right? Not like you went direct through heartland? Also as far as the heating yea I know the ammount of heat that's gets pushed into the garage is small but that's where our kids would be staying so my wife is super gung-ho on the "heat in the garage" I have talked with a few people that installed new vents that you can open and close through out the rig, so you can close off most except the garage and get more heat forced into the garage... When I was a kid we had tents and sleeping bags and a fire...So if it was up to me... but happy wife = happy life ? lol