sewer smell- need help

Sandy485

Thanks, that reminds me....we didn't do that this time. We had an issue with our fresh water. We don't keep water in our tank. We saw a puddle and looked and here was water overflowing from the water connection.. Apparently there is a check valve that probably went bad. Just another day in paradise.

wdk450

THANK YOU so much!!! I thought something was wrong when I saw all these tiny dead bugs in the shower but didn't think anything about it. We go away every other weekend. This was a longer trip and OMG I was so grossed out at these dang flies. Do you have any issues with the smell that seemly starts in the bathroom closet. I know the sewer line runs up the side of the closet. My hubby went on the roof and check the valve and it was okay. I am beginning to wonder if it wasn't the dang flies. Oh I am still grossed out lol. Thank you again.

One issue that has been noted on this forum is that the factory doesn't seem to get the black tank vent pipe to the roof sealed completely to the tank, thus allowing odors behind the walls. Other users have said that the sewer vent at the roof is too close to the roof vents, or that the roof ending of the vent pipe is too low allowing sewer gases into the layers of the roof, and back inside the RV. Many people swear by the rooftop vent pipe wind suction attachments like these:

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Holding-Tank-Ventilation-s/72.htm

Sandy485

Thank you! I will definitely check that out. I tried to use my hairdryer and the smell must be in the electronics because I turned it on and wanted to puke it smelled so bad.

wdk450

Thank you! I will definitely check that out. I tried to use my hairdryer and the smell must be in the electronics because I turned it on and wanted to puke it smelled so bad.

Take your hair dryer outside, isolate it from flammable surfaces, and turn it on high for about 20 minutes or so. It might cook out the offensive smell.

Bobby A

Picture of a Studor Air Admittance Valve is attached. If the valve fails, air from the tank can enter the living area. If the valve is suspect, temporarily place a baggie over it and tape in place. If the odor diminishes, replace the valve. You can find them at Lowes or Home Depot.

This Studor Valve you all speak of, is it suppose to be screwed down tight ?? After I read this Thread I checked mine and both the kitchen and the bath seem to be not all the way tight, I can see several threads, so it appears its only on by a couple threads.

Thank you,
Bobby

danemayer

This Studor Valve you all speak of, is it suppose to be screwed down tight ?? After I read this Thread I checked mine and both the kitchen and the bath seem to be not all the way tight, I can see several threads, so it appears its only on by a couple threads.

Thank you,
Bobby

I wouldn't worry about how many threads are showing, but if it's loose, I would hand tighten it.

Bobby A

I wouldn't worry about how many threads are showing, but if it's loose, I would hand tighten it.

Thank you Dan, also, I have heard of people removing it and hand washing it, is this correct ?? clean with some time of soap and water I would assume ?? Thank you, Bobby

SLO

Thank you Dan, also, I have heard of people removing it and hand washing it, is this correct ?? clean with some time of soap and water I would assume ?? Thank you, Bobby

The rubber piece in the air admittance valve gets old and stiff. Debris shouldn’t get in it unless the grey tank has backed up or sink has plugged. If it’s not working just replace. It’s 1 1/2” mip thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danemayer

Bobby,

I haven't heard of this approach, but if the valve isn't working correctly, it might be worth a try. If cleaning doesn't help, wrap a baggie around it until you get a new one.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Bobby,

I haven't heard of this approach, but if the valve isn't working correctly, it might be worth a try. If cleaning doesn't help, wrap a baggie around it until you get a new one.

When I checked mine a while ago, they were a bit dusty, so I did wash them off and manipulate the rubber disc to check its condition. All good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

One last thing on those persistent sewer flies: They are attracted to light, and because of the skylight in the shower you see them there more. I use this light attraction in the placement of my sticky traps, and run certain lights away from the bedroom all night with a sticky trap near the light.

JohnDar

Sewer flies. Do they somehow grow in the tank on their own or do they come up via a tank valve that’s left open?

Lou_and_Bette

Sewer flies. Do they somehow grow in the tank on their own or do they come up via a tank valve that’s left open?

John, that is one of the reasons I don’t leave my grey lines open. I read about this problem on the Escapees Forum when we were just getting started on this full-time journey we are on.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I think that those pesty little flies are seasonal. Seems we get them at home every year about this time. I know others that are having the same problem now.
I'm gonna try one of those elimination methods mentioned in the link that I provided in an earlier post.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

John, that is one of the reasons I don’t leave my grey lines open. I read about this problem on the Escapees Forum when we were just getting started on this full-time journey we are on.

Had to ask since I’ve read some owners leave their tanks open to the sewer so they don’t have to bother to dump them. Not a wise decision, IMO.

Any cooties in my tanks get to ride the rapids every few days.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

Same here. Valves closed. They’re called holding tanks for a reason...
BTW-never heard of “sewer flies” until this post. Flies by a lot of other names but...