Shakey 5ver.

sdagro

Would NOT using 6x6 wooden blocks under my front landing gear lessen the movement we are experiencing in my 5ver. We have the JT Strong-Arm stabilizer in front and rear as well as a strap tightening type at mid-ship and am still experiencing severe movement on my 38 ft Bighorn. Thanks in advance for your replies. Steve A. Dagro

boatdoc

Hi Steve, On our 3670 I put standard junkyard scissor jacks just in front of the front spring hangers on each side after leveling and give them a good tightening. Works well and many others do the same at the park here. We also use the JT's but found with the length of this monster they just could'nt do it all.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I agree, we have scissors jacks mid ship as well as front JT's. I haven't installed the rear JT's yet and hope that will finish the job.

On edit. Good wheel chocks help a lot.

Last edited:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Before we had the Bigfoot Autoleveling system we had the JT Strongarm System on our 2008 BH3400RE. I followed the instructions and it was very stable. Very little movement.

Mainly, get the trailer level side to side, raise the nose up to almost level. Drop the rear stabilizers where they just start to raise the rear. Raise the front about 2" and it should be stable.

The manual may be in the forum WiKi but if not here is the link to a 32meg PDF.
http://jtrv.com/images/products/jack_stabilizer/5thWheel_instructs.pdf

BC

caissiel

Picture or Video 003.jpgPicture or Video 004.jpgI have been using truck box cargo holders for one year now and been very satisfied with the service. I brace my front legs from side to side and not just center to side.
I am able to tighten the holders tight against the legs. I use 2 up front, 1 on each side on the front legs and 1 on each side at the back stabilizer. But lately I just use one on one side and the 2 front ones and it stabilizes so that the washing machine don't vibrate the whole trailer. I never put more then a 2 x 6 on my landing legs because you need to be lower to anchor, and I almost droped my trailer on my friends box one day, and no way I will put blocks any higher then 2 x 6. 2 x 8 split so no advantage. If you don't put any lumber the leg steel foot will bend under load.

An other thing that stabilizes the trailer is the modification of the shock angle. the more upright shocks are much more efficient at stabilizing the center of the trailer. If shocks don't help the ride they sure help in stabilizing the unit.

Last edited:

Riverman

I have been using truck box cargo holders for one year now and been very satisfied with the service. I brace my front legs from side to side and not just center to side.

Can you post some pictures?
We also have this stabilty problem and are considering the JT Stabilizers

Hoosier Wolverine

I would NOT recommend using 6 x 6's under the front jacks. I NEVER use anything thicker than a 2 x 6. I've seen a couple cases where higher blocks were used, disasterously. When backing the TV to hitch up, the trailer can be bumped off the taller blocks, dropping it on the bed rails.