Shower base crack

sjs731

Well I got our rig out of storage today and got it home and proceeded to flush the antifreeze out and sanitize the freshwater tank. When I went to run the shower faucet I noticed what looked like a hair on the shower floor which was odd since I cleaned it all out before it got put away. Naturally it is a long crack in the floor is the shower. Not sure how it happened but I called the nearest Heartland dealer and off I go tomorrow to get it fixed.

Steve and Carrie
HOC #2252
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ParkIt

That's odd since it sounds like you had it winterized properly, keep us posted. I can't think of what would cause it aside from a too thin unit off the factory line???

sjs731

ParkIt, I am meticulous when it comes to our rig. I even blow the lines out before running antifreeze through. Pour antifreeze into all the traps. I have no idea what happened. It is about 6" long away from the drain about as far as it could be. Baffled the dealer too.

Steve and Carrie
HOC#2252
Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk

olcoon

I've noticed cracks in the floor of our Elk Ridge, also. The only thing I can figure out that could cause them is the underlayment under the shower floor isn't very good. Ever since we've had it certain spots in the floor would flex when you step on them.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Can y'all post some pics? I notice ours "gives" a little when stepping in.

sjs731

Sorry TravelTiger. No pics and the next time I see it it should be fixed.

Steve and Carrie
HOC #2252

ParkIt

Got a chance to talk to my son this weekend, he's a plumber and he did some checking after you posted this. What he found is the pans and enclosures are made by the same company that make residential lines at the same factories and while you can't see it for awhile, they can crack in transport or on installation and you wouldn't know it until age finally forms a crack you can see. He also said there is a patch kit that can be used though he isn't a fan of them since its a bit of a temporary fix. The less often its used, the longer it takes for it to show up so it was a defect on install but there isn't any way to know when it happened. Unfortunately the best fix is to replace the pan or enclosure.

And yes, they are supposed to flex since there has to be open space below for the drain.