Slide out supports?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Dennis
I don't think you need supports for the slide outs. I have never used any and have been fulltiming for 3 years. I think only older SOB's have used supports, I have never seen a Heartland with supports.

FWIW
BC

jbeletti

I've been told it's not a recommended practice - that the slide rooms do not require it and in fact, if pressure is taken off at the outside edge of the room, it could push some force in other places. That said, I've never lived in an RV for more than a couple weeks at a time, so I have no real world experience with a slide room out for months at a time.

Jim

Elevatorman

There are a lot of units sitting on dealer lots for months at a time with the slides always out. Any of us that bought at the years end would be having problems with them, and posting here on the forum. Doesn't seem to be so.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We live in our Bighorn, and sit over the winter for six months...there is no need for slide supports. In fact, I would not recommend them. If something shifts of drops, like a tire going flat, etc....you could cause some real damage to the slide mechanism....JMHO!

dennis2188

Thanks for all your answers. I did not have supports on my other trailer, so I don't think I'll get them for this trailer.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We also have stayed for sometime with the slides extended. We have neveer supported them nor have we had any difficulty in operation of the slides due to this.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We left ours extended without supports from May to mid-September with no problems. At the end of the season, I just pressed the switch and they retracted without hesitation.

JerryJ

So it seems that slideout stabilizers are really not needed? I just bought a 27BHS with the superslide which has the dinette and sleeper couch, I was worried about problems later down the road but it seems maybe they are not needed? Any word on what the manufacture has to say about using supports?

lwmcguir

If you use supports, what do you do when a tire goes down or the wheel settles? Shouldn't need them if the slide is engineered properly.