Slides in or out when auto leveling?

Ok so we have had multiple people give us opposing answers for this question and would like your input. On our 2015 Big Country we have the 6 point auto leveling and have been told to put the slides out first and then level. Others say level first before putting out the slides. Which is it? Is one method harmful?

BLHFUN

Agreed on level first. If you are not on level ground, you could be torqued left or right and have flex in the frame. I've always been of the opinion that cranked, torqued or just plain not level, you're at risk of torquing something on the slides when extending or bringing them in. Being level means your extending level as well. You can always check level after your slides are out. im not concerned with the bedroom, but a full slide that includes a very heavy refrigerator like mine, I'm alway level before it moves. Just my opinion

pegmikef

Documentation with my North Trail TT specified that the jacks should always be down before extending the slide(s) so there is more support on the sides where the slides are extended. I figure the same is true with my BH so I always level first.

Jim.Allison

Probably no harm in either method, but it would seem to me that you would want a level, stable and secure platform before you extend your sliders. Whether it is just the landing gear or the 6 point, I think to error on the side of caution is the name of the game.

Ok so we have had multiple people give us opposing answers for this question and would like your input. On our 2015 Big Country we have the 6 point auto leveling and have been told to put the slides out first and then level. Others say level first before putting out the slides. Which is it? Is one method harmful?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Common sense tells me that the trailer should be leveled and jacked before the slide is put out!

That being said, I do put the slide out before we leave on a trip without the trailer being leveled and jacked just so I can vacuum and load up without having to squeeze through the trailer while getting ready for a trip!

We park the trailer next to our garage when not in use . . . and there is not enough room to open up the slide when parked in it's storage space.

However, one of the reasons that we chose our Heartland Trail Runner was due to the fact that the trailer can be used when the slide out is in.

It is a tight squeeze to get from the living room to the bathroom . . . but no big deal!

Cathy and I are both tall and skinny (within reason :p ), so we can get through the gap with no problems . . .

Almost every other trailer we looked at was almost non-usable when the slide outs were in . . .

No pole vaulting required!

In other words, we can walk from end to end in our trailer when the slide out is in.

busted2341

Is it just me or when I auto level all slides are in, however once we open up the slides and I would assume since the heaviest weight is on the off door side with bedroom and LR side with Fridg etc...we seem to be off level just enouhg for doors to swing?...No biggie just annoying....Is it really a problem to level with slides open? I would undertand if you were really off level but on a faily level site?

avvidclif

A recent experience, not with the slides but with the front awning. We pulled into a spot that was fairly level and since it was raining decided to run out the front awning so I wouldn't get wet while operating the Auto-Level. The awning would not go out, it was in a bind in the mounting on the side of the RV. I leveled the RV (umbrella) and then the awning worked fine, no problem. That tells me the frame/rv was tweaked just enough to bind the awning. I don't have to guess about the slides.

Therefore I always level first and then extend the slides. I had always done it that way but that convinced me it was the right way to do it.

kowAlski631

We level first and then extend the slides. If you're getting door swing, use a level and validate that it's truly the trailer off level. You might need to recalibrate the auto level. We've done that - not hard to do.

busted2341

Thanx for the input...Will be finding a REAL level spot to do that. Let me ask. Where is the first level performed? Do they do that at the factory before it leaves or done by the dealer?