SLIDES.... In or Out

Rodbuster

There has been a question srarted just today on a similar subject concerning leveling your RV. I didn't want to Hi-Jack his thread so I started this one.

I've heard both sides on this so I was wondering if I could get the opinions from some of the vets to 5th wheeling'

I have a Landmark with the auto-leveling system. Should I put all my slides "out" before I hit the auto-level button, or should I level my unit and put the slides out after?
Same question again, but in reverse.... for when I'm hitching up the RV.

Thank you
Dick

TheMeltons

Brett Melton
Every dealer I have talked to always say to level it first before you put the slides out, saves on the gears and ware and tare on the slids, makes sense

danemayer

I'm not sure how much difference it makes, but it seems intuitive that a narrower profile (slides in) would be easier to adjust left-to-right.

When I unhitch, leveling seems the obvious next thing to do. After we're level, my DW starts on the inside and pushes the bedroom and doorside slides out. I have her wait on the off doorside slide until I've got the utilities hooked up, just so the slide isn't in my way. She's got enough to do that she's not waiting on me.

When closing up, I will often manually raise the rear jacks and then adjust the front to hitch up, while the slides are still out.

Last edited:

sjs731

I have done it both ways (slides in and slides out). It is easier to get to the wheel with the slides in. I always make sure to put the side with the slides slightly higher than level. Then when my DW runs the slides out and they cantilever weight off of that side it is level. Trial and error has told me which line on the level to line the bubble up with.

For me it's slides in as instructed by dealer. A camping neighbor in a Montana Big Sky does it with slides out and gets an error message each time. I told him to try it with slides in and no more message.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
With a 4 or 6 point powered leveling system, you should be able to level with the slides in and then tweak it gently, if needed, with the slides extended. I can't say that since installing the Ground Control system that I've had to "relevel" after putting the slides out. With the front and rear jacks in place, there's no potential for the axle springs to flex further due to the cantilevered weight from the slides.

bdb2047

I level with slides in what I was told at dealer.That said the tech at dealer set level w/slides out.

truknutt

Committed Member
Slides in as this keeps the frame and main structure from "racking" during the leveling process. You won't notice a difference on a fairly level camp site but get a "kiddiewampus" site and those slides will bind.