Sling box

Miltp920

Anyone using Slingbox with any success? Last season we had direct TV satelite. The internet where we camp locally has not been that reliable. I am thinking we would need a reliable internet service in campground or we would be disappointed. we watch a lot of TV.

danemayer

Doesn't really matter whether the video comes from a Sling Box in your home, or HBO Go, or Netflix, or Hulu. They all rely on a good internet connection without bandwidth limits.

farside291

We have been using slingbox for years with moderate success. As Danemayer said, it all depends on campground WiFi speed and how many are using the WiFi. Early mornings and late evenings are when we have the most success. The main problem is people camping out on the WiFi even though not actively using it. Often we request the campground to reset the WiFi adapter which will force those actively using it to reconnect. Those who are not are removed. Often times connecting to the slingbox through the Web Player is more successful as compared using the desktop application, that I am not sure why, but it does work. Also, if you have unlimited data which reduces speed when you exceed your plan limits on your phone you can engage the phones Mobile Hot Spot. Even the limited speeds available after you exceed your data allocation is still many times faster than campground WiFi. Hope this helps.

DocFather

The problem isn't users with their laptops, tablets & cell phones registered for the campground wifi. They do not use any bandwidth if they are not using active links. The problem is Roku, sling boxes, those streaming video in a campground with "not-so-broad" bandwidth and sluggish download speeds. It is somewhat better if the campground ISP is a cable provider and not the phone company's dsl.

farside291

I agree, streaming video definitely takes up lots of bandwidth. I believe most campgrounds never intended their WiFi be used for streaming video, more for banking, email ect. Unfortunately its not going to be much longer before everything will require internet of some type just to function.

danemayer

I've been working with a group at Tiger Run Resort in Colorado to evaluate proposals to upgrade the internet service for all 376 sites. There are quite a few things that contribute to performance problems, and cost of an installation to support video streaming is astronomical.

caissiel

I just hate it when some try to stream. It only causes problems for the rest of the users.
Come on have respect for other campers. I like the systems that shuts me off if I download to much. I just restart and know I need to slow it down. We must share or everyone suffers.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When traveling, I prefer to use my Verizon MiFi rather than any free, public WiFi. But I also don't download videos.

Garypowell

I know this thread is going down the data usage path. But something else to consider is if your home internet provider will let the sling box work. When we had At&t it worked in the RV. When we moved the house to Bright house it would not work....and golly they could never figure out why....I think they simply blocked it.

Now back on AT&t I am going to try the sling box again.....just to help prove my theory. Since there are such good online other resources now.....we are currently using TiVO at home and on the next trip will try it in the RV.

The bottom line is data is data....so get your source for the easiest place. If you can make the Sling work....use it.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
Anyone using Slingbox with any success? Last season we had direct TV satelite. The internet where we camp locally has not been that reliable. I am thinking we would need a reliable internet service in campground or we would be disappointed. we watch a lot of TV.

My truck (Ram 3500) has the option to setup a hotspot through the truck. It is a 3G service that I believe is through sprint. It costs around $30 a month but you only pay for it when we need it so the months we are not traveling there is no cost. The nice thing is most the time (if we have a signal) we can use the internet even as we are driving down the road. I did install a Roku box on the RV and it seem to work fine in my driveway. In 12 days we will see how it works on the road.

jbeletti

...I did install a Roku box on the RV and it seem to work fine in my driveway. In 12 days we will see how it works on the road.

I installed a Roku 3 in the last coach and really like it. So much so, I brought it into the house and ordered another one for the RV.

I use it for music streaming and streaming Amaon prime video. I generally use it with my Verizon JetPack. I have a 40 GB of data plan.