Slow air loss on Firestone Air Bags

wingfoot

I just installed the above on my TV...I am experiencing an air loss and can't seem to find a leak. It's not a great deal of air, maybe 5# or so over 24 hours. Is this normal? What are you guys that have air bags experiencing? I've checked all fittings and can't see an obvious leak with soapy water solution. I have been testing them at 30# and in a couple of days they will loose about 5#.
Maybe normal.
BTW, I have the on-board filling option.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
When I first installed mine I had an air leak. I pulled all the hoses off and checked them. Only thing I found is that on one of my hoses I didn't have the end cut square. I squared it up an re-installed. No more air leak.
Check your end cuts.

Peace
Dave

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Larry, I am having the same problem.
On a previous TV I only lost about 5 lbs every month, or so ,which I believe is more typical.

Dave, I may end up doing what you suggested and take the fittings apart.
I have the same problem, only on one side.
I have soaped everything and haven't been able to locate it yet.
I just hit the onboard compressor every couple of days to blow it up, but I would like to find the problem. Trace

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
Are you losing 5 psi every day or is it possible you are looking at the bags cooling down overnight and the pressure dropping due to that?

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Duane, my situation doesn't seem to corolate with temperature change. I will lose about 5 lbs per day until it is all the way down.
With the compressor setup there is a lot of tubing with a bunch of fittings. I think maybe one of the fittings is leaking, but so far I can't find it.

Right now my back is a little weak, so extensive crawling around is not an option.

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
Check all the valve stems in the system, If you dont have the onboard comporessor, you have one or two valves to fill your bags. If you do have the compressor you have a valve stem where the compressor connects to the fill lines and also where the release button is to let the air out of the system.

wingfoot

Are you losing 5 psi every day or is it possible you are looking at the bags cooling down overnight and the pressure dropping due to that?

Duane, what you say could be possible but the area I'm in does not have a significant fluctuation in the ambient temperatures. And besides, I've been checking air pressure with the TV sitting in my driveway...no driving. And actually I'm only losing about 5# in two days.

Thanks to all for the responses

mnkamper

Founding MN Chapter Leader-retired
Knock on wood but no leaks here and thankfully I've dodged that one! I have the onboard compressor with a tank. I did have a leak in the auxiliary line that I ran to the rear of truck but it ended up being the inflation valve which replacing took car of.

donr827

I have had a very very slow in my air bags also. It takes around a month to loose 2 pounds. I just live with it.
Don

Pizzaguy

Do you have a check valve between the compressor and the supply line to the air bags? I had a leak in my bags for the first time in 4 years. Replaced the check valve and problem solved.

TeJay

I've installed three sets and never had a leak. One set had an on board compressor. Actually they all held air for months. Maybe I was just lucky. I used a tubing cutter to get a nice square cut and always put a little smear of Vaseline when connecting the hoses. The 4 bags on the MH held 60-80 lbs. of air.

TeJay