Small tear in awning

Rodbuster

I cleaned all my slide toppers and both awnings yesterday.
I noticed a small tear (about 1 inch long) at the very top of my main awning. This tear is at the very top, up along the RV wall, so it should be pretty easy to get to if I roll up the awning and leave it out about a foot to access the tear.
My common sense tells me to apply a piece of vinyl repair tape on both sides of the tear... BUT, I sure would not want the tear to get longer and end up replacing the awning...So, has anybody done such a repair?
If you have, how did you do it?
What repair product did you use?
Are the results lasting?

Thank you
Dick

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
There is a clear awning repair tape you can get at your nearest RV supply parts store. The tape is very sticky and will keep the awning from tearing more. We have used it several times with good success. Can't remember the brand name of it but just ask the parts person at the store and they can point you in the right direction.

MTPockets

I've used the clear awning repair tape and I've used Eternabond. The Eternabond is hands down much better.

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
So....has anyone actually applied the Gorilla clear tape (weather resistant) to their awning(s)?? Our toppers have small tears in some areas...was thinking that we would have to replace them all but if it works maybe they'll last a bit longer.
I have used the Gorilla clear tape (weather-resistant) for applying my Munzee stickers outside, it seems to hold up ok...but an awning really gets flapped a lot either retracted or extended...curious.

Monica