SOLVED! Gas ignition problem with Dometic fridge

skyguy

We started having problems when running the refrigerator on propane last spring/summer. We could shut off the fridge, turn it on, and it would work for ONE cycle - maybe. NO PROBLEMS with electrical. I finally dug in to the propane section, wondering if there wasn't someones nest in there somewhere. I didn't find any nesting evidence, but did find a large "wad" of carbon on the tip of the thermocouple. I was able to carefully break that off, cleaning back to just the thermocouple wire, and it has worked fine since! Not sure what caused this to get dirty, but will keep an eye on it from now on.

Here's some photos
gas-1.jpg
First, remove the outside plastic cover - the two black catches at the bottom of the cover need to be rotated horizontal in order to pry out the bottom edge. Next, using a Phillips screwdriver, remove the three screws and slide out the first cover.

gas-2.jpg
Next remove the single screw holding in the second cover, and remove the cover.

gas-3.jpg
Finally - check the area circled - that is the thermocouple - mine had quite a bit of carbon build-up.

Happy days... and cold beers!

Al Schlafli

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Carbon buildup is probably the result of soot from the burner. Might have been some bad propane, the flame was too lean. or maybe there was some critter crud on there that got smoked.