SOLVED: Lost power to bedroom

ericjaime

This weekend I lost power to all bedroom outlets in my BH2985RL. All I did was move sites on Sunday morning as all was well when I put slides in. 15 minuets later slides were out in new site and I was hooked up to shore power but I notice my alarm clock was not flashing in bedroom from loss of power during the move. Checked all outlets (TV, ones mounted in bed on both sides, shelf next to bed, and one by dresser) all dead. I checked to make sure breaker wasn't tripped and it wasn't. I did turn it off and back on just to make sure. I also checked the small automotive style fuses and they were good also. Does anyone have any idea what I could check next. All outlets thru the rest of the camper are working fine. The lights also work in the bedroom and the tv booster that is mounted in the bedroom appears to have power also as the little red light is on. Thanks Eric

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Lost power to bedroom

Hard to diagnose from here, but I have a couple of thoughts.
Are there any other outlet in the RV dead? Does your AC run? Is your converter charging? Do you have a multimeter?
There is a chance that since you moved sites, that the park pedestal is not providing 120 to both legs of the shore power.
If you have the multimeter you can check for 120 volt on each side of the 50 amp receptacle.
You might also reset the main breakers in your RV.
Are you using any type of electrical protective device? Such as an EMS? Surge Guard?

Peace
Dave

chaplady

Check your GFI outlets maybe in bathroom or kitchen. One might be tripped taking out other outlets wired in after it.

ericjaime

I did check the GFI's in both the bathroom and kitchen. They are both good and I have power in both areas, the only area I do not have power thru the whole camper is the 5 receptacles in the bedroom. I did not check to see if the AC is working but I can as soon as I get back to the campsite. I will also try moving my rv cord to the other power outlet in the park pedestal as it has 2 30amp breakers to choose from. Thanks, Eric

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Does your rig have a 50 amp cord? Are you reducing to a 30 amp?
The problem could be with the dog bone reducer. It is not unheard of. Had it happen to me.

Peace
Dave

ericjaime

I do have a 50 amp cord and am using a dog bone reducer to plug into the 30 amp service. I can also try to change that out as I have a spare reducer in the camper. Hopefully either the swapping reducers or just switching power outlets works. Thanks for the info. I will check both tonight when I get back out to our camper. Eric

happykraut

Since you only mentioned no power in the bedroom, I assume the rest of the coach is OK. If you lost one leg I would expect more dead outlets. Double check your GFI.

ericjaime

Tried everything and still no power to bedroom. I did switch power outlets on pole and used a different dog bone reducer and neither worked. I also did reset the GFI outlets even thou the outlets in the bathroom and kitchen already worked. I do have power throughout the whole camper except the bedroom. Even the AC, and electric fireplace works. I am now wondering when I put the slides in to move sites if a wire could have been cut, or if the breaker in the camper could have went bad to the bedroom. I am stumped!! Does anyone know if it is easy to switch out breakers in these campers as I have other 15 amp ones that currently aren't being used but are installed. Example for the Washer, Dryer, and Front AC. Thanks again Eric

happykraut

After you kill all power to your AC panel, pull the breaker box out so you can see the back of the breakers. Remove the wire/wires from the back of the bedroom breaker and move them to one of the empty breakers. Make sure it has the same or higher rating. Now power it up and see if the bedroom outlets work. If they do, then you know you have a bad breaker. Make sure power is off when you reinstall the panel.

danemayer

You might look under the bed/bed platform to see if there's a junction box. If you find it, examine inside with shore power disconnected in case it's hot.

wdk450

Troubleshooting this problem at the outlets and the breaker box is another use for the non-contact voltage tester you should have on hand to check for potential "hot skin" RV electrical shock before initially touching your rig after park electrical connection.
noncontact voltage tester.jpg

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

The first thing I would check would be the pedestal since everything worked on the other pedestal. Then next thing I would check would be the junction box under the bed to see if a wire has come loose.

Jim.Allison

Every time you see a wire nut you gotta tape it. If you're in your basement, have a roll of tape with you. Under the bed? have your tape with you. I don't care where you see one, tape it. LOL

The first thing I would check would be the pedestal since everything worked on the other pedestal. Then next thing I would check would be the junction box under the bed to see if a wire has come loose.

ericjaime

Back from a 9 night fall camping trip. Only had bedroom electricity for first 2 nights. Now that I am back home I plugged in and still have no power to bedroom. So I know it is a problem with my camper, not with the pole in the campground. I will start my search for the problem after work tomorrow. I will try to check the junction box under the bed to see if a wire has come loose first as I seem to have lost power after I moved sites and all I did was put the slides in and moved across the road.

Thanks,
Eric

MaryandSteve

Past Indiana Chapter Leader (Founding)

We had the same problem. Ours was under the bed. When the slide went out it pulled the wire nut off. There is a junction box under the bed with wires that run out of it. The bed frame slides over them. You will have to take the mattress off and undo the top wood on the bed frame. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ericjaime

IMG_0082.jpg IMG_0081.jpg
I tore the bed apart tonight and found a burned wire. I cannot believe a breaker would not have tripped in the camper. Hopefully I can figure out how to fix this and it solves the problem as I am no electrician and am only guessing this caused the outage. I was hoping for a wire nut to be off but it seems I may have to cut and splice the wires back together:mad:. Here is a pic of what I found. Sorry if the quality of the pic was poor.
Eric

danemayer

Eric,

The damaged wire has to be replaced. If the wire will reach the existing junction box, you can just take out the damaged wire. If it won't reach, I believe an additional splice must be enclosed in a junction box.

BUT you also need to find what caused the wire to overheat so it doesn't happen again. The circuit was probably drawing too many amps for a long time. I would also inspect the circuit breaker panel hot and neutral connections for loose or damaged wires.

If you're not confident working on 110V AC, you might need to get a licensed electrician involved to find root cause of the problem.

ericjaime

Thanks Dan for the quick reply. I don't know if the wire was burned from drawing too many amps for a long time as the most I have plugged in the bedroom is 1 alarm clock and my flat screen led tv. Other than that the only thing I plug in up there is my charger to charge my iPhone at night. Do you think this could have happened if it got pinched during the slide moving? The reason I ask is the other wire coming out of the box also has some rub marks on the outer casing that looks like something has been rubbing on it. I will more than likely either call an electrician to come and look at it or take it to my dealer to have it looked at. In the mean time I have the bedroom breaker shut off to make sure there isn't any power getting up there to short something out.

Thanks,
Eric

danemayer

I guess the theory behind a pinched wire would be that it caused a partial short, generating the heat. Perhaps not quite enough of a short to trip the breaker.

If the power flows out of the junction box toward the damaged area of the wire, then perhaps a partial short would have resulted in the wire damage pictured.