spring and trailair bracket failure on a 2008 Bighorn 3450

markandrenita

Yesterday we left Fulton Texas and I had checked the tires and underside and things looked ok. We stopped for the night in Del Rio and two of the springs had literally broken along with the bars that connect them to the trailairsuspension. Tire damage but they didn't go flat yet so we were lucky as the wife was driving.
Any suggestion as to upgrades to the system? Any other people have this problem. I do not recall hitting any bad bumps. When I weighed last fall the total weight was 12000 pounds, at but not over rated maximum weight.

GOTTOYS

If it was mine, I would get it patched up and head to MorRyde and have a new MorRyde IS suspension installed. This will eliminate all the spring hangers, springs, shackles and related hardware. You will get all new torsion axles set at the correct ride height, aligned and with a five year warranty. I was quoted about $2500 using my existing brakes. It's on my list of things to do this Summer...Don

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I would get all 4 new springs and wet bolts. Upgrade the springs to #7000 lbs capacity per pair. The wet bolts prevent shackle and bolt failure and actually help the springs effectiveness.

57chevyconvt

More than likely you are still in Del Rio, therefore I agree with Ray, buy four new 5 leaf springs from Southwest Wheel, either San Antonio or Dallas locations at the cost of $32.95 each plus shipping. Just ordered a set yesterday from SW Wheel in Dallas. The wet bolt kit can be purchased from Lippert Components or Tweety's RV Supply (located on I-10 N of San Antonio). Southwest Wheel doesn't supply the wet bolt kit. The wet bolt kit for your application will be ~$85.00 plus shipping. Good Luck in your spring repairs.

lwmcguir

If you are towing over a couple thousand miles per year, wet bolt kits will save the shackle wear and minimize spring breakage. I like Torsion axles a lot better than Mor Ryde but nothing wrong with it. Bottom line folks are right on with heavier springs and wet bolts for now. Are your equalizers shot as well? Most likely they are.

markandrenita

Thanks for all the responses. Everything was shot. We were lucky again and only 6 blocks from a welding shop. Arcrite. They odered and rebuilt our suspension system and we were only down for three days, we waited two for parts. Put in a five leaf spring system and raised the fifth wheel 1.5 inches. Getting ready to trek to Alaska this summer so it all works out for the best.
Main reason I posted was to suggest people check thier suspensions and wondered if others had the same problem. This is our fifth year of fulltiming in our Bighorn.

Clear skies,

Mark and Renita