Stop the icky mystery liquid!

wyleyrabbit

Hey everyone,

I'm sure many others have likely already done this "mod" but I thought I'd post it here to give others the needed push to get it done too.

Since we've had our Bighorn, every time I've needed to hook up a sewer hose, there has always been some "icky" mystery liquid come out when removing the cap from the main sewer connection. "ICK" indeed! I have always connected the sewer hose up to the campground drain first, then while wearing blue nitrite gloves, attempted to catch the icky mystery liquid in the hose as best I could. Yuck!

Easy solution, and probably the easiest mod I've ever done. Buy one of these http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/twist-on-valve/27868 (Camping World part#27868) for about $22, and likely available at most RV stores. Put it on, and leave it on your trailer. Leave it closed while travelling. Hook up sewer hose easily without any icky mystery liquid coming out. Once the hose is hooked up completely, then open the Twist-on Valve before pulling any handles in the UDC. Obviously, close this valve before travelling again.

Once you're satisfied with the operation of this, might want to use some sort of glue so it doesn't come off during travelling.

I wish that I had known of this before. Hope this helps someone.

Chris

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We've used a blade valve for years...one other thing it's great for. When you have no sewer connection, you can close the blade valve and open both grey tanks...this equalizes them between the kitchen and bath, effectively giving a straight 90 gallon capacity, as one usually fills faster than the other. Just be sure you have your hose connected at the dump station before opening the blade valve...

traveler44

Hi. Ken! Do you get some pretty good pressure when you open the end valve with 90 gallons behind it?? I guess I'll find out cause I ordered a T58 twist on waste valve about an hour ago. Tom M.

Duramax1

We've used a blade valve for years...one other thing it's great for. When you have no sewer connection, you can close the blade valve and open both grey tanks...this equalizes them between the kitchen and bath, effectively giving a straight 90 gallon capacity, as one usually fills faster than the other. Just be sure you have your hose connected at the dump station before opening the blade valve...

And if you can convince your better half to wash the dishes in a plastic tub which will fit in the sink, then you can empty the plastic tub after doing the dishes in the firepit and conserve the extra 45 gallons for having showers each morning.

gpshemi

Been doing this for years as well. It also prevents a nasty surprise if some goofball decides to pull the handles at night without you knowing.

Word to the wise though, run a short self tapper in it once you have it in place. They've been known to vibrate off.