Suspension maintenance

brianlajoie

I just got my bearings repacked and brakes checked. Does anyone do anything for for the suspension other than check the torque on all the bolts? The suspension is a little cranky when we pull the trailer out of storage. I was wondering if anyone uses any spray silicone on the moving metal parts.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Look at the shackles and the bolts holding them. Does the bolt look centered? Can you see any part of the hole at all around the edge of the bolt? The shackles can take a beating over time and stretch.

f1a04902c0f5d7b68d4a95d2ea39c1ef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lou_and_Bette

I just installed the Never Fail bushings to my suspension and old shackles showed some wear. I do have a question about bolt torque. My rig has Correct Track on it and I'm not sure how much to tighten those hanger bolts. I torqued the shackles to 50 f/p but wasn't sure if this was correct for the bolts on the CT hangers. Anybody have a clue?

danemayer

I just installed the Never Fail bushings to my suspension and old shackles showed some wear. I do have a question about bolt torque. My rig has Correct Track on it and I'm not sure how much to tighten those hanger bolts. I torqued the shackles to 50 f/p but wasn't sure if this was correct for the bolts on the CT hangers. Anybody have a clue?

Hi Lou,

Here's a link to the Correct Track installation document. Only mention is 30-50 f/p.

Lou_and_Bette

Thanks Dan, just what I needed. Originally thought it would be the same as shackles but wasn't secure with "probably."

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our Prowler was born (date of manufacture) less than one year ago and I'm wondering if I should have the wheel bearings checked before we leave for the AZ Rally in February.

I'm leaning towards 'yes'!

After our experience last year in AZ (wheel bearing burnout) on our previous Heartland TT . . . I'm very skeptical about the factory grease job!

danemayer

I'm very skeptical about the factory grease job!
John,

The grease is done by the axle manufacturer: Lippert or Dexter.

On the one hand, many thousands of trailers have no early life grease problems.

On the other hand, Dexter and Lippert both say that bearings should be repacked every year or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Flip a coin?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The maintenance we have done is change out the original to get the Mor-Ryde IS. Simple and easy (but not cheap). :)

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Our Prowler was born (date of manufacture) less than one year ago and I'm wondering if I should have the wheel bearings checked before we leave for the AZ Rally in February.

I'm leaning towards 'yes'!

After our experience last year in AZ (wheel bearing burnout) on our previous Heartland TT . . . I'm very skeptical about the factory grease job!

I've repacked mine twice since taking ownership in July 2013, manufactured April 2013. The first time was in March 2014 after several trips in 2013 but just prior to our first extended road trip. Good I did as one seal was just starting to weep a bit of grease. We probably put 12K miles on the rig. Did then again this past spring, another road trip planned. Will do them again this spring since I figure there is another 17-18K miles (Alaska, up and back plus other shorter trips) since last job.
In other words it wouldn't hurt "to inspect with you expect".

Whleech

I've repacked mine twice since taking ownership in July 2013, manufactured April 2013. The first time was in March 2014 after several trips in 2013 but just prior to our first extended road trip. Good I did as one seal was just starting to weep a bit of grease. We probably put 12K miles on the rig. Did then again this past spring, another road trip planned. Will do them again this spring since I figure there is another 17-18K miles (Alaska, up and back plus other shorter trips) since last job.
In other words it wouldn't hurt "to inspect with you expect".

Here's a good dry lubricant for all those metal to metal parts that don't have grease fittings. About $10 or $12 for an aerosol can.
https://www.slipplate.com/product/slip-plate-aerosol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Whleech

I only use silicone spray on rubber bushings and such. This graphite is more durable and doesn't attract dust and dirt. The can has a shaker ball in it like spray paint. Once you spray it on a surface the liquid evaporates and it leaves a very slick coating that is very weather resistant. I love the stuff....nasty though if you get it on you. :)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

dave10a

If you have the easy-lube axle with standard Dexter spring clips, replace the spring clips with tang type washers. Also forget the easy lube crap and pack the bearings the ol' fashion way. The Spring clips slip on the nut and allow the nut to back off creating play on the wheel. That play will destroy the bearings prematurely. Who ever come up with the spring clips and easy lube bearings should be banned in disgrace ;_0. Also replace the plastic Dexter supplied bushing and shackles with brass lube type and heavy duty shackles as a minimum. Seems like these areas of the suspension were spec'ed at minimum by Heartland. Dexter does offer more robust solutions, but many manufacturers take the cheep way out. Just saying.

brianlajoie

I bought some anti-seize to use during my bearing repack and brake inspection. After watching the repack, I now have anti-seize that won't be used by me. :) Has anyone used this or know if this would be advisable?

jayc

Legendary Member
We finished up the install yesterday including new shocks.

Attachments

• DSCF8148.jpg
    DSCF8148.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 128

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Nice. Was this the first time you have done this Jay? I ask as I am starting to plan on doing this soon as a preventive maintenance.