Tell Tale Sign re: Brakes

GOTTOYS

Just finished replacing all the brakes on my BC3250. 3 out of 4 were covered with grease the 4th one was partially covered. This is the first time I ever pulled the hubs since I bought it new two years ago. I have never greased the hubs ever. Something I noticed that should make it easy to identify if yours has the same problem..All 3 of the backsides of the wheels that were the worst were black with dirt and grease. The 4th one had dirt and grease as well but not as much. It should be easy to spot if you look in between the spokes on your wheels or crawl under and look at them from the backside. I replaced all four brakes with new loaded complete backing plates, cleaned and repacked the bearings, replaced the seals and tossed the old junk. I would suggest looking at yours and if they're real dirty/greasy, pull one off and see what you have. My brakes have never worked very well since new..Now I know why..Don

caissiel

Mine had the same grease problem, but only on the magnets and not the lining. Had to do a cleanup job on the first long trip to Florida. Was improperly greased either at the dealer or the factory

Last edited:

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I replaced all four brakes with new loaded complete backing plates, cleaned and repacked the bearings, replaced the seals and tossed the old junk..Don

Hey Don! If you don't mind me asking, how much did all the parts cost? Might be looking at a similar job!

Many Thanks!

GOTTOYS

Hey Don! If you don't mind me asking, how much did all the parts cost? Might be looking at a similar job!

Many Thanks!
I bought the parts locally from a Dexter parts supplier. I got the 7,000# brakes complete. They have larger magnets and are identified by the 2 black wires coming out the back. Also got 4 double lip (generic) seals. Came to right around $375.00 with tax and all. I never even thought to ask for the self-adjusting versions. Oh well...Looking online I could have saved maybe $100.00 or so. I haven't tried them yet. According to Dexter it's really important to burnish them in by making 30-40 stops from around 40mph down to 10mph. That's tomorrows' project.

RCF

According to Dexter it's really important to burnish them in by making 30-40 stops from around 40mph down to 10mph. That's tomorrows' project.

Wow! Don't know where I'd be able to do that anywhere near me . . .