Test drove 2010 Ram 3500 Dually

Ricoh

Past Ontario Chapter Leader
I went for a test drive in the new 3500 super duty Ram dually on the weekend. This truck was a Supercab ( Large 4 door) short box (6 1/2 "). It was the top of the line truck with every option you can get ( $74,000.00 canadian). Truck runs very well, trans shifts hard but crisp, motor is louder than I would have thought but still ok. Lots of power but definitely not a quick truck. Turning radius was what you would expect, ride was stiff on the bumps but very nice on smoother roads. Seats were very comfortable ( not like the old Ram) Interior of this model was very, very nice ( it would want to be) All in all I was very impressed with this truck. I liked the handling, comfort, looks. Did I think that it was $45,000 better than my 05 Silverado 2500 HD with 30,000 miles on it. Not a chance. I still like my DMAX and my Allison. Next the new Chev and the new Ford if I can find one up here.

Rick

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
The main concern of the Dodge is the rustout that it is so famous for. Frame is a bit weak also. Great engine though...........one of the best!

mgdg

I`ve owned a few Dodge Rams and never had a problem with rustout. I think you are thinking of the Dodges of the 70`s when they got the bad metal from Japan. It would rust before your eyes, I had a 78 Plymouth Volare` that lasted six months the front fenders and rear quarters were gone. They replaced them and a new paint job and had no problems till I got rid of it in `82 Ricoh you`ll love the Cummins and the truck ain`t that bad either!!

bhoth

I also drove the 2010 Dodge dually Laramie Megacab. I do love the new interior. It looks much less plastic-ey (if that is even a word) than my 07 Dodge Laramie quad-cab 5.9L. I loved the new NAV system, built in rear backup camera, built in brake controller. But I felt like the power was rather boring.

I do have a few mods to my truck for towing that might make me a little biased to my truck though. Mods include twin turbos, Edge Juice w/attitude stacked with Smarty, MBRP 4" exhaust, Pacbrake exhaust brake, and a few other goodies!

I have the 2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Big Horn edition w/ cummins 6.7 diesel. Now has ~6000 miles on it. I just pulled my 2009 Sundance 3300SK from East Tenn to Springfield Missouri and was well satisfied with the power, especially across Monte Eagle Mountain. I typically drove around 65 mph and averaged ~12mpg on the trip out and ~13mpg on the way home (mpg measured by hand). Not towing I can average between 18mpg and 19mpg out on the road and about 14.5mpg around town. That is normal driving and not having a heavy foot. As for the noise of the engine. Mine always seems a bit loud until it warms up good, but driving down the interstate the engine noise is not that noticable. IMHO, I'd say it is somewhat quieter than older models. Loved using the Stock Exhaust Brake. I didnt feel like the Stock Fifth Wheel Brake Controller did that well though. Going to have dealer make sure it is operating correctly. Seemed like at times it didnt apply as much pressure to the trailer brakes as I thought it should.

gpshemi

I also drove the 2010 Dodge dually Laramie Megacab. I do love the new interior. It looks much less plastic-ey (if that is even a word) than my 07 Dodge Laramie quad-cab 5.9L. I loved the new NAV system, built in rear backup camera, built in brake controller. But I felt like the power was rather boring.

I do have a few mods to my truck for towing that might make me a little biased to my truck though. Mods include twin turbos, Edge Juice w/attitude stacked with Smarty, MBRP 4" exhaust, Pacbrake exhaust brake, and a few other goodies!

REALLY? You're going to compare a stock new truck to yours with Twins? Come on...LOL.

PUG

Pug
I had an 02 Duramax juiced up by +75 but it wouldn't compare to my new 09 Ram 1 ton dually. The Ram rides just about as good, turns a little tighter, and with the mega cab is sooo nice. I am an ex truck driver and the new Ram setup is great. I love it. I had an old old Dodge and it was a piece of crap but after talking to so many of you on our travels I thought I would try one. Chevy only offered in a long box (which wouldn't fit in the garage) and they wouldn't deal at all and haven't changed ove the years much. Ford was changing to a totally new engine (1st year tryout) and was more costly. The Ram was an 09 but new and bought at the end of the season which saved about $13K. Cummins was always my favorate engine and this one just idles down the road like a big dog.

Seattle

Hello all, Newbe here, I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2011, Cyclone or Road Warrior 42 + footers. I have a 6.7ltr, 09 Dodge crew cab, long bed, 4WD, Six speed automatic, single rear wheels, firestone air bags. I'm running 35x12.50 BF Goodrich AT's rated at 3195 lbs each. Got the Jake Brake. Also looking the Airsafe hitch, I'm thinking I'm good to go as long as I run the trailer as light as possible. Yes, I know the dually will be better but I have don't have it. Can I really pull this trailer? This truck puts out 650 ft. lbs of torque and 350 HP, rated to pull 17,500 lbs. Would appreciate any input, Thanks for your time.

PUG

Pug
I pulled my 09 3950 (42') for two years with a 3/4 ton chev duramax SRT and it pulled it fine. I did put oversize tires on it that increased the weight carrying but was still actually over on each tire by about 300#. I had added Firestone air bags that are very nice. I was worried about blowing a tire on the rear of the truck knowing that would be one **** of a ride. With the tire worry and knowing that 02 Dura's will eventually need injectors replaced (out of warranty) I decided to go with the 1 ton Ram Dually Megacab Laramie. The towing platform is very stable and the worries are gone. I absolutely think this is the nicest truck I have everyowned. I wonder if there is a kit to add duallies and mayb an extra leaf spring to yours? I'll be you could find a fender kit also or maybe some at a wrecking yard?? If you shopped around I bet this would end up your cheapest route?????? You already have the right truck just make it safer with the duallies....

DW_Gray

Hello all, Newbe here, I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2011, Cyclone or Road Warrior 42 + footers. I have a 6.7ltr, 09 Dodge crew cab, long bed, 4WD, Six speed automatic, single rear wheels, firestone air bags. I'm running 35x12.50 BF Goodrich AT's rated at 3195 lbs each. Got the Jake Brake. Also looking the Airsafe hitch, I'm thinking I'm good to go as long as I run the trailer as light as possible. Yes, I know the dually will be better but I have don't have it. Can I really pull this trailer? This truck puts out 650 ft. lbs of torque and 350 HP, rated to pull 17,500 lbs. Would appreciate any input, Thanks for your time.

Do you have the 2500 or 3500? If it's the 2500 then it will be too light for the big toy haulers.

Last edited:

gpshemi

my 06 is being dealt with by the dealer for the bedsides rusting out. Body shop tells me they were foaming the fenders for a bit and that he's repaired a bunch of them. The foam is always wet. He said they've stopped doing that now, but it's not just limited to a 70's thing for sure.

I'll add, the shop says the big three were all doing the foam thing for a while. So it's not just Dodge.

BruteForce

This question has been asked quite a bit. While your truck can pull it, I don't know how safe it would be. I'd recommend a smaller trailer. I had the same dilemma, so sold off my SRW Ram 2500 and picked up my current Dually. Same motor, just more pin weight capacity in the rear due to the extra set of wheels distributing the load.

gpshemi

I wonder if there is a kit to add duallies and mayb an extra leaf spring to yours? I'll be you could find a fender kit also or maybe some at a wrecking yard?? If you shopped around I bet this would end up your cheapest route?????? You already have the right truck just make it safer with the duallies....

Yup. $2700 and it's yours.
http://www.duallyfendersusa.com/

Do you have the 2500 or 3500? If it's the 2500 then it will be too light for the big toy haulers.

Not true. The 2500 and 3500 are the same truck basically. The 3500 just has overloads and spring contacts. Otherwise they are the exact same truck.

DW_Gray

Not true. The 2500 and 3500 are the same truck basically. The 3500 just has overloads and spring contacts. Otherwise they are the exact same truck.

Well you're right and wrong. True, the only physical difference between the 2500 and the 3500 is the springs. But what won't change, no matter what modifications you do to the truck, is the official certification label on it. If LE has reasons to stop you and verifies that the truck is towing more than the certification allowance, you'll get ticket and won't be able to tow your RV with it. (Per California Highway Patrol.)

FYI: Any truck maintenance company specializing in springs can easily modify your truck.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
We just ordered a 2011 Dodge Laramie 4X4 with 410 rear end. I've been towing with a 2 wheel drive and I'm wondering if I have to adjust the hitch height and possible do something with the trailer springs to raise the traler. Any ideas. It appears the truck box is approx. 4 or 5 inches higher../Doug

DW_Gray

We just ordered a 2011 Dodge Laramie 4X4 with 410 rear end. I've been towing with a 2 wheel drive and I'm wondering if I have to adjust the hitch height and possible do something with the trailer springs to raise the traler. Any ideas. It appears the truck box is approx. 4 or 5 inches higher../Doug

Congratulations on the purchase of your new Ram. You're correct that the side rails on the new truck are much higher. It is very likely you will have to have the hitch raised to its highest setting. Doing so will most likely cause the BH to tow nose high. I suppose you could change the spring adjustment on the BH to compensate for that, but you may want to get expert advise on that. I'm considering doing the same with my Cyclone. It's so big and heavy, I don't want it to be too top heavy and risk rolling over.

Next time I buy another truck, I'll get it without the standard bed and install a RV conversion bed.

hoefler

It will be considerably higher than your 04 2wd. For my 08, I raised my trailer by relocating the springs 2" lower in the hangers. The holes were already there from the factory. I sit with in an inch of being level when attached to the 2010.