Testing plumbing on a new rig

sjandbj

My wife and I just picked up our new 2015 3150BC, what a beautiful rig and I have been going through and testing everything. I have found that the drains in both the kitchen and bathroom sinks leak along with the toilet plumbing. The question I have is am I testing it correctly?
I filled all the holding tanks until the water was standing in the sinks and toilet. I could then see the water leak don the outside of the pipes. I would assume that there should be no leaking water. I ask because the dealer said this is not a proper test and the systems could and would leak if tested this way. Any insights would be helpful.

Regards,
Steve

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If it's leaking from the connection to the sink bowls, try hand tightening them. Possible, too, that the gasket is missing or not seated properly under the drain fitting in the sink bowl. Easier to check and fix it yourself than taking it back to the dealer.

danemayer

Steve,

If you have the gate valves closed, it's not all that unusual to inadvertently overfill the gray #1 tank. We can do it with 2 days of showers and one or two loads of laundry. So your test isn't unreasonable. It's harder to do with the toilet, but if you ever get distracted while using the black tank flush with gate valve closed, you'll be testing the integrity of the black tank and toilet pipes (btw, you really want to avoid this scenario).

You might call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Perhaps they can call the dealer and help get their cooperation.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Steve,

If you have the gate valves closed, it's not all that unusual to inadvertently overfill the gray #1 tank. We can do it with 2 days of showers and one or two loads of laundry. So your test isn't unreasonable. It's harder to do with the toilet, but if you ever get distracted while using the black tank flush with gate valve closed, you'll be testing the integrity of the black tank and toilet pipes (btw, you really want to avoid this scenario).

You might call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Perhaps they can call the dealer and help get their cooperation.

Wow. You fill GT #1 in a couple of days? Granted we don't have a clothes washer on board but the two of us can go 6-7 days of showers and such (if we're set up in one spot for several weeks) before the DW says the vanity sink is not draining. I typically leave the tank valve closed and drain accordingly so I have lots of water to flush the stinky slinky after dumping the black.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Wow. You fill GT #1 in a couple of days? Granted we don't have a clothes washer on board but the two of us can go 6-7 days of showers and such (if we're set up in one spot for several weeks) before the DW says the vanity sink is not draining. I typically leave the tank valve closed and drain accordingly so I have lots of water to flush the stinky slinky after dumping the black.

Same as Dan. When DW uses the washer, I have to drain every couple of days.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Didn't realize the RV washer units used that much H2O. We have the big front loader at home that probably doesn't use much more......

JohnDar

When running the washer, I open Gray #1, just so it doesn't get overfilled. According to the manual, it can use as much as 11 gallons for a wash cycle, depending on the settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subdrv

Steve

The way you described your test is exactly how my dealer did it and found a leaking joint which he fixed prior to my PDI.

Robbie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chiefneon

Howdy!

I would suggest checking every fitting in your RV fresh water, gray water black water etc... I first found loose water fittings on our hot water tank that leaked. Then the fittings under the kitchen sink leaked. What I have found throughout our unit is that almost all the fittings were only started and not even hand tite. The other problem I am now having is the kitchen sink which is mounted under the counter top will not hold caulking and leaks because when water is added to the sink it pulls the caulking loose and water leaks under the sink and cabinet.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

JohnDar

Howdy!

I would suggest checking every fitting in your RV fresh water, gray water black water etc... I first found loose water fittings on our hot water tank that leaked. Then the fittings under the kitchen sink leaked. What I have found throughout our unit is that almost all the fittings were only started and not even hand tite. The other problem I am now having is the kitchen sink which is mounted under the counter top will not hold caulking and leaks because when water is added to the sink it pulls the caulking loose and water leaks under the sink and cabinet.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

Make sure all of the needed clips were installed to hold the sink under the counter. This was addressed in a recent thread, but if you need more info, just ask.

OEFVET

For those of you with washers, can you advise how much water is used for one full wash cycle?

JohnDar

For those of you with washers, can you advise how much water is used for one full wash cycle?

According to the manual, the Splendide 2100XC uses between 7 to 18 gallons depending on which cycle you select. I misspoke on a different thread that it used 11 gallons. That's the maximum load weight (cottons) in pounds that it can handle.

If you're hooked to city water and sewer, no problem. Just open the Gray #1 tank valve to drain while running the machine. If you're boondocking, bring extra clothes or find a Laundromat.

caissiel

I have not found a kitchen sink drain kit that can be installed properly without leaking, My house has 40 year old sink drains that I installed 40 years ago and seal properly.
Good luck with your test. You are doing that properly and I am not surprised that it leaking,
I have concluded that I do not want to be a plumber in today's market.

Wharton

Wor, they are pricey. We just use the basic water alarm that is third of the price, deep in near the water pump.