Texas Landmark Dealers

Chippendale

Was surfing around and decided to check my local Austin Landmark dealer, Explore USA, and see what Landmarks they currently have in stock. Discovered they have none, and so I looked state wide, they have about 9 locations in Texas, and they have no new Landmarks in inventory any where, strange. So then I looked at 5th wheels total and found that they only have 64 Heartland 5th wheels (didn't check pull trailers) in inventory statewide. Their statewide inventory consists of 4 Big Countrys, 13 Big Horns, 11 Big Horn Travelers, 26 Gateways and 10 Prowlers. Strange, when you average it out, each location only has an average of 7 5th wheels all models, they have been a major Heartland dealer in Texas. Any one know what happened. I have my idea, but it is just my opinion after purchasing two units from them.

Oregon_Camper

Re: No Landmarks ????

My guess is we are going into Winter and they want to keep costs down during the slow time of the year.

Chippendale

My guess is we are going into Winter and they want to keep costs down during the slow time of the year.

Yes, but this is Texas where the Snow Birds come to roost every winter. We don't have much of a "slow RVing" season down here. I have approx 9 or 10 trips planned between now and the middle of April. They have always had more Heartland 5th wheels, I am wondering if they dropped Heartland (that is what they would say if asked) or maybe Heartland is dropping them. I guess I could find out if I went in and asked them to special order a Landmark for me.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
No Landmarks ????

Was surfing around and decided to check my local Austin Landmark dealer, Explore USA, and see what Landmarks they currently have in stock. Discovered they have none, and so I looked state wide, they have about 9 locations in Texas, and they have no new Landmarks in inventory any where, strange. So then I looked at 5th wheels total and found that they only have 64 Heartland 5th wheels (didn't check pull trailers) in inventory statewide. Their statewide inventory consists of 4 Big Countrys, 13 Big Horns, 11 Big Horn Travelers, 26 Gateways and 10 Prowlers. Strange, when you average it out, each location only has an average of 7 5th wheels all models, they have been a major Heartland dealer in Texas. Any one know what happened. I have my idea, but it is just my opinion after purchasing two units from them.

George, ExploreUSA is no longer carrying Landmark, Big Country or Cyclone. I am not sure about the other brands.

I hear there is a new dealer in Navasota that is carrying Heartlands and has already sold some Landmarks to our members, including Jay & Stella.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrgrs50s

George, ExploreUSA is no longer carrying Landmark, Big Country or Cyclone. I am not sure about the other brands.

I hear there is a new dealer in Navasota that is carrying Heartlands and has already sold some Landmarks to our members, including Jay & Stella.

We just visited Explorer USA near Canton, Tx and the salesman there said they will no longer carry any Heartland products in the future. They still had a few Prowlers and a Big Horn on the lot.

His take was that Heartland has become difficult to deal with and would not negotiate suitable terms for Explorer to continue their product. He also indicated that their product was not up to par like it used to be and they had difficulty settling warranty issues.

TravelTiger

We just visited Explorer USA near Canton, Tx and the salesman there said they will no longer carry any Heartland products in the future. They still had a few Prowlers and a Big Horn on the lot.

His take was that Heartland has become difficult to deal with and would not negotiate suitable terms for Explorer to continue their product. He also indicated that their product was not up to par like it used to be and they had difficulty settling warranty issues.

I heard a different story from an ExploreUSA Sales Manager at the RV show.

I'm sure ExploreUSA will choose to spin it in their favor when folks ask where the Heartlands are.

Rottiesmom

New York Chapter Leader - retired

I know here on the entire eastern coast we have heard only one or two dealerships will be carrying Landmarks which makes it a tough decision when its time to upgrade if you are not near one of the locations. I know our old dealership in southern New Jersey is no longer carrying any heartland products as of this year. Not sure what the reasoning is but I know when we use to have warranty work done the girls in the office use to complain about heartland approving the work in a timely fashion. I think it something they need to take seriously and look into they weren't the only dealership I heard that from

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

General RV, where we bought our BH, quit selling Heartland a few years ago. And General RV is no small operation.

meagle

I've been told by several dealers now that they find Heartland difficult to work with and have stopped carrying their products. In fact I was told by an attendee at the Jackson Racheria RV rally for Heartland owners that the Happy Daze RV dealership brought a DRV as a display model instead of a Landmark and that they were no longer going to carry Landmarks due to many problems with the RV's and issues when dealing with Heartland. I hope that Heartland is listening to its customers and dealers.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh

I've been told by several dealers now that they find Heartland difficult to work with and have stopped carrying their products. In fact I was told by an attendee at the Jackson Racheria RV rally for Heartland owners that the Happy Daze RV dealership brought a DRV as a display model instead of a Landmark and that they were no longer going to carry Landmarks due to many problems with the RV's and issues when dealing with Heartland. I hope that Heartland is listening to its customers and dealers.

I am betting the factory/management is not listening. I am good friends with a Heartland dealers maintenance supervisor in CO. She has told me everything that has been mentioned previously on this thread. Also the dealer is moving away from Heartland and stocking up and selling Grand Design. IMO when you get so big you forget where you came from, you are doing it wrong. I am not on the forum every day but, the only time I have read where the factory was asking for owners advice was on the front cap decals for the new model year Bighorn. What does that tell ya...

danemayer

You have to wonder what it means when dealers tell you Heartland is difficult to work with. Does it mean that Heartland has changed for the worse? Or does it mean that other companies have set the bar higher but Heartland won't step up their game? Or does it mean that Heartland is asking more of the dealer, and expecting more? Or does it mean that there are some new companies trying to buy market share with monetary incentives that Heartland won't match? Or does it mean that dealers will always cast themselves as in the right when a relationship breaks down? Maybe something else?

We've had numerous discussions here over the years where people have insisted that if Heartland wanted to, they could force dealers to do a better job or be more accountable to owners. Is it possible Heartland has been listening and is trying to do just that, but dealers are balking.

If collectively we can name 5 or 10 large dealers who have moved from Heartland to another brand, does that mean that Heartland is losing market share or selling fewer units? Or is it possible that sales are going through other dealers, perhaps not as close to you.

Some people report their dealers are saying Heartland is difficult to work with on Warranty. If that's true, and the problem is with Heartland, wouldn't we be seeing a big increase of complaints from owners who are having warranty claims denied? Yet we're not.

Maybe all of this is just normal ebb and flow in the relationship between manufacturers and sales outlets.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired

Morris,

I would like to address this rumor and put some clarification to it. I spoke with TJ directly from Happy Daze and the reason that they are no longer carrying Heartland Landmarks has NOTHING to do with what you mentioned. They still carry numerous Heartland products, such as Bighorns and Bighorn Travelers. The reason that Happy Daze is not carrying Landmarks is simply that they are unable to compete with a local dealership that has come into the area and begun selling Landmarks as well. They are a multi state dealership and they purchase Landmarks in large quantities that allow them better purchasing power. Because of the quantities that this other dealership purchases from Heartland, they are able to sell the Landmarks cheaper than Happy Daze can purchase them. It was purely a business decision to not sell Landmarks any longer, not because they are having problems in dealing with Heartland. If that were the case, they would not be selling Bighorns and other Heartland products.

Rod

TravelTiger

Morris,

I would like to address this rumor and put some clarification to it. I spoke with TJ directly from Happy Daze and the reason that they are no longer carrying Heartland Landmarks has NOTHING to do with what you mentioned. They still carry numerous Heartland products, such as Bighorns and Bighorn Travelers. The reason that Happy Daze is not carrying Landmarks is simply that they are unable to compete with a local dealership that has come into the area and begun selling Landmarks as well. They are a multi state dealership and they purchase Landmarks in large quantities that allow them better purchasing power. Because of the quantities that this other dealership purchases from Heartland, they are able to sell the Landmarks cheaper than Happy Daze can purchase them. It was purely a business decision to not sell Landmarks any longer, not because they are having problems in dealing with Heartland. If that were the case, they would not be selling Bighorns and other Heartland products.

Rod

Rod, this was similarly the response I heard from the ExploreUSA manager I talked to. Heartland had made a deal (with a competing product, not the same product) with another dealership that was costing Explore sales, and they decided it was not in their best interest to try to compete. I have no doubt that other factors play a part in the decision, but this is what started the downward spiral of the relationship at Explore.

Another thought, if dealers are experiencing Heartland parts deliveries that are slow, or wrong parts sent, or broken upon delivery, and cause delays -- that may be cause for the statement "Heartland is difficult to work with." I personally have experienced this in getting parts for warranty work, directly from Heartland, but it was not an inconvenience since my coach was not unusable while I waited.

meagle

Hi Rod,

Thank you for clarifying why Happy Daze decided to stop selling Landmarks in the Sacramento area. I imagine that in the RV industry there are many reasons why a dealership will stop selling one brand and move on to another.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired

Hi Rod,

Thank you for clarifying why Happy Daze decided to stop selling Landmarks in the Sacramento area. I imagine that in the RV industry there are many reasons why a dealership will stop selling one brand and move on to another.

I’m sure! I just wanted to make sure that this one got clarified since I knew the answer.

Rod

jlsr

I got an email from our local dealer here in Texas stating they are in the process of getting Landmarks and will let us know when they get one in. I was quite surprised to hear this as they are a big forest river dealer. They normally have very good pricing, however we have been very unhappy with their service.

TravelTiger

I got an email from our local dealer here in Texas stating they are in the process of getting Landmarks and will let us know when they get one in. I was quite surprised to hear this as they are a big forest river dealer. They normally have very good pricing, however we have been very unhappy with their service.

Who is it?

jlsr

Ah! Yes, I have heard that thy are also selling Big Country now.
That's right ! I remember seeing a Big Country when we dropped our 'sob' camper off for service a couple months ago; thinking then it was odd to see a Big Country in their showroom.

We have heard good things about T & S Enterprises and plan to meet with them when we get ready to buy. We have not been able to advertise our 'sob' 5er since its been at the dealer awaiting some minor warranty work.