The fridge-fix

Kandy

Has anyone bought and installed "The Fridge-Fix"? We have a DM1350 and in the hotter months at the beginning of the day the temp shows low 30's and as the day progresses the temp rises well into toe 40's.
If any one has any reports good or bad I would appreciate them.
Thanks

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have the RM1350 and I did a few mods to help with the cooling.
I changed the 3.5" computer fans on the backside of the refrigerator to 5" size and added one more. The fans can be purchased on ebay or at a computer store for under $10 each.
Since the refrigerator is in the slide it does not get the chimney effect to evacuate the heat like a non slide unit that will vent out the roof rather than the side of the slide. With that situation the air does not flow across the top fins. Here is where I added a baffle to direct the air across the top fins.
I have attached some pics that may help you understand what I did.
One more thing, while you are back there and before installing a baffle I suggest that you change out the white drain hose.

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• baffle 2.jpg
    baffle 2.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 118
  • baffle.jpg
    baffle.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 108

SilverRhino

I have the RM1350 and I did a few mods to help with the cooling.
I changed the 3.5" computer fans on the backside of the refrigerator to 5" size and added one more. The fans can be purchased on ebay or at a computer store for under $10 each.
Since the refrigerator is in the slide it does not get the chimney effect to evacuate the heat like a non slide unit that will vent out the roof rather than the side of the slide. With that situation the air does not flow across the top fins. Here is where I added a baffle to direct the air across the top fins.
I have attached some pics that may help you understand what I did.
One more thing, while you are back there and before installing a baffle I suggest that you change out the white drain hose.

Peace
Dave

Were you able to make the modifications through the outer vent doors or did you have to remove the refrigerator to install the fans?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Did you install your fans with the unit in place or did you have to remove the refrigerator?
I did it through the top vent access. If I remember correctly the larger fans screwed onto the little angle iron where I removed the smaller ones but had to drill an extra hole. I might be wrong there, it's been a while.

Peace
Dave

lwmcguir

We added Insulation to the top of the fridge and a baffle. Helped quiet a bit and larger fans are next.

Kandy

Hey All,
Thanks for the information. I have opted go with replacing the cooling fans on the back of the unit. Does any one know what size (CFM/min) should I Look for. Right now here are two Protechnic Electric 3.5" fans (MAG9212UB-025) located on the back of the unit. I am not able to find out the CFM's of these fans. I thought ta I read that there was a 5" replacement fan by CORSAIR but can't find the part number. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Kandy

rxbristol

Hey All,
Thanks for the information. I have opted go with replacing the cooling fans on the back of the unit. Does any one know what size (CFM/min) should I Look for. Right now here are two Protechnic Electric 3.5" fans (MAG9212UB-025) located on the back of the unit. I am not able to find out the CFM's of these fans. I thought ta I read that there was a 5" replacement fan by CORSAIR but can't find the part number. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Kandy

The fridge fans only come on when the temperature reaches 100 degrees which is detected by a sensor on the top cooling fins. I just installed a large capacity fan that runs all the time, at the top, which has improved my fridge's cooling tremendously.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 132