The Towmax Gremlin strikes again!

crussian

Shocker for Sunday. Got up, got coffee, read some news, and decided to visit the Heartland Forum. SHOCKED is not the best word to describe how my mouth and eyes reacted at the comments regarding Tow Max tires. I stopped momentarily to go and visually look at my "NEW" Oakmont 345RS and its' tires. I about fell over. You guessed it, Tow Max. I came back inside and began reading the thread from the beginning and visualizing all the damage done to various trailers. Unbelievable. So, I began the painful search for better tires. All you folks found out what I am finding out, not a cheap venture. Needless to say I am disappointed in Heartland and their choice of Brands of tires. I know they are trying to provide a great unit with a great price to compete with other trailer manufacturers, however, that must NEVER be done at the expense of safety.

I still haven't figured out why Heartland would continue to select and inferior tire rather than at $1500 to a sticker price to mount better tires. I just don't get it.

Cary & Janet

Jim.Allison

The GY614 were probably offered as an option, but not ever offered to you. Now would be a good time to look at the 614 as tire prices are somewhat related to oil prices. The consensus is the 614 is probably the best you will get in terms of money and quality. I went with the G114s which required a change in rim and the purchase of very expensive tires. If I had it to do over again I would select the G614. But there are other 614 equivalents for the more frugal buyer, but for the money I would probably go goodyear. I lost my first Towmax at 1600 miles. The reasons for towmax failures are numerous probably starting with an inferior tire, that runs under inflated and over speed from the factory to the dealer. Then there is a little owner abuse thrown in for good measure. Get a good tire with a good name that will inflate to 110 lbs, and a TPMS. For the most part your troubles will be over. First check your rims to see if they are 3750 lbs capacity with the 110 psi rating. This data is casted on the inside of the rim, most likely that is the spec but it is critical that the rim be capable of the 110 psi. Good luck and keep us informed as to what you find.Get those TowMax off your rig they are an accident , and ruined weekend waiting to happen. Often you will lose 2 on the same trip, leaving you without a spare on the second "BlowMAx failure" I sold my BlowMax's to a landscaper, and he was glad to get them. Craigslist is a great place to sell them. I would think that you can get 5 to 600 dollars for a barely used set if you throw in the spare.

Shocker for Sunday. Got up, got coffee, read some news, and decided to visit the Heartland Forum. SHOCKED is not the best word to describe how my mouth and eyes reacted at the comments regarding Tow Max tires. I stopped momentarily to go and visually look at my "NEW" Oakmont 345RS and its' tires. I about fell over. You guessed it, Tow Max. I came back inside and began reading the thread from the beginning and visualizing all the damage done to various trailers. Unbelievable. So, I began the painful search for better tires. All you folks found out what I am finding out, not a cheap venture. Needless to say I am disappointed in Heartland and their choice of Brands of tires. I know they are trying to provide a great unit with a great price to compete with other trailer manufacturers, however, that must NEVER be done at the expense of safety.

I still haven't figured out why Heartland would continue to select and inferior tire rather than at $1500 to a sticker price to mount better tires. I just don't get it.

Cary & Janet

TX_Clay

After reading story after story of TowMax tire failures. I decided it was better to bite the bullet and spend some money upfront instead of on insurance deductible. I couldn't afford to go all the way for top of the line. But $800 for 5 tires is still an expense.
Hopefully, 14 ply Carlisle tires will be better than the TowMax. I feel a little better about them. Off with the bad!

Attachments

• Blowmax 3.jpg
    Blowmax 3.jpg
    708.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Blowmax 2.jpg
    Blowmax 2.jpg
    723.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Blowmax 1.jpg
    Blowmax 1.jpg
    586.2 KB · Views: 32

Jim.Allison

U-Haul among others use Carlisles. I never see a U-haul on the side of the road, they do not carry spares either. I was looking at a set on a U-Haul the other day and was impressed with the quality. if you get a couple of hundred for the Blowmax your tire change will be even better.
After reading story after story of TowMax tireers use failures. I decided it was better to bite the bullet and spend some money upfront instead of on insurance deductible. I couldn't afford to go all the way for top of the line. But $800 for 5 tires is still an expense.
Hopefully, 14 ply Carlisle tires will be better than the TowMax. I feel a little better about them. Off with the bad!

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I have Carlisles on my North Trail...replaced the Tow max and so far, just over 14,000 miles and no wear is noticeable I did get the warranty via Discount tire and rotate and balance every 5,000 miles..I think they are great tires....have then on other ranch trailers and they are doing great...

mrbillvw

After we ordered our 3160EL I knew from the forums here that the 5er would come spec'd with Towmax may-pops. Kary with Heartland was very helpful in working with our dealer to upgrade to G614's from the factory. At $1600 it is cost that I'm OK with, although I wish Heartland would not put us in the position of towing our new RV with inferior cheap tires. One thing though that I also wonder is: I doubt that the delivery driver stops every 50 miles in the first 500 to re-touque the wheel nuts!
Bill & Eva
Talent, OR

Jim.Allison

The re-torque is not a thing. You have 8 bolts holding on that wheel, the clamping force is tremendous. However the concept is centered around the fact that aluminum tend to relax under pressure so torque and retorque and you're good to go.

After we ordered our 3160EL I knew from the forums here that the 5er would come spec'd with Towmax may-pops. Kary with Heartland was very helpful in working with our dealer to upgrade to G614's from the factory. At $1600 it is cost that I'm OK with, although I wish Heartland would not put us in the position of towing our new RV with inferior cheap tires. One thing though that I also wonder is: I doubt that the delivery driver stops every 50 miles in the first 500 to re-touque the wheel nuts!
Bill & Eva
Talent, OR