Theater Seating Heater Malfunction

RVFun4Us

Bought our 2016 Bighorn 3270 last February so still under warranty. Starting in October, the heater stopped functioning on the left side. Right side works fine. Has anyone else had problems with the heater? Wondering if it is a simple plug and play replacement on a component or something more. Will contact Heartland to ask for advice.

SNOKING

I have a ticket open for open of ours that quit working. It is getting the 19V, however no heat. The heat pad shows as an open circuit with my ohm meter. Lippert sent me a new power supply, despite the testing I reported to them??? They have no parts for the heat pad and say they will most likely ship a new complete seat for that side.

Chris

Last edited:

Oregon_Camper

Is it is just the heater that no longer works?

Have you turned the chair over to make sure all three plugs still have a solid connection? Mine had come lose 2 times.

SNOKING

Looks like they are shipping a new right side seated, to replace the seat that does not heat. Go figure!

RVFun4Us

Is it is just the heater that no longer works?

Have you turned the chair over to make sure all three plugs still have a solid connection? Mine had come lose 2 times.

I did check the wiring underneath to make sure everything was connected tightly back in October. Rig is currently is storage but I will be taking it out next week and will recheck. Everything else other than the heating element seems to be working fine.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a ticket open for open of ours that quit working. It is getting the 19V, however no heat. The heat pad shows as an open circuit with my ohm meter. Lippert sent me a new power supply, despite the testing I reported to them??? They have no parts for the heat pad and say they will most likely ship a new complete seat for that side.

Chris

Received a reply from Elaine at Heartland asking me to complete information on a form she sent, wants a front view photo of the seating and a photo of the law tag. Will do all that next week when I pull the rig from storage for 10 days. I will also recheck all electrical connections again to make sure I did not miss anything Interesting that they are willing to ship a complete seat to you to fix the problem. If they suggest that for me, than I hope they can send direct to me so I don't have to take to dealer.

DougS

Doug S
Our heater also stopped working, a plug came loose. I was able to reach the plug by raising the foot rest and reaching the plug in the very back of the seat just off the floor.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I did check the wiring underneath to make sure everything was connected tightly back in October. Rig is currently is storage but I will be taking it out next week and will recheck. Everything else other than the heating element seems to be working fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Received a reply from Elaine at Heartland asking me to complete information on a form she sent, wants a front view photo of the seating and a photo of the law tag. Will do all that next week when I pull the rig from storage for 10 days. I will also recheck all electrical connections again to make sure I did not miss anything Interesting that they are willing to ship a complete seat to you to fix the problem. If they suggest that for me, than I hope they can send direct to me so I don't have to take to dealer.

Keep us updated! I know when we had our loveseat replaced due to an invoice error, Lippert shipped to dealer, dealer replaced it and took the original loveseat away. Because we are full timers, we had scheduled appt and told them we would would be waiting. They did that and our other warranty items in about 4 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RVFun4Us

Sent nine photos and answered some questions for Heartland per the questionnaire they sent me. Elaine was going to send the info and photos to Lippert for their evaluation. Problem has continued since taking our rig out of storage on the 19th. So will wait and see.

SNOKING

OK, I give up the other seat heat has now also crapped out! Not sure the trouble to replace them is worth the effort. I have an email back to Lippert and Heartland about it. The left one is schedule to ship on the 6th of January. How many others are having similar experiences?

BTW does anyone know how these are fastened to the slide out floor?

Chris

dykesj11

On our 2016 3575EL, they are attached to the floor which turns out to be a PITA. Because there is sufficient space between seat and sides to permit cell phone et al to slide down through, it becomes an exercise to get underneath to recover items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oregon_Camper

On our 2016 3575EL, they are attached to the floor which turns out to be a PITA. Because there is sufficient space between seat and sides to permit cell phone et al to slide down through, it becomes an exercise to get underneath to recover items.

Now that you said that, I think there is a small plate each one kinda slips into. In our case, we simply pull the middle section out (the center console for remotes and stuff) and then the two chairs can easily be moved.

Are you're screwed down? Yikes...that would be bad.

SNOKING

On Edit: I found a screw in one back corner and assume there is one in the other corner.

I found a company that sells the same 29V DC power supply and have a message out to them to see if they have a compatible heat pad.

http://www.recliner-handles.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=a290020-a

Chris

Last edited:

SNOKING

I found another screw in the front opposite corner next to the center console. Raise the recliner foot rest. Then the seat lifted off the tabs on the center console. While exploring I installed the UPS (behind the rear section) for our computer CPU that sits behind the seat next to the dining room table. I use a wireless keyboard and mouse, so only have to deal with display cable and power.

Did I say I miss the computer desk in my old SOB. Chris

RVFun4Us

Lippert has indicated that they will send heating pads plus heat wiring connectors and 5 yards of black typar to cover the bottom after repair. Since they indicated heating pads, I would assume they will replace both of them even though only one is malfunctioning. My theater seating is bolted down to the slide. They are also giving me the option to have repaired at a dealer or do it myself. Probably the biggest hassle is unbolting it and turning it over to get to the pads. Has anyone done this themselves and if so, how much work was involved? Thinking about just having them send direct to me.

SNOKING

Lippert has indicated that they will send heating pads plus heat wiring connectors and 5 yards of black typar to cover the bottom after repair. Since they indicated heating pads, I would assume they will replace both of them even though only one is malfunctioning. My theater seating is bolted down to the slide. They are also giving me the option to have repaired at a dealer or do it myself. Probably the biggest hassle is unbolting it and turning it over to get to the pads. Has anyone done this themselves and if so, how much work was involved? Thinking about just having them send direct to me.

The back outside screw was easy to remove with a #2 square bit. The front center one was a *****. Seat is quite light to move around once lifted off the tabs on the side of the center console. The back is also removable similar to the Lazy Boys Recliners. Hopefully they will change my order to new heat pads. One of the last things I put in the trailer of stuff we brought back from Washington after Christmas was my air 1/2 stapler and SS staples that I use for upholstery work.

I will take lots of pictures as I take it apart to help with putting it back together.

We will see what they say Tuesday when they return, as they had scheduled to send me a whole seat section on Jan 6th. That was before the second one went out.

Because we are living in our trailer, I will do this myself like I did on the TSB for Dometic AC units.

Chris

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a picture of the front center screw on the other side (AKA DW's side). This one is angled better for easy removal. Chris

Oregon_Camper

..... I use a wireless keyboard and mouse, so only have to deal with display cable and power.

Are you saying you have a second computer (a tower unit) behind your chair in addition to the laptop we can see in your picture? If so, then you can simply add a wireless display to the tower and remove that cable.

Here are 5 examples. The Chromecast image is a bit dated...they have newer version now.

http://www.wirelesshack.org/top-5-wireless-computer-monitor-and-tv-setups.html

I used the Chromecast 1080p version and just sit in my chair and send everything (video and audio) to the TV via wireless.

SNOKING

Are you saying you have a second computer (a tower unit) behind your chair in addition to the laptop we can see in your picture? If so, then you can simply add a wireless display to the tower and remove that cable.

Here are 5 examples. The Chromecast image is a bit dated...they have newer version now.

http://www.wirelesshack.org/top-5-wireless-computer-monitor-and-tv-setups.html

I used the Chromecast 1080p version and just sit in my chair and send everything (video and audio) to the TV via wireless.

Well, DW likes to watch TV and I like to play on the computer! Laptop is in it's travel bag. Laptop was kept down in screen size as it was the heart of the nav system on the boat and had to fit of dash. Boat is gone, house is gone, so we have one large tower with 23" wide screen display which I am currently using, wifes mini tower and display that may go in bedroom of park model we are building and laptop as a backup. Might consider a larger laptop next time we up grade.

UPS is at the far end with buttons reachable around that end of the theater seats. I have the seats powered from the UPS also, so they will work when power is off.