Things I would like to see!

traveler44

I would like to see a National Fishing License. Where every senior citizen 65 years and older could fish anywhere in this country by buying one license. We have paid our share of taxes and if we are anywhere away from our home state we are spending money there too. Some states have laws where you can fish without a license up until a certain age. This way they encourage younger people to enjoy fishing. I think they should give us older people a break and encourage us to fish more. Tom

donr827

In Florida if you are 65 or older you do not need a fishing license anymore. Do not know if this only applies to residents or not.
Don

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Tom, are you saying your old??
Oh, and because this thread does not relate to RV's I moved it to "Around The Campfire".
Here you can tell all of your fishing tales, like the big one that got away.

Peace
Dave

traveler44

Thanks for moving my thread to the proper place. The reason I would like a national license is because we travel through so many states where I would like to stop and wet a line and although many states do give their OWN seniors a discount on fishing licenses. Many states charge out of state seniors as much as they do those able bodied young folks with the fast boats. That just doesn't seem fair to me.

wdk450

The idea of a quiet idyllic day fishing sounds so attractive. The reality of the manual of 100's of pages of California regulations (like "Not within 1000 feet of the confluence of streams or the period of Nov. 1 to April 1") make me worry too much about being illegal and getting a citation. You also have to wear your license pinned to your clothes so it can be seen by a ranger with binoculars, besides the large cost for a basic license, and then the salmon and other "special fee" tags just makes it too much of a hassle for me.
Here is a link to just the freshwater regulations. There is a another whole manual on ocean fishing for the 800 miles of coastline we have.
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/FreshFish-Mar2012/

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I would like to see a National Fishing License. Where every senior citizen 65 years and older could fish anywhere in this country by buying one license. We have paid our share of taxes and if we are anywhere away from our home state we are spending money there too. Some states have laws where you can fish without a license up until a certain age. This way they encourage younger people to enjoy fishing. I think they should give us older people a break and encourage us to fish more. Tom
Even though I am not a "senior" I agree with you 100%.

PeternLiane

That would be a nightmare of a license. You would have to carry a rule book larger than a Landmark. Then the Gobberment (yes spelt wrong) would have even more control. LOL.

vakthund

Federal fishing license? Have some mercy.
I'm trying to envision the conversation between George Washington and the Federal Fishing Commission: No, sir, you can not fish from your Mount Vernon property without a license, these are Federal waters.
10th amendment I guess, the fish may have crossed a state line somewhere.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
How about just a reciprocal agreement for seniors (62 and up) with your state of residency fishing license, like they do with concealed carry licenses?
No need to get the Feds involved.
Yes, I'm 62

PeternLiane

How about just a reciprocal agreement for seniors (62 and up) with your state of residency fishing license, like they do with concealed carry licenses?
No need to get the Feds involved.
Yes, I'm 62

Its wildlife there would be a fight as soon as the fish cross state lines. People go crazy of that stuff even when something makes sense. I've seen it on the Arkansas River all of the time.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Oh Larry, this is SOOOOOOO hard not to comment on........

BUT, I will restrain myself!!
View attachment 18603

Oh go ahead and say it Lance but remember I am a lot younger than you.

As far as the FED getting involved-no, I dont want to see that-just anyone over a certain age is free-period-end of story-thats it. How many rules could they right for that???:confused:

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
We paid $11.00 for permanent lic. in Tennessee when we winter in Texas it costs us $68.00 for yearly lic. for salt and fresh water. I agree with first post. The rules would be up to the individual for each state. The lic in Tn includes trout and hunting priv.

traveler44

In Florida if you are 65 or older you do not need a fishing license anymore. Do not know if this only applies to residents or not.
Don

Yes Don, That applies to residents only. It cost $44 if I remember right for our nonresident fresh water license. But they are good from date of purchase until the same date next year. At least Fl. does give residents more breaks on a lot of things than many other states. Il. license for resident seniors is $12. It is common in Fl. to have two prices on a lot of things, resident and nonresident, and not just for seniors. By the way I like the reciprocal idea. We have to check out the state laws and obey them no matter where we are and what we do.