Time for a new battery

HappyKayakers

During a recent power outage, I checked the battery indicator and it read Low almost immediately after the power went out. Considering it's 5 yrs old and the original battery I didn't expect much more. However, I now have a couple of questions. Can I still maintain power to the RV while replacing the battery? I'd like to just make one trip for the new one (take the old one with for disposal fee). Can I unplug shore power, remove the battery, then reconnect shore power? I have limited electrical experience and can only compare this to my laptop which will run without any battery installed as long as it's plugged in.Any suggestions for replacement battery or source?

branson4020

Icantre Member
You can run without the battery. You don't need to disconnect shore power to remove the battery, but you certainly can if you're more comfortable. Make sure the positive battery cable doesn't short to ground while you have the battery out.

HappyKayakers

You can run without the battery. You don't need to disconnect shore power to remove the battery, but you certainly can if you're more comfortable. Make sure the positive battery cable doesn't short to ground while you have the battery out.
Thanks! I hadn't even thought of the dangling cables yet.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you have a battery shut-off switch, you can disconnect the battery with that and remove it. The converter will provide 12V power to the rig without the battery in place. No shut-off switch, then wrap the terminal ends with electrical tape and dangle them apart. Or just secure the negative inside the empty battery box and let the positive hang loose.