Tire Pressure

sdagro

What is the recommended tire pressure for my 3670 bighorn. I know max pressure on tire reads 110psi. Anyone know what the Heartland recommends? I've been running about 102-105 just because. Thanks, Steve

Last edited:

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I agree with boatto5ver...if it is a ST Goodyear 614 or any ST tire for that matter, it should be run at the rated max psi.

Last edited:

branson4020

Icantre Member
The pressure will vary as much as 30 lbs just with temperature increases. Worrying about 5-7 lbs cold inflation is just overthinking the problem. Fill em up to the max pressure listed on the sidewall and enjoy your trip.

jnbhobe

10/4 Just use the sidewall as the law and you won't be worrying about. A quality TPMS helps too and don't worry about it when it gets warm and goer up like Bob says thats normal.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Ok I have been following this thread and the others too that deal with tire pressures. So now I am really confused. If I fill the tires to include TV to the max side wall ratings, I don't worry about temps or do I need to use the temps scales I have seen. This area is something that I really need to improve on since I really just filled my other smaller SOB and did not worry about tire pressure to much. I guess I need to go back to tire school.

hoefler

Use the cold inflation pressure listed on the tire. In the heat of the summer going down the road, the pressure will increase. Let it be, do not reduce pressure. Key word "COLD" ,tire inflation pressure.

sdagro

After looking at all of the replies to my OP, I have another scenario. Lets say I am going down the highway in mid July, and after a few hundred miles, stop for fuel and notice one of my tires is low. How can one accurately check the pressure in a HOT tire. Just thought of that last night so I decided to present this question. I am not really trying to make a mountain out of a molehill, just would like to know how to treat this situation. Thanks, Steve

wyleyrabbit

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't everyone inflate their tires to the recommended pressure as listed on the government placard on the side of the trailer or vehicle. My Bighorn says 80 psi, and that's what I do.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't everyone inflate their tires to the recommended pressure as listed on the government placard on the side of the trailer or vehicle. My Bighorn says 80 psi, and that's what I do.

This issue has been discussed a number of times but let me summarize. The placard is the suggested pressure and does not take into consideration the total weight of the loaded trailer. The COLD pressure on the side of the tire is for the maximum weight the tire is capable of carrying. Unless you weight you rig on individual tires each time you start out you will not know positively how much weight is on the individual tires, therefore you are safest inflating to the max Cold pressure. For a G rated tire it is 110 psi, for an E rated tire that is 80 psi. There are inflation charts available which some go by knowing what their last weight was. There are also inflation charts which indicate the proper inflation as determined by the ambient temperature. Inflation can also be influenced by elevation. For my own safety I will use the MAX COLD pressure as indicated on the sidewall of the tire. How this makes this issue as clear as Mud LOL. Good luck and safe travels.

hoefler

Remember the fiasco that Firestone and Ford got into?? Ford did not like the ride that the Firestone tires gave when inflated to the tire manufacturer's ( Firestone ) recommended pressure for the load. Ford decided to lower the minimum recommended tire pressure, the rest of the story is history. Trailer tires that are at or near the rated load should be at the tire's manufactures rated pressure. As far as what is stated on your door jam or where ever it may be, if you do not have the original tires on it any more, those pressures are out the window. When I replaced the China bombs on my Landmark, the dealer recommended 95 psi in the tires, they are rated at 110 psi. I drove approximately 30 miles and stopped to get fuel. It was in the upper 90's that day. I went and did a simple temperature check by placing the back of my hand on the tires, they were so hot that I was burned. I called my tire dealer of 20 years who had sold the tires to me and ask what gives?? He said to go ahead and fill to the 110 psi like it is rated for. 2 weeks later when we left on or vacation, after driving for 600 miles on the interstate in 100* heat, the tires were warm but no where near the temps I experienced on my short trip from the tire dealer. Bottom line, the manufacture of the vehicles and trailers are looking for the best ride, I will gladly give up a little ride for safety and stability.

wyleyrabbit

Hmm, yes I agree this issue is complicated. However, having tires overinflated can cause problems too. With less rubber touching the road, braking is drastically reduced. So suggesting that max tire inflation is the right thing to do, period, might not be the right thing to do in all cases, and could be dangerous in some.

Hoosier Wolverine

Unless I was towing my BH empty, I'd never concern myself with too little rubber touching the road, and even then I think it's heavy enough. Bottom line...I always inflate my 614's to 110lb....jmho

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have never understood why this is even an issue. 110 psi on G rated tires and be done with it. Under-inflated tires are more than dangerous, they are deadly.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
The 110 lb max fill makes since to me, it's the temperatue at which it is filled to 110 that is confusing. If I fill to 110 first thing in the morning on a day where it is 65 outside and drive all day to a location where it is 30 degrees, what happens to my tire pressures?

branson4020

Icantre Member
The 110 lb max fill makes since to me, it's the temperatue at which it is filled to 110 that is confusing. If I fill to 110 first thing in the morning on a day where it is 65 outside and drive all day to a location where it is 30 degrees, what happens to my tire pressures?
It'll go up as the tires warm up, then go down as they cool off. When you get up the next morning in your 30 degeree weather, it will be a couple of pounds lower than when you filled up at 65 degerees. If you're concerned, top it back up to 110.

Stop thinking about this. Get up in the morning, inflate to max sidewall pressure and drive. Repeat next day.