Tire rotation

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I'm going to do something today that may be excessive but I think it may lengthen my tire life.

We've been reading posts about all four tires wearing on the outside edge and in some cases attribute this to alignment or the axle tube being curved or some other reason all which make perfect sense to me. I have the Mor Ryde IS so hopefully my alignment is good but I still have more wear on the outer edge than the inner.

In addition to a normal rotation, I'm having the Goodyear dealer flip the tires on the wheels and reload the balancing powder. It just seems to me it might add some tread life and even expose a new side of the tire to UV.

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

I have never heard of balancing powder. Can you explain what this product is?
The dealer (Goodyear) explained it to me but I forget the name of the product. It's used in commercial trailers mostly but it's also good to use in heavier RV towables. He also said it doesn't really do any good at speeds less than 30 mph.
It's a powder or granular material (6 oz. per RV tire, 12 oz. in big rigs) that is inside the tire. He also said it requires a special valve core. Not sure why but I trust this dealer. they've been around here forever.

scotty

Agree, I used that in my SOB 5er. I actually ordered it, that was back in 05. Found it on the IRV2 forum, sorry can't remember the name, but they sent me new valve cores and bags of power. Don't know if it really worked, but I assume it did because after using it things inside the unit stay put. The unit was a rear kitchen.

GOTTOYS

I think that stuff is called Dynabeads. If you look on the net there is a lot of discussion on whether it works or not..I'm sticking with the old tried and true methods of balancing..JMHO..Don

scotty

I think that stuff is called Dynabeads. If you look on the net there is a lot of discussion on whether it works or not..I'm sticking with the old tried and true methods of balancing..JMHO..Don
Ya got it that was exactly what is was.

lwmcguir

We use it on the camper (17.5) and in our 19.5 tires. Works great and would never go back to weights.

rick_debbie_gallant

I simply have my tires rotated every 5000 miles or so. While they are doing that I also have the old stale air taken out and fresh air put back in. I also bought some repair certs for the tires should anything go wrong I can have them repaired. TAFN.

wingfoot

I'm going to do something today that may be excessive but I think it may lengthen my tire life.

We've been reading posts about all four tires wearing on the outside edge and in some cases attribute this to alignment or the axle tube being curved or some other reason all which make perfect sense to me. I have the Mor Ryde IS so hopefully my alignment is good but I still have more wear on the outer edge than the inner.

In addition to a normal rotation, I'm having the Goodyear dealer flip the tires on the wheels and reload the balancing powder. It just seems to me it might add some tread life and even expose a new side of the tire to UV.

Be careful Ray. This is a C/P from Goodyear Warranty site:

This limited warranty does not cover the following:

• Tires submitted for ride disturbance that are worn beyond the first 2/32" tread depth, or beyond six (6) months from the date of purchase, whichever occurs first. Or tires submitted for ride disturbance due to damaged wheels, or any vehicle condition. Proof of purchase is required (see the fifth bullet under Owner’s Obligations).
  • Goodyear does not warrant or give credit in any adjustment transaction for any kind of material added to a tire (e.g., tire fillers, sealants, balancing substances) after the tire leaves a factory producing Goodyear tires, nor will it adjust any tire that has failed as a result of adding such material.
  • Irregular wear or damage due to mechanical condition of the vehicle, improper inflation, overloading, high-speed spin-up, misapplication, misuse, negligence, racing, use of tire chains, improper mounting or demounting, improper repair, wreck, collision, or fire.
  • Road hazards (includes, but not limited to, punctures, cuts, snags, impact breaks, etc)
  • Any tire that, after leaving a factory producing Goodyear tires, has been intentionally altered to change its appearance (e.g., white inlay on a black tire, or re-grooved)
  • Tires removed from service due to improper repairs.
  • Tires with weather-cracking that were purchased more than four (4) years prior to presentation for adjustment or, if purchase date cannot be verified, manufactured more than four years prior to presentation for adjustment.
  • Loss of time, inconvenience, loss of vehicle use, or incidental or consequential damages.
  • Cosmetic weather checking.
Now, I know it says "as a result" but I wouldn't want to get into a ****ing contest with the tire company.

One argument for rotation is, most highways/interstates are constructed so that rain will dissipate/run off the surface to control hydroplaning. That being said, our tires will wear according to their contact with the road, and since there usually a slight more pressure put on the inside contact area of the tire, it will naturally wear a little faster...Hence, rotation will alleviate that somewhat. But if you are getting shoulder wear that could be an inflation problem..

Hope this helps,

Larry

Good luck..BTW, in my opinion trailer ties should be balanced and rotated.

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Be careful Ray. This is a C/P from Goodyear Warranty site:

• Goodyear does not warrant or give credit in any adjustment transaction for any kind of material added to a tire (e.g., tire fillers, sealants, balancing substances) after the tire leaves a factory producing Goodyear tires, nor will it adjust any tire that has failed as a result of adding such material.
Now, I know it says "as a result" but I wouldn't want to get into a ****ing contest with the tire company.

Good luck..BTW, in my opinion trailer ties should be balanced and rotated.
I see your point. I'm guessing/hoping that because the dealer is a well known national Goodyear Dealer (Schierl Tire) that if I did have any issues, it would be covered. The tires are over 3 years old now. It was them that installed the Equal at the original purchase. I think the key thing is where it says "as a result of adding such materials". Thanks for the heads up though, good information!

wingfoot

I simply have my tires rotated every 5000 miles or so. While they are doing that I also have the old stale air taken out and fresh air put back in. I also bought some repair certs for the tires should anything go wrong I can have them repaired. TAFN.

What are "tire certs"...a steel belted tire should always be dismounted and repaired from the inside. A patch should be vulcanized from the inside, actually melting rubber into the injury. This will prevent oxidation of the steel belts, thus increasing the chances of a separation.

lwmcguir

I never rotate the tires on our Campers as we have never seen a need to do so. Balancing however is done via DynaBeads and we wouldn't change that. Have never had a puncture yet on the H's but having said that I am sure we will some day. Have had several on the TV's and they are always vulcanized.

rick_debbie_gallant

What are "tire certs"...a steel belted tire should always be dismounted and repaired from the inside. A patch should be vulcanized from the inside, actually melting rubber into the injury. This will prevent oxidation of the steel belts, thus increasing the chances of a separation.

A "tire cert" is a "tire certificate" It covers repair, replacement, tire balancing and rotation free of charge on tires. And yes they do repair them the proper way. I got them at discount tire. Well worth the money in my opinion.

Birchwood

My Landmark tires are not balanced and am assuming its not required because it wasn't
done at the factory.I am in the process of tire rotation and will be flipping my 614 tires
also as some are wearing on the inside.Does anyone do a regular balance on their tires?

caissiel

I had my G load tires balanced and they were way off. I am glad I did balance them, it will prevent additional wear and tear on the suspension for sure. Specialy the rubber mounts on the equilizers.

Attachments

• HPIM8221.jpg
    HPIM8221.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 34
  • HPIM8222.jpg
    HPIM8222.jpg
    541.9 KB · Views: 34

jnbhobe

My Landmark tires are not balanced and am assuming its not required because it wasn't
done at the factory.I am in the process of tire rotation and will be flipping my 614 tires
also as some are wearing on the inside.Does anyone do a regular balance on their tires?

The first thing I do is to have all new tires balanced. My buddy just got a new Road Force Balancer witch is what Ford requires for balance under warranty now days. Seems to have worked very well on both the truck and trailer.

rick_debbie_gallant

Let me see if I remember this correctly, When we first got our BH two years ago (new) it had the "chianabombs) on there. I had them balanced before I even hit the road. One tire took "21 ounces" of weights. What does this mean? Tires were way out of balance. I know have the 614's. Had them balanced also. now I may have a total of 4 or 5 ounces between all four tires. Just something to think about with tire balanceing.

lwmcguir

You most likely have an alignment issue. I use DynaBeads in my G614's 16's as well as the 17.5's. Well worth the money.