Tires and Rims

DuaneG

I searched through many topics and was looking for clarification on why some decide to change from 16" rims to 17.5" when upgrading tires. I looked and have those deadly tow max tires, but was not clear on if there is a benefit to getting larger rims. What type of rims are people buying and is it because the new tires are not compatible with the old rims or maybe the new tires only come in the larger size. If I was to get new rims what should I look for and will there be enough clearance on the trailer and will the bolt pattern fit without some adapter.

We have a Silverado 33RK if that helps.

danemayer

A lot of people are changing from E range to G range tires to get more margin on the tire capability. One choice is the Goodyear G614 tires which go on 16" wheels that have to be rated for 110 psi. The G614 supports heavier loads than the E rated tires. Others are going up to Goodyear G114 tires which are about the same diameter at a G614, but are mounted on a 17.5" wheel. They go up to 125 psi and support significantly heavier loads than the 614.

GOTTOYS

Using the 17.5 wheels and tires is the ultimate solution to tire problems but may be more you really need. I upgraded from my original tires to a set of load range E 235/85/16 LT tires and they have worked out just fine. They will work with your original wheels and are the least expensive solution. My trailer weighs around 12,500# loaded. If I had a heavier trailer then the next step up would be a Load Range G tire like a Goodyear G614. They require a 16" wheel like the ones you have but they also require a wheel that can withstand 110 PSI tire pressure. Most of the wheels sold on new Heartland trailers can but some can't. You need to remove one wheel and look for the rating on the backside of one of the spokes. The next step up from there is to go to the 17.5" wheel and tire package. also the most expensive choice. Your Tow Max tires may work just fine if you are only towing short distances and are not too heavily loaded....Don

Sandpirate69

With all due respect. I was bit by the Towmax Blowout. I went to the 17.5 in rims because there are a variety of tire manufacturers and sizes. I ljke options. I went with the Goodyear G114 plenty of tire but im happy with them. HL xxxxxxxxxxx with the cheap rims that only hold 80psi . So I couldnt even upgrade to the G614's. I did contact HL and they said they couldnt help me. So basically spend my money to keep my family safe & rig in one piece.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:

TXTiger

I replaced my tires with the Mitchlen XPS Ribs 235/85/16. My rims were able to hold the 110 psi required for the Goodyear G614 but the Mitchlen only needs 80 psi were less expensive and have as good a reputation as the Goodyear.

Scott at trailertiresandwheels.com send me a price yesterday for the Hi-Spec Series 07 17.5x6.75 8 on 6.5 bolt circle Aluminum Wheels with stainless steel center caps and stainless steel capped lug nuts, Goodyear 21575R17.5 LRH G114tires balanced and installed for $630.00 each.
I have upgraded to 8,000# axles, brakes and springs, installed by Lippert.
Wheels rated at 4850# each.
Tires rated at 4805# each.
This is the current price.
I plan to upgrade before the Goshen Rally in June, so there may be a price difference by then.
I wanted to get a price now, so I know how much money to save up.
I'm sending this out so if you're thinking of doing this, you know what you're up against.

Hockster

=======================================================================================================================================

Sandpirate69

Scott at trailertiresandwheels.com send me a price yesterday for the Hi-Spec Series 07 17.5x6.75 8 on 6.5 bolt circle Aluminum Wheels with stainless steel center caps and stainless steel capped lug nuts, Goodyear 21575R17.5 LRH G114tires balanced and installed for $630.00 each.
I plan to upgrade before the Goshen Rally in June, so there may be a price difference by then.
I'm sending this out so if you're thinking of doing this, you know what you're up against.

Hockster

=======================================================================================================================================

Scott helped me out and sent my rims out fast. I couldn't find them locally, so I contacted him the day after Thanksgiving. He called me back within an hour and helped me out.

olhippys

Has anyone had any problems with the rims on the cyclone. We have been through the Tow Max blow outs with the same ending with Dynamic. Now after examining the rims, we are finding cracks in the spokes, some all the way through. Now we have to replace all the rims after replacing tires.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone had any problems with the rims on the cyclone. We have been through the Tow Max blow outs with the same ending with Dynamic. Now after examining the rims, we are finding cracks in the spokes, some all the way through. Now we have to replace all the rims after replacing tires.
Depending on the age of your Cyclone, the rims may qualify for warranty replacement from the rim supplier.
Give Heartland Customer Service a call, explain the situation and ask for a contact number for the wheel supplier. Have your VIN handy when you call.
Heartland Customer Service
877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030

Peace
Dave

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

The rims have a lifetime warranty! Contact Tredit, they have some forms to fill out and need pics.

We had cracked spokes. Tredit was very helpful and shipped a new rim to us while on a trip. Covered standard shipping and reimbursed us for mounting of the tire on the rim. (Did not cover balancing, and we changed the tire ourselves.) They also supplied a prepaid shipping label to send the defective rim back.

7unuzugy.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dfk009

After much searching on the internet for wheels that will fit my Elkridge 34 TSRE, that will carry Goodyear G614's @ 110#, to get rid of the 80# Tow Max and wheels. I have found them. A company by the name of SenDel Wheel, has the past 7 spoke type T02 that Heartland used, and they have the new 8 spoke type T04 used on current BH and LM. These wheels are 16X6, 8 hole 6.50 bolt circle, and they are both rated at 3750# @ 110PSI. If you shop various sellers, some have very reasonable prices with free shipping. Good bye China bombs, hello USA!

I have a question concerning the newest mfg.'erd units. Are they still using China Bombs. I will pick-up my 24RBS this week. Have I errored with my recent discision to owner a Heartland product? ? Seems many unhappy campers are out there

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Coneagle59fal I don't think you have made an error buying a Heartland product. We are on our second Heartland product and both have been great.
Seems we don't hear many good stories when things are trouble free.
Be sure to do a thorough PDI when you pick up your new rig.
And most importantly enjoy it when you get it.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Hi coneagle59fal,

Just about every tire company now has manufacturing in China. A few years ago there were widespread anecdotal reports of problems involving various tires made in China.

More recently, most tire problem reports on this forum have involved Towmax load range E tires. From what I've heard, these tires are also used on other RV brands, with similar reports on other forums.

One difficulty here is that we have a couple of dozen people who post about their tire failures repeatedly, making it seem like there's a very high failure rate. It's clear there are failures but its hard to tell whether reading these posts gives an accurate picture of failure rates.

If you're not comfortable with the tires that come with your trailer, before taking it home, ask the dealer if he will swap them for another brand. If not, you may be able to get a tire dealer to cut you a deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GOTTOYS

I have a question concerning the newest mfg.'erd units. Are they still using China Bombs. I will pick-up my 24RBS this week. Have I errored with my recent discision to owner a Heartland product? ? Seems many unhappy campers are out there
Other than the Goodyear G614 tire there isn't an American made ST tire out there..So not only is Heartland using Chinese made ST tires, so is everyone else. That's all there is...Don

mattpopp

Trouble Maker

Hockster

I bought my 17.5's from Scott also. He sold me on the Cooper RM 160. The Hispec Alum wheel and tire was $460. The day I called him he had a customer come by that was a car hauler. Same tires on his trailer with just over 90k miles on them.

He discouraged me from buying the Goodyear tire as he said it was above and beyond over kill for my setup. Tandem axle with 16k GCWR.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Other than the Goodyear G614 tire there isn't an American made ST tire out there..So not only is Heartland using Chinese made ST tires, so is everyone else. That's all there is...Don

G614 is a LT. Don't know of a single ST made in the US

mattpopp

Trouble Maker

Landmark line comes with the G614