TIRES---Freestar(good)----GY 614's(not good yet!!)

aatauses

Hi everyone,
If this should be put in a different area on the forum, please move to appropriate place.
A comment about tires. We have a BH 3670 that came with Freestar tires (235/85r/16). Well, we are full timers and have had these tires on for 4 years now, they have been great, never lost pressure (run at 105) and axles weigh 6200 and 6400. They have been to AK and returned and across the lower 48. They have 26, 240 miles on them and still look good. However they are 5 years on mfg and 4 yrs on the rig so thought it was time to get the GY 614's. ( can't find the Freestar) So bought 4 GY 614's and when mounted 2 of them had bubbles on the sidewalls. GY is shipping me two new tires, but so far not too impressed with these and we have only put them on the rim!!!!!
So anyone running Freestar, they should be doing ok
al
currently in Grants Pass, OR

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I still have Freestars on my 3670, mold date 5207. I don't have more than about 5000 miles on them, if that, but they look like new and don't loose more than 5 psi or so after sitting idle for months. I run them at 110 psi and keep them covered, too.

At the 2011 rally,Tim Bell told me the Freestar line was discontinued because the molds had reached the end of their service. In his opinion, the Freestar was a very good tire.

I've had problems with GY's on my trucks. Either premature wear out or molded so badly they could not be balanced. Unfortunately, there isn't a whole lot of choice for G-rated tires.

beardedone

Beardedone
I have had brand name tires with what looks slightly raised bulges on the sidewall and was told that is nothing to worry about. Ran them for years and it was never an issue. Not having seen your tires I am not sure that we are talking about the same thing. My bulges were about 5 cm sq and never an issue.

Grey Ghost

Never had Freestar tires before so cannot say if they are good or bad. I run Michelin's on my Greystone and have not had a problem. Before that ran Michelin's on my Alpa Sun with no problems. Alpa came with Carlielle (sp) tires which three blew out on the first trip.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Found this on the web............

The Freestar brand of tires has been produced under trademark since 2000 by California-based Tireco Inc., which makes tire tubes, flaps and steel and custom aluminum wheels, in addition to tires.

wdk450

One of my original Freestars developed a sidewall bubble after 2 years use that soon popped. I have replaced all the tires with Geostars, which Les Schwab tires stocks and stands behind.

caissiel

One of my original Freestars developed a sidewall bubble after 2 years use that soon popped. I have replaced all the tires with Geostars, which Les Schwab tires stocks and stands behind.

My Freestars are still looking like new
I will replace them when needed. Last trailer had LTs on for over 7 years and still performed and looked as new. I rotated the spare with the 4 original and now it has a small cut observed during last trip caused by road debris. Its going as spare for the next year.
I plan on replacing the Freestars with Sailun tires sometime.

Sent from my U8666-51 using Tapatalk 2