Tires

larkinstuart

Can't decide on which tires to purchase after reading all the threads. Does anyone know anything about the Maxxis Tires 235/80R16 10ply. We had a blow out on our 3055 BH, no damage to the trailer. However it's time to replace all tires. Also looking at XPS Ribs-Michelin and the Goodyear G614s

Any experience with these tires?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Looking forward to hearing what you find out.

What rig do you have? Check your wheels. They may not be rated for the high pressure of the Goodyear G614s. I called Tredit, The wheel/tire supplier for HL. They confirmed that my wheels are rated for 80psi max.

E

jnbhobe

I would go with the michelin over the maxxis. You probably don't need the 614's, they are a lot more money, I bought four yesterday while traveling and paid $300 ea. out the door mounted and balanced and on the trailer.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I haven't heard much about the higher load range Maxxis tires yet but either the Goodyears or Michelins will do fine. On the Bighorn aluminum wheels, they have been coming rated for the "G" tires. You can check for sure on the back side of the wheel.

jgdds

I just put 6 BFG Commercial TA's(235/85/16) on my Cyclone. Time will tell, but for the price, it was a no brainer!

Gaffer

There is not much room between the tires on my 3055. I seem to remember looking at the specs on the Ribs and finding they were slightly larger in diameter. Also there is not much rom between the tires and the shocks and the G614s were a bit wider. My rims have 110 psi stamped on the back. Yours lilkely do too. I went with the Maxxis. Sold my Towmax on Craigs List. You will only have about 10,000 lbs on your rear axels so the E rated tires will give your over 3500 lbs of reserve capacity. The important thing is to make sure they are full of air each travel morning. I don't yet have TPS but do check the tires with infrared thermometer at each stop which for us is about every 2 hours.

NWTFHunter

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
I went with the Goodyears a couple of years ago for my BH 3055 and have been pleased with them. Check out Goodyear website sometimes they have rebate coupons the dealers do not have.

Gary521

I have done some research on trailer tires (ST) and Light truck Tires (LT). As far as I can tell by this, LT tires far outshine ST tires. The outshining is from a basic construction and quality control standpoint. Everybody has an opinion. Some folks have had good luck with one brand while others have had lousy luck with the same brand. Almost all ST tires are made overseas, LT tires are not. From a basic tire size issue, LT 245/75/16 are the same size as ST 235/80/16 ( that is outside diameter and sectional width ) . LT 235/85/16 are approx 1" larger in diameter than the ST/235/80/16. So, if you feel that you have a clearance issue, there is away to go. My friend, with our research, bought Bridgestone LT 245/75/16 Rib tires. He just completed a 10,000 trip to Alaska and back on some horrendous roads. Flawless. LT tires have a "speed" rating (some) of 90mph or more whereas, all ST tires have a max speed rating of 65mph. Maybe not a great measure but and indication of construction. ST tires do carry a slightly higher load rating than the LT but sufficiant for a correctly loaded trailer.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
HERE and HERE is some additional information for the ST LT debate. No intention of debating the issue as many people have had great success with LT tires. Do understand that that slighly higher load rating when multiplied by 4 tires results in a significant difference. e.g. A Bridgestone LT R265 Rib is max 3042 @ 80 PSI and a GY Marathon ST 235/80/16 is max 3420 @ 80 PSI resulting in a 1512 lb load difference.

As a side note...I had a brand spanking new GY Marathon blow up on our previous rig. Tires were correctly inflated, nevered curbed or abused or driven over 65mph.

trvlrerik

I personally have the GY614's and love them. But overall I think you will be well served by what are appearing to be the big 3 on this forum, GY614, Michelin Rib, or Maxxis. I think it comes down to personal preference and cost as enough research will convince you to buy (or not buy) just about any brand. In my opinion tires just blow up sometimes, good tires tend to blow up at a lesser frequency.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I personally have the GY614's and love them. But overall I think you will be well served by what are appearing to be the big 3 on this forum, GY614, Michelin Rib, or Maxxis. I think it comes down to personal preference and cost as enough research will convince you to buy (or not buy) just about any brand. In my opinion tires just blow up sometimes, good tires tend to blow up at a lesser frequency.

I believe there is a difference in load ratings between these 3 also. The GY614 is G rated and the others are not.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
I replaced the Unicorn tires with Maxxis last year, I looked at the Goodyear g614's and the Michelin Ribs and there was not enough room between the tires with them. I then replaced mine with the Maxxis and have been quite pleased with them. I have approximately 8k on them. I also purchased a TST tire and temp monitoring system. If you replace your tires make sure that you have metal valve stems in case you get a monitoring system.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
I replaced my Mission 235-80/16 with Mich 235-85/16 xps rib tires and still have plenty of room between the tires. The gap closed some but it still good. The GY Marithons are Chiness bombs as are most ST tires. I have found that the 80 series tire seems to be exclusive to China.