Took delivery of our 300C finally!

rustyshakelford

tony-

do you have any new pics with the correct trac system installed? hope all your other issues were taken care of by now. ours is in the shop again and it is a pain to not have it home before leaving on a trip. its going to be a mad dash to get ready to leave now

brett

CrazyCooter

Well, we got it out of the shop yesterday for the fresh water tank leak and a few other goodies. Looking forward to our first trip out this coming weekend.

While the belly was open, I took advantage and ran a #10 wire back to both axles. I plan to parallel both the original brake feed wire and the #10 I ran. Hope for less than a 5% voltage loss front to back after that. I didn't hook it up yet as I want clinical before and after results. Keep you guys updated since it seems I'm not alone on this issue. Looking forward to having brake again like I did on all my other RV's.

I fixed the fuel gauge issue as well since I had that panel out installing the inverter remote control panel in that cabinet.

Brett, what are you wanting for pics? I took a few yesterday, but for some reason the Droid is acting up and they didn't come out......

rustyshakelford

I'd really like to see how much of a difference 2" made as far as leveling the trailer to the truck. My dodge doesn't have 22.5's but it still sits up awful high. I'd like to get the trailer level for when I get airbags. I haven't installed them yet because I didn't want to be so nose high and backend low!

Brett

CrazyCooter

OK, I'll get some more with a real camera when I hook up this weekend.

It was perfectly level until we filled with water, fuel and ATV's. Now maybe 1" high in the front. Ride, bucking, and brakes notably different now that it is loaded.

I will likely end up lowering the truck to get it perfect. There is a 5/8" spacer I can pull out pretty easily.

CrazyCooter

Here ya go Brett...

2011-09-02_13-18-48_81.jpg

Gonna lower the truck 1" this winter and raise the hitch that 1" for better off road clearance.

CrazyCooter

Back to the drawing board.......

The bed rails touched the trailer both in and out of my camp this weekend. The jacks touched while backing into the yard too.

May have to lift the trailer some more......Hello 19.5"s!

CrazyCooter

Figured I would share a few more from our Death Valley trip last week.....

RVSalineRd.jpg

RVDeathVally.jpg

RVBigPine.jpg

RVSalineRd2.jpg

Wife is still editing, so a few more to come...

71stang99

Great photos! My 'home' is close by in Pahrump for now until its pulled out of storage. thanks for sharing.

Were you dry camping? If so any issues?

CrazyCooter

Cool! Been trying to see more of Nevada every year.

We always dry camp when out. This was an 11 day/1200 mile trip. Everything worked great until we were almost home and lost a bunch of braking from the rear axle of the trailer. Have to look into that soon.

39 nights total dry camping to date and loving it!

porthole

Retired
Hey Tony - did you document your solar - inverter install? Looks like some big panels up on the roof. Great looking pictures, makes me wish we lived about 2000 miles west of where we do.

Last edited:

CrazyCooter

I took a few pics during the install, but I get all wrapped up in getting it done and forget about anything else. There are 6 185w panels up there now and I'm thinking we have enough this time.

Wish I was better about the documentation so I could share my projects like you have.

Maybe I could dig that stuff up and put something together.

porthole

Retired
I have a 15 watt panel on the roof for the winter to keep the batteries charged. I couldn't imagine trying to fit six 185 watt panels up there. Who/what did you use for a supplier - controller - inverter?

CrazyCooter

I used 6 Suntech 185W 45VOC panels, Outback FlexMax 80 solar charge controller, Magnum MS2012, ARC50 Remote, and BMK battery monitor. I selected 3 East Penn/Deka 8D AGM batteries for reserve capacity of 750AH and reliability/longevity. They fit perfect into the front generator cabinet with the 12v/120v Norcold chest freezer without having to worry about venting acid into that compartment.

The fit on the roof was pretty easy due to the 300C's 37' of totally flat roof. I just took a tape up there and laid it out in my mind. If I really wanted to, I could fit 2 more if I moved the satellite tracker, but the controller is really maxed out at a safe point right now.

On a full moon night, I sometimes get 10AH overnight!

The cool thing is.....we really don't need a generator unless camping in the trees winter time. We don't camp where it is hot during the summer either.

So far, we have been using 300-500AH per day and it keeps up if there is any sun.

I'll dig up some pics!

CrazyCooter

Before any of the solar was on the roof, we painted it with a ceramic reflective rubber coating to help keep things insulated better and another layer of protection for the roof. Outback controller night time charging off the moon ;)......
2011-09-08_21-41-27_336.jpg
306782_1771653029558_1786242194_1241764_2733580_n1.jpg

2011-08-26_19-43-50_609.jpg
Some of the low voltage stuff before I tore out the generator compartment and filled the holes in the floor. None of the 8D's are in there yet.
2011-08-26_18-58-50_760.jpg

Charging on an average Fall day...
2011-09-02_13-25-09_287.jpg

Inverter/charger under the bathroom floor in the basement.....
2011-08-26_18-58-28_561.jpg

porthole

Retired
Impressive.
So, do you find the 2KW inverter sufficient? Can't ell by the spec sheet, is there 2 AC inputs and 2 AC outputs? And if not, are you supplying inverter power to only one side of the panel?
Since you have a transfer switch did you install the inverter before or after?

I have Heart KW unit that I though when I bought it had the 2-in 2 out AC legs. Since we do have the generator and the automatic transfer switch I was hoping to be able to just put the inverter in line between the transfer switch and panel. I could use it on only one side but this past summer I ended up moving some of the loads around on the panel to balance it out.

Now we have have loads on both sides that I would want powered all the time (when on AC)

I thought about using 8D's but after moving them in and out of our boat I elected to go with something a little lighter. Right now I have two gel 6 volts, but when the inverter goes in I'll be adding 2 more. I have my batteries under the pump. 2 fit in a commercial battery box. 4 will fit without a box or a home made box. Looking at the price of the Deka 8D's, 2 6 volts are about the same.

Where did you source out the solar stuff?

How about some more info on "ceramic reflective rubber coating"?