Toolbox with fuel cell question

Mrsfish

Thank you all for your replies and ideas. I'm waiting for Porthole (Duane) to post as I saw on old post on another forum by him regarding his RDS and an added solenoid that he hooked to the up fitter switch. Looks like we're going to do an RDS 61 gallon in the powder coated black. Duane??

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thank you all for your replies and ideas. I'm waiting for Porthole (Duane) to post as I saw on old post on another forum by him regarding his RDS and an added solenoid that he hooked to the up fitter switch. Looks like we're going to do an RDS 61 gallon in the powder coated black. Duane??

I just leave mine open all the time and have not had any issues thus far. I originally wanted some sort of solenoid as well to open and close valve but installer talked me out of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jnbhobe

I have a 1/4 turn valve that I leave open and a 12V seloniod valve I control with an up fitter switch, I turn it on at 3/4 tank and turn it off when the main gets to 1/2 or I fuel before that.

davebennington

We have a RDS 60 gallon tank/tool box combo, it has been in the truck for 8 or 9 years. I install a NAPA solenoid with a NAPA inline fuel pump both wired together from a switch on the dash. Also installed a shutoff 1/4 turn valve at the tank so the inline fuel filter could be changed without the loss of fuel. The solenoid and fuel pump maybe an overkill but it woks well.

dave

Last edited:

Mrsfish

We have a RDS 60 gallon tank/tool box combo, it has been in the truck for 8 or 9 years. I install a NAPA solenoid with a NAPA inline fuel pump both wired together from a switch on the dash. Also installed a shutoff 1/4 turn valve at the tank so the inline fuel filter could be changed without the loss of fuel. The solenoid and fuel pump maybe an overkill but it woks well.

dave

Bingo! Thanks

Wwatton

We have a 2012 f250 short bed with a "full metal jacket" rolling bed cover, added a 37 gal Transfer Flo fuel tank that fits under and around the cover. I went with this tank because it is completely automatic and does not mess with the truck's computer. The aux tank fills the main by reading the fuel gauge, when the main gets to a quarter tank the aux automatically pumps fuel to the main till it reaches three quarters. The bed cover will lock into position covering the tank to protect from fuel theft. When not towing I pull the cover closed and locked protecting whatever happens to be in the bed (generators, snow skis, etc.), I love the tank and bed cover!

MTPockets

We have a 2012 f250 short bed with a "full metal jacket" rolling bed cover, added a 37 gal Transfer Flo fuel tank that fits under and around the cover. I went with this tank because it is completely automatic and does not mess with the truck's computer. The aux tank fills the main by reading the fuel gauge, when the main gets to a quarter tank the aux automatically pumps fuel to the main till it reaches three quarters. The bed cover will lock into position covering the tank to protect from fuel theft. When not towing I pull the cover closed and locked protecting whatever happens to be in the bed (generators, snow skis, etc.), I love the tank and bed cover!
These are reasons we too used Transfer Flow. Highest quality plus only brand to be DOT certified for gasoline. I know this is for diesel, but the gas certification speaks to the quality aspect (in my humble opinion) (not saying other set-ups are bad)

Speedy

Another chiming in for the RDS (60 Gal). I installed a Facett electric race pump that acts as a valve when not running. Inline fuel filter install down line. Has been working with no issues for over two years.

Just need to remember to turn it of when the tank is filled.

jducherer

I have a Titan tank that replaces the stock tank under the truck. It almost doubles capacity and still leaves the bed uninstructed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

happykraut

OEM replacement tanks are nice, but a bit pricey. [h=1]Ford Crew Cab, Long Bed— SUPER SERIES 2011-2015 (7020311)[/h]$1,679.00

pegmikef

OEM replacement tanks are nice, but a bit pricey. Ford Crew Cab, Long Bed— SUPER SERIES 2011-2015 (7020311)

$1,679.00

Hey Bernie, I only paid $1,200 for the fifty gallon transfer flow fifty OEM replacement tank I had installed in my old 2011 F250 crew cab 6.7 and that included shipping, installation and taxes. Course that was almost three years ago.