top of bedroom slide collects water inside?

twohappycampers

Is this normal or is there something that can be done? After a rain water collects in the gap on the top of the slide inside (bedroom slide). And after a heavy rain water leaks from the bottom corner of the slide and wets the carpet. Is there some way to fix this? Or is it just "normal" ie the nature of the beast? Thanks in advance!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Two things: 1) slide toppers would prevent water from accumulating on top of the slide, and 2) check that the seals are fully extended outward, including along the top.

Even with toppers on mine, when I set up for the summer, I go around all the slides and make sure the seals have folded outward and are snug against the top and side walls. Pay attention to the corners at the top. If there's a curl, work it out or it becomes a channel for water to flow into.

TxCowboy

Slides seals should not leak ever, with or without slide toppers. Visually inspect the upper seals for damaged and/or missing seals. If you're not sure what you're looking for, find an experienced RVer to lend a hand -- most are very willing to help.

'Lil Guy'

When you check to see if your top seal is extended, make sure you haven't lost your slide flippers. You should have one on each end of your slide top near the outside.

Garypowell

Check the caulking on the top of the metal strip that holds the upper D seal in place. On my 3055 water ran down the side and entered the RV from behind that strip.

If you get any good answers or help, I would love to hear. I have the same unit, same year, worse problem. Ours leaks at the corner as you have said, we saturate 2-3 towels during a rain storm. It leaks out of the corner by the fridge around the slide cabling. But the wall problem is the worst. the wall leak is so bad that it has now rotted out a significant portion of the floor...in only 3 years! We have replaced the entire roof to aluminum seal, resealed all seals, caulked all windows, all joints, everywhere, it's actually quite ugly now! I was emailing a heartland tech and sending photos and he gave up. Said if everything is sealed, nothing should be leaking. I agree! At this point I am looking at spending a ton having a shop replace the wall, seals, floor, etc and then even see if that works. They all say it will, then you go six months between rains and are nowhere near that shop. I want to take it to heartland, but they never offered. Sixty grand for a "home" that will soon be unlivable. We are full timers btw which makes it that much more difficult to swallow. We are seriously considering dumping this unit and trying a different brand. I have been begging for help, haven't gotten anything useful.

danemayer

If you get any good answers or help, I would love to hear. I have the same unit, same year, worse problem. Ours leaks at the corner as you have said, we saturate 2-3 towels during a rain storm. It leaks out of the corner by the fridge around the slide cabling. But the wall problem is the worst. the wall leak is so bad that it has now rotted out a significant portion of the floor...in only 3 years! We have replaced the entire roof to aluminum seal, resealed all seals, caulked all windows, all joints, everywhere, it's actually quite ugly now! I was emailing a heartland tech and sending photos and he gave up. Said if everything is sealed, nothing should be leaking. I agree! At this point I am looking at spending a ton having a shop replace the wall, seals, floor, etc and then even see if that works. They all say it will, then you go six months between rains and are nowhere near that shop. I want to take it to heartland, but they never offered. Sixty grand for a "home" that will soon be unlivable. We are full timers btw which makes it that much more difficult to swallow. We are seriously considering dumping this unit and trying a different brand. I have been begging for help, haven't gotten anything useful.

Maybe testing by Sealtech could help locate the source of the leak. Looks like they have a location in New Mexico. http://www.sealtechleaktesting.com/

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
After all of the failed attempts to solve the water problem, have you considered adding slide toppers?

Peace
Dave

After all of the failed attempts to solve the water problem, have you considered adding slide toppers?

Peace
Dave

Toppers are a bandaid. They don't fix the problem and They fail and sag eventually also. More money that just adds one More thing to repair and maintain, so no.

danemayer

Toppers are a bandaid. They don't fix the problem and They fail and sag eventually also. More money that just adds one More thing to repair and maintain, so no.

You're right that toppers won't fix the leak, but if a topper on the leaking slide keeps the rain away from the leak, it might be a good way to spend a few hundred dollars.

twohappycampers

Thanks for all your replies. This is the story: slide wasn't coming in all the way on one side and once that was corrected, no more rain water collecting on the top of the slide inside. This slide hasn't sat right from the beginning, but the repair guy kept saying it looked okay to him. New repair guy finally took a really good look, said it wasn't sitting properly and shouldn't have such a hard time and make so much noise like it was binding up. He discovered that the storage box underneath the bed at the head of the bed had siid down and was catching on some gear box or motor box or whatever it's called. There's very little clearance there. That part of storage box (probably not the right term) gave way because it's only stapled together. To fix it the whole box has to be rebuit and not with just staples! Pain in the patootie! And we don't put heavy stuff under the bed and we've only brought the slide in and out maybe half a dozen times and we never go anywhere so it's not as though it's been bounced around (my little rant!) Repair guy did a temporary fix with some blocks of wood and one of my plastic kitchen cutting boards, so now at least the slide sits properly but we can't bring it in or out. And some additional caulking and checking of the seals and stuff has slowed down the leak considerably. Further caulking this weekend and we'll see if maybe the leak has stopped entirely. Thanks again everyone!