Tow Max...is it just me?

DW_Gray

Angie & Larry,

Wow, that was pretty bad. I recommend looking in the yellow pages for "Truck Frame & Axle Repairing." I did a simple search and found Leland Sowell's Frame & Align. Most big rig truck centers are better for checking for trailer axle alignment.

Most will tell you to stay away from Towmax tires.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
First let me say that a blow out is never a good thing as you have found out.
One thing that sticks out at me is that you mentioned unusual wear on the other three tires.
Was this not noticed when checking the air pressure in the tires? It's a good time to do a visual check for any problems when you are down there checking the air or the torque on the lug nuts.
You will never know the real reason for the blow out, but if you did run over something, perhaps a tire pressure monitor system would have warned of leakage before the blow out. You might want to consider getting one.
As DW_Gray suggested, look for a big rig trailer alignment shop. I just had mine in for alignment and the cost was around $175.
Go with the Maxis tires.

Peace
Dave

TeJay

We are also in rhe process of replacing the tires on our new unit. I think it came with Tow Max. Since it is only 14" we will be limited as to the choices because the biggest tire in 14" is 210-75R-14. The TT currently has 205's. My tire guy, Joe at the local Goodyear shop has 40 years experience in the tire business. We've talked over my options and he's recommended the Carlisle RH 215-75R-14. They are made someplace in Texas so they are not China bombs. We did have a set on the last trailer but after only 6 weeks of use it got totaled. We finally got the replacement and when we get back from FL I'll start the upgrades. Joe will get me $50 for the tires we have on now and I believe the Carlisle's are about $120. Also as mentioned we will get the TST-507 TPMS before we head to FL in March. JMTCW

TeJay

GOTTOYS

After getting it aligned I would go with the Maxxis tires also. If you look around the internet, Carlisle tires don't have a very good record either. A lot of their junk is made in China also..JMHO..Don

DW_Gray

After getting it aligned I would go with the Maxxis tires also. If you look around the internet, Carlisle tires don't have a very good record either. A lot of their junk is made in China also..JMHO..Don

I agree with your statement about Carlisle tires only if they were manufactured prior to 2010. I have commented about that here: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/32848-Tow-Max-is-it-just-me?p=264907&highlight=#post264907

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Well, coming in to the Oklahoma Rally day before yesterday my driverside front axle desided to give up a 5 month old tow max. I took the fender with it:mad:

I have been running Hankook tires on my TV and dual tandem trailer for some time and get good service. I'm gonna put a set of 14 plys on the 5er. Knock on wood, I've not lost one on the truck or trailers at the farm and they are a heavier tire than the G614s and $100.00 cheaper. JMHO

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Well, coming in to the Oklahoma Rally day before yesterday my driverside front axle desided to give up a 5 month old tow max. I took the fender with it:mad:

I have been running Hankook tires on my TV and dual tandem trailer for some time and get good service. I'm gonna put a set of 14 plys on the 5er. Knock on wood, I've not lost one on the truck or trailers at the farm and they are a heavier tire than the G614s and $100.00 cheaper. JMHO

Sorry to hear this Rex. What was the date code on the tire? Did you recover the pieces, or take pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
No I didn't. I was changing the tire and tring not to get run over. What's left of it is at the tire shop.

jwalker1

I had about 200 miles on my towmax tires before leaving San Antonio in July and had a blowout approximately 1200 miles into my trip north to Pennsylvania. I had all six replaced with Maxxis in Emporia, VA after sitting on the highway for better that 2 hours waiting for a tow truck to assist in changing the tire. It did approximately $2000 worth of damage to the rear of the Cyclone. So "NO" it is not just you.

rgwilliams69

My question (honest one, new to this forum and picking up my Cyclone 4100 tomorrow) is: if these tires are so bad and Heartland monitors this forum and other sources, why are they still being used on new RVs? I would have the same questions for other manufacturers also. I'm leaning loosely towards immediate replacement, but that's a $2k expense I hadn't counted on.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
My question (honest one, new to this forum and picking up my Cyclone 4100 tomorrow) is: if these tires are so bad and Heartland monitors this forum and other sources, why are they still being used on new RVs? I would have the same questions for other manufacturers also. I'm leaning loosely towards immediate replacement, but that's a $2k expense I hadn't counted on.

I believe it's been brought to the attention of the higher-ups at HL. Remember that there are many Heartland products at dealers right now. Even if they changed today, I'm sure it will take a good year or so before all the current inventory was depleted.

My other guess is that they have a contract for their tire suppliers, and may have to wait until that ends before they can change.

If one special orders rig, they can negotiate different tires as part of the sale.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
rgwilliams69, after you pick up your rig, let us know what tires are on it. At the time of PDI, you may be able to negotiate with your RV dealer for a different set of tires.
Some tire dealers even take new tires on trade (take offs) for a different tire.

rgwilliams69

I'll give that a try folks. Heading up at 8:00am today to do our PDI. We have an excellent dealer so even if we had a problem with the tires they would cover it all, but I would just as soon not have unneeded damage to my coach or time off the road if it can be avoided. I'll let everyone know how it turns out!

rgwilliams69

PDI on Saturday was outstanding. From about 8:30am until 11:00am went through everything twice. Then started moving stuff from the Alpine to the Cyclone. That wasn't so outstanding, man we had a lot of stuff to move. Anyway finally done around 1:30pm and on our way to the campground. Put absolutely everything through the test, with the exception of the fueling station which I will test this coming weekend. Everything passed with flying colors. Also because it is getting cold here this weekend I ran through the winterizing procedure and it was pretty straightforward, just had to make sure and hit the three valves behind the water heater. I am not so sold on the TV/sound system setup - no HDMI from the DVD system to the TV? Seems like an oversight so I will be adding that. Also labeling for the satellite prep was inconsistent and they didn't connect the 12 volt stereo/DVD/etc. to the TV in the garage, but already corrected that. I'm going to locate my satellite receiver (DISH 522) in the compartment with the mini-fridge and then back feed TV2 through the cable system so we can watch satellite on all coach TVs and then we have a TV for outside as well. Only thing not working is the battery status on the panel - will get them to fix that next weekend too. Also for the front dump I'm not sure which handle is black and which handles are grey, does anyone know? Finally the question pertinent to this thread - yes I have six TowMax tires. Had them verify 80PSI before we towed, and talked about replacements. If I am really against them they indicated replacement/trade would be okay. But they (dealer/service) said I would be fine with them. Also if something happens (blowout) they will cover 100% without hitting Heartland or my extended warranty. Sounds pretty good to me. Towing experience was great, F350 DRW did an outstanding job towing about 100 miles round trip with a terrible 40 mph southerly wind. Gas mileage? Dont ask. :) Very pleased with the coach. Man what an upgrade. We are very excited! Back out next weekend, and final weekend for this year over Thanksgiving for some fishing on the Ohio River in Southern Illinois. Sweet!

danemayer

Also if something happens (blowout) they will cover 100% without hitting Heartland or my extended warranty. Sounds pretty good to me.

If you have a blowout, it's common to have thousands of dollars of body damage to the trailer as the steel belts get whipped around. A well-intentioned dealer employee, or even the owner, might tell you today that they'll cover 100%. Standing behind that promise tomorrow is quite a different thing. It would be very easy for them to say, "Oh, we meant we'll replace the failed tire."

bd2dabone

I would definitely get that in writing. Not too mention the time lost while being repaired and the aggravation of the entire situation. Nothing worse than a broken new toy.

GOTTOYS

A blow out is not generally covered by Heartland. Not usually covered by an extended warranty either. In fact if you read the fine print in your extended and what they cover as it applies to your trailer, you may just want to try and cancel it and get a refund. Tires are the responsibility of the tire manufacturer and the vehicle owner. The tire manufacturer will usually weasel out it somehow leaving you holding the bag. Damage to your trailer caused by a blow out is often covered by your insurance company. If you don't have anything in writing from your dealer it's doubtful you will ever collect a penny from them when, not if, the blow out occurs...Get it in writing or forget about it..Don

rgwilliams69

Thanks for all of the input folks. I've done some talking to several groups and here is what I have learned. The dealer will stand by their word in writing if I want, but probably wouldn't have to. Because I also have the ExtraRide extended warranty (7 years, we typically will keep a coach for 5-7 years) including tire and wheel coverage and it specifically states that it covers damage caused to the coach by a blowout (minus $50 deductible). I also have State Farm Insurance and my agent confirmed that if no one else covers the coach damage, they will cover it (minus $100 deductible).

That being said why risk it? I'm probably going to get new tires but couldn't get the dealer to just replace them on PDI because there was absolutely nothing wrong with them, and I got a heck of a good deal on the Cyclone and my trade that put them making little money in the first place. I've worked with this dealer a long time and personally know one of the owners so not worried. I just hate to part with another $2k. Small potatoes though when compared to what I just spent! :)