towing concerns

imdun

I am looking at one of the heartland 5th wheels. I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4 quad cab. Book says my truck will pull 12,800 with a 1900 or so pounds in the bed. I have added air bags to the rear. Can I safely pull a 12,000 pound 5th wheel that has a 2200 pound hitch weight?

brianharrison

If the 5th wheel is GVWR of 12,000 you are fine, the air bags would help support the extra 300 lbs of hitch weight without overloading your truck OEM supplied suspension. I would comfortably pull this combination.

My opinion but I would check your local road rules/regs to ensure you are within the laws of the road in your area; I am not familiar with CA rules and level of surveillance and enforcement.

Inflate the air bags so the truck/trailer are level when hitched and loaded, wet with max cargo (ie full tank of fuel, water, and heading off on a two week holiday). My experiences are airbags need about 25 to 40 psi.

I carry a bicycle pump to adjust air bags while on the road - ie to add air.

Hope this helps.

Take care,
Brian

Rrloren

I have the same basic truck and tow my Sundance with no problems. I would guess I'm at 11m lbs. when going on a trip. The airbags are set at 25 psi.
I also ave. 12- 13.5 mpg depending on terrain and wind.

imdun

You folks are really helpfull. Now I just have to find a really good deal on a unit. Any other feedback is appreciated

beardedone

Beardedone
I have air bags on mine and run it around 50lbs. I use a 12 volt compressor to fill up and to make it easier I wired in a 12 volt cig lighter outlet in the rear corner of the box under the rail. From there I can fill the truck air bags, Trailaire hitch bag and the Centre Point suspension bags.

You have to know all the weights involved. True weights. GVWR of truck, trailer. GCVWR. Do you plan on towing with water tanks full. How much equipment, goods are you adding to the trailer. How many people are riding with you. Also know your truck. What rear axle ration do you have. 3:42, 3:72, 4:10.That will really let you know what your truck is rated to tow. Adding air bags does not increase the payload capacity of your truck. Only helps the end from sagging with heavy loads. Can your truck tow the trailer. Yes probably. Its is on the edge from the information you have given. Can it tow it legal and safe.You stated you are already over on payload by 300 Ibs but probable more when all the weights are added in.