trade in values

BusManRG

One of the factors that has delayed our purchase is that we currently have a unit to sell/trade. Ideally we will sell the unit, but we have considered a trade-in possibility. I have access to both the retail and wholesale NADA Guides so I'm aware of the current values. We have a low mileage Class C unit and NADA has a mileage allowance we can include. Here's my question....The dealerships we have talked to will not even consider adding the mileage credit. I guess I can accept that, but think its' hogwash. But the real kicker is that most dealerships won't even offer us the wholesale value. And they have said that it's an excellent, clean unit! In fact, one dealership has said that their policy is to only offer 20% below wholesale!! At first I thought I heard him wrong and he meant 20% below retail. What experiences have you had with your trades? Is 20% below wholesale typical?

All feedback appreciated.

GOTTOYS

It's all based on what you are paying for the new unit. Typically trailers,don't know about motor homes, are priced so if you are willing to negotiate, you can get as much as 35% off. The dealer can make it look like you are getting a high trade in but are you really? My only concern is how big is the check to pay the difference. NADA is not very accurate when it comes to RVs. Throw out their numbers and search the internet to see what your rig is selling for. Try and sell it yourself if you can although that doesn't always work. Good luck..Don

Garypowell

I'd call multiple dealerships and see who does what. If you are set on the unit on the lot your talking to you have to be willing to move on. Once you have everyone's price you can try and use that information to get your dealership to budge. Of course there are a couple of outcomes here.

1. You'll have to walk away and buy someplace else.

2. Find out your unit is not worth what you thought it should be worth.

3. Find out considering mileage to that other dealership the one closer is not that bad a deal.

Once ce you get really close you might then ask for something else......like how about that hitch for free.

Good luck,

jayc

Legendary Member
Several years ago when we traded for our Dodge truck, I went to the dealer's website to use their appraisal feature of our high mileage trade in. The dealer then offered me a low-ball price on my trade but when I showed him my printed estimate which had their dealer name on it, the salesperson backed down and raised the price. I know that this is comparing a truck to a trailer, but many trailer dealer websites have a "value of your trade" feature that you could use.

SNOKING

In some states you only pay sales tax on the difference of price between the two, so can be factored in. We lucked out selling our SOB on CL to the only call we received.

Dealers are going to try make money on one end or the other of the deal. If they sell new low, they are not going high on your trade in.
H
We have been on a roll, bought a new RAM in Sept and change my sig line on TDR site and when on the way home from Colorado with the new truck I was contact by another member that bought our old RAM.

Clean up the class C and work hard on selling it. The people that bought our old trailer said it was the first used one that they had been in that did not smell.

Oh, and we are loving our new BH3575el!

Good luck!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
There are several RV's for sale around my neighborhood . . . not old and beat up ones, either!

They have been sitting there with for sale signs on them for more than two years.

We opted to trade in our 2013 Heartland Trail Runner, even though it was just two years old and one week before trade in had over $3500 in axle, springs, wheel and tire upgrades

As we were just ready to move on and didn't want to add to the glut of used RV's sitting around the 'hood for sale, our dealership was the only dealership within a 1000 mile radius that had the 2015 Heartland Prowler we wanted, and they are only 40 miles from our house.

The dealership sold the Trail Runner two days after it hit their used lot.

We did get the slider hitch tossed in the deal for free.

Our Prowler will be one year old this Sunday (5/29).

Last edited:

Westwind

When we made up our mind to upgrade our 9 year old Sunnybrook 26FK we had everything against us, 2 season trailer and no slide outs. The only thing going for us was the tires were 2 years old and we had taken great care of it. My wife had the inside immaculate. Much to my objections we put it up for sale Memorial Day weekend in the driveway for a very reasonable price and it sold in 3 hours. The buyer told me it was the cleanest trailer he had seen in 2 years of looking. I sold it for $4500 about 2 grand
less then I had see online. No one wants to pay top dollar for a worn out trailer with no warranty.
Then we went looking for our new FW and got a good deal on it from Scott's Recreation Center in Maine, the price made it worth the trip.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Consider looking at PPL in Texas (they have multiple locations). They will consignment sell your RV. I've heard good things about the transaction process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When we bought our former TT, we traded in the pop-up. Getting the Bighorn, we traded in the TT. Both times, we traded them for what we owed on them as part of the deal. Simple, no hassles.

BusManRG

There is a backstory here. About 2 weeks ago a salesman from the motorhome department of our local dealership saw our Class C and offered us a fair trade deal in writing. He then sent our purchase proposal to the trailer department. That salesman called and verbally agreed to our proposal, the hiccup being the trade. He said it seemed too high. They usually only offer 20% below wholesale. We are taking our unit in today for others to look it over, but I'm not feeling good about this. I know they are going to try and wiggle out of the trade offer, and of course the deal on the new unit was only verbal. It's a shame, because I should be excited, but have a feeling we will be walking away empty handed. Our Jayco is a great unit with new tires and batteries, but not what we pictured traveling with in retirement when we will have the time to travel more slowly :) Fingers crossed. I would have thought that ordering a fully loaded Big Horn would have been an easy sell. I guess the market must be hopping.

Gaffer

You will get 30% off your new unit's MSRP but you will have to settle on low book for your trade. If you do better than that, consider it a better than average deal. Consider consignment.