Traveling with your pets forum

Crumgater

Re: Hey - a new forum to discuss traveling with your pets

I know it's an old thread... but I'll add my two cents here anyway...

We had a crazy barker for a while - so we bought one of these: PetSafe Ultrasonic Indoor Bark Control
http://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Ultra...s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1340653357&sr=1-11

It worked really well, with no collar to wear.

And, now that we have an English Mastiff puppy - expected to be ~185 lbs (like her mom) when she's older. We're going to get her Certified as a "good canine citizen" - which hopefully will be recognized by campgrounds and insurance companies in the future as a way to make sure our pup is trained with good doggie manners.

Our older dogs didn't have any problems staying in the RV while we were gone - which was only if we couldn't take them along with us in the truck.
Our puppy will be in a crate until it's safe (for her and the RV) for her to have 'run of the house'.

I love RV'ing with dogs. I wouldn't want to go without them.
-T

FordMan1966

Re: Cat NOT a Good Traveller

We would not travel anywhere without our 2 mini Dachshunds going with us. If we leave them un-attended in the Landmark while we are out they are in a create with bark collars on.

bill40

We travel with our cat Izzy. We found he likes staying in the BC rather than in the truck. he is very relaxed when we stop and check on him. On our last trip to CA I was worried about the temp in the trailer so I used our Acurite temp gauge to check, just leave the outside remote in the area where he rides, usually by the bed. We leave his water and food and litter box in their normal areas. Have not had a spill yet.
Would not want to travel without our Izzy.

TXBobcat

Fulltime

Something you might do to keep the trailer a bit more comfortable.

Open a bedroom roof vent and open a window in the back of the trailer, or something like that to get air to flow throught the trailer while traveling down the road.

FWIW
BC

SeldomSeen

Re: "Montana" .......

Hi all, we travel with a 8 year old West Highland White Terrier (Westie) called Buddy. Seems everyone knows his name when we walk around the parks, they say HI Buddy and he thinks they know him. He loves to camp and when he sees the unit pull up in front of the house he sits in the front window and just will not turn away until it is time for him to leave. Travels in back set of the tow unit but sometimes slips up tot he front on Mommies lap just to see where he is going. It's nice to be owned by a Westie!

RanCarr

We travel with our cat Izzy. We found he likes staying in the BC rather than in the truck. he is very relaxed when we stop and check on him. On our last trip to CA I was worried about the temp in the trailer so I used our Acurite temp gauge to check, just leave the outside remote in the area where he rides, usually by the bed. We leave his water and food and litter box in their normal areas. Have not had a spill yet.
Would not want to travel without our Izzy.

We have three cats and can't imagine going anywhere without them. It just wouldn't be the same. They ride in the TV with us until we get where we're going, then they go into the TT. :) We have a special cage that they can go in and out of from the bedroom window. They love it.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
Re: Hey - a new forum to discuss traveling with your pets

Our daughters name is Roxi a 13 year old Bichon Frise,
We did not do fireworks last night as we were looking after Roxi. On tuesday evening we were walking on the beach, she got tired so I began caring her, after while she wanted to walk so just as I was setting her down she jumped and smashed her left jaw against the ground, her crys were heartbreaking. At first we thought she broke a leg or dislocated her shoulder.

Then later that evening while she had calmed down we were watching tv, when I went looking for here I fiund her behind the chairs completely covered in blood. We thought she had bit her tongue as it looked like blood on her tongue.

We cleaned her up, I went to bed, Janina stayed up with her (she was shaking badly, we thought many going into shock) until 3:30.

I got up at 7 and went for a 17mile bike ride along highway 101 and then on tyhe beach. when I returned roxi was standing on the step completely covered in blood, I mean from her forehead to her toes she is supposed to be white…everything, huge pools of blood on her blanket and all over her closet.

We discovered that one of her canine teeth had been knocked loose and had come out.

At his point we thought we going to lose her ad she was completely unresponsvie. Small town no vet service, We tried to keep her hydrated and cool.

Last night we bathed her and finally feed her, she was starting to respond but still very lethargic,
This morning she woke up much more responsive and getting to be more like herself. Janina thinks that the trauma and lack of sleep did her in for a day.

She is eating and very alert and very nosey again.
Don

jbeletti

Re: Traveling with Lab

Oh no Don - so sorry to read about your pooch. I hope she recovers. Please make sure she is getting fluids and keeping them down. She also needs to maybe have her glucose levels checked. Press on her gums and see if they pink back up fast or very slowly. Fast re-pinking usually is a good sign (glucose wise).

As you know, we lost our precious little Ruby after we saw you in Gillette. Poor thing. When we took her into the vet, I would never have guessed we going to lose her. But small dogs, I think, can go down hill fast. Hoping for the best for you!

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC

Sorry to hear about Roxi. It's tough to find care sometimes when you are in small towns. Where on the coast were you? We ended our rally trip with a few days at Fort Stevens and Lincoln City. We saw lots of Bighorns and a couple of Landmarks on 101 in Oregon.

Kristy

iforget

New Jersey Chapter Leader-retired

How scarey! I am so happy to hear Roxi is doing much better! I have an app on my phone which gives me the closest vet clinics and hospitals for when we are traveling. The app is called "My Dog" which once you provide your location, you are able to select from the following options
Boarding, Walking, Shelters, Dog Parks, Beaches, Pet Stores, Grooming, Trainers and most importantly
Veterinarians and Hospitals.
Thankfully we haven't had to use it but I remember how while attending our first Regional Rally in N.C., our Misty split her toenail in half and of course we didnt have our first aid kit with us. We were fortunate to have other dog owners who were better prepared and were able to help us..
Hope everyone can add it to their phone but never have to use it for an emergency.

Shamrock

My sweetheart and I will be traveling soon in our new Heartland fifth wheel and Silverado truck. We have an aging cat and are not sure how well he will travel with us. We are not new to RVing, just new to traveling with a pet. Do you keep the pet with you in the TV? I would think that it not be wise to let them ride in the fifth wheel unless they were in a pet crate of some sort. Also, where do most cat owners place the litter box while driving and while parked? Our Silverado is a crew cab, so we're thinking we would place the litter box on the rear floor and then move it to the bathroom in the RV while parked. Any thoughts and experiences would be appreciated! :) Steve and Debbie

Sumo

We travel with our pets in the TV. Crates are great, they keep the pets safe and out from underfoot.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Our kitty rides in the truck with us. He has been traveling since we got him so riding in the truck is not new. He mostly sleeps on the console between us.
I have the rear seats down so there we have his carrier, that gets him from the house to the truck, his litter box and some food and water.
All cats are different with their riding comfort level. Some like it some don't.
I would not want to keep him in a carrier for hours on end.
Our litter box, well the cats, resides behind the chairs in the living room. We use pine pellets and there is no odor or mess. It is kept clean at all times.

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired
Hey - a new forum to discuss traveling with your pets

Steve, we have tried the in the truck with the cat and it didn't work for us.
Howling, roaming and when put in a carrier he would pee on the blanket.

No cat urine in the truck for me!

Cat does just fine riding in the trailer. Cat box is in the bathroom and he uses it. Water and food too.

For camping purposes I started using the scoop-able litter, works great.

I found a plastic tote that fit perfect next to the toilet and shower. Wasn't tall enough so I used some plastic sheeting to raise the sides and back.

back2nature

Our two cats travel with us in the truck. We have a cat crate for each and put them on the rear seat of the crew cab. We also put walking jackets on them so we can open the door of the crate, one at a time, and I can put a leash on them if needed. One particular cat does not like to stay in the crate once we get rolling down the highway. He gives us a few minutes to hit the road then he will start whining. So we'll let him out and he is very quiet and content to just sleep in a small pet bed on the large armrest between us. He likes to look out the window at the 18 wheelers going by. He loves it. A great traveler. The other cat prefers his little "cave" in the crate. I will open the door and he will come out and check out the windows for a while, then go back inside the crate to sleep. They are put back in the crates before we open the doors at gas stops and any other stops. Unless, I have one on my lap with the leash and walking jacket. We carry a couple of Rubbermaid containers for food and water to give them at gas stops, but they really aren't very hungry when traveling. We have a tub-like litter box behind the passenger seat (link below). I like that one because it has a lid and they have to go down in to it, so they can't kick sand out on the floor. I just put a piece of cardboard on the top to seal the opening and they can sit on it too. In about 15,000 miles of traveling, they have used it only about 3 times. But it's good to have, because you just can't pull over when they have an emergency. Did that our first trip out, and we all panicked till we could stop somewhere and get them to their litter box in the RV. Whew, dodged that one.

We would not have them travel in the RV and not know what is happening to them or if they get panicked. We take long traveling days and they are happiest being with us and we are happy to have our buddies.

That being said, every cat is different, but many can get used to new circumstances. One thing we do to help is to put the crates, open, in the house a couple of days before a trip to get use to it. We find that, after a while, they are getting in and going to sleep in them in the house. That helps prepare them for traveling day.

One cat loves to go on walks (the other not so much) but here's the link to the walking jackets that they likely can't wiggle out of. Love them.
http://crazykfarm.mybigcommerce.com/handmade-in-the-usa-kitty-holster-cat-harness-free-shipping/
redharnessweb__97699.1307131613.1280.1280.jpg
(This is not our cat)

http://www.petco.com/product/14467/Clevercat-Top-Entry-Litterbox.aspx
809474770002C.jpg

Last edited:

back2nature

By the way, here's the modification we did for our inside litter boxes.

This was an earlier thread - //heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...cats-here-s-our-new-Litter-Box-mod?highlight=

brabie

We traveled from Houston to upstate NY last Fall and back with our M18 and two large dogs...Golden Retriever and Standard Labradoodle, both female, both under 2 years old at the time. It was a GREAT experience for them and us. We were gone from home for about 5 weeks and it was our first long trip with the RV. We took a portable fence with us to contain them when we were outside at the campsite and they slept inside with us at night. They rode in the back of our SUV when we were traveling and we were suprised by how uneventful it all was. Although where we are in Texas, there's no Lyme disease problem, but our vet told us it was rampant in upstate NY, so as a warning to pet owners, be sure to tell your vet where you're planning to go camping, in case you may need additional immunizations. Better safe than sorry. FYI....we took all the dog food we'd need on the trip with us..picky about the food and didn't want to have to hunt for the kind they're used to eating. The Golden weighs about 80 lbs and the Labradoodle around 65 lbs. and there was plenty of room at night for all of us in the M18. The dogs LOVED going to all the new campsites and swimming in new places. Texas is very dog friendly, as was Savannah. We planned our trip around places that had nice dog parks. We wouldn't go anywhere without our pups.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

This is the only place our litter box can go. With it there, we're forced to keep an eye on it and clean it. Fortunately, when the dealer installed the central vac, they put the port in the bottom step riser, not in the wall.

View attachment 22839