truck comparisons

ChopperBill

The hill climb tests were nowhere near close. And the results lead me to wonder if GM knew of a programming shortcoming with the Ford and exploited it with the location pick.

I'm with you. The test I read wasnt even close. GM blew the doors off the Ford. The neat part was that the tester didnt have a dog in the fight so I am pretty sure it was told like it was. Just saying. I like GM, Fords and Dodges. I HATE Toyotas!!!!!!!!!!

nscaler2

The hill climb tests were nowhere near close. And the results lead me to wonder if GM knew of a programming shortcoming with the Ford and exploited it with the location pick.
If Ford has a shortcoming then it is good to know about it. I am planning a neew truck purchhase. We pull a lot in the mountains. I'm glad to know which one does best. I own a Ford.

Willym

It might be that for the particular hill, that the GM transmission ratios worked out better. The GM truck is probably slightly lighter in weight also, but that would not be too significant when pulling a trailer.

lwmcguir

Went and drove several 6.6/Allison GM's the last few days. Decided to purchase a 2011 F350 King Ranch crew cab long box with the factory hitch prep. Just a lot more truck for the money in my opinion. Nothing wrong with GM, just used to fords and like the better resale value down the road. Really didn't like the GM hood at all and they both seem to drive out very similar.

ricatic

Keep in mind that GM set up that mountain pull test and they provided both trucks. The test was done with conditions specified by GM. Does anyone believe that GM did not test a new Ford Super Duty and figured out that above 8000 feet in altitude their turbocharger worked better than Ford's? Ford already knew the supposed shoot out was not going to turn out well for them and declined to participate. The test arbiter,Mike at Pickuptrucks.com, has posted on a couple of websites that he saw no big problem with the Ford and he would own one. Both of these new 2011 trucks do a great job of towing and stopping these big trailers. Does anyone really stop on the freeway at 8000 feet altitude and drag race to the top? Does anyone crest an 8% mountain pass at 60 mph and let the rig run free down the other side? I am not defending Ford's performance but the deck was stacked for this particular shootout. As to any Ford shortcomings, the original shootout, also narrowly won by GM, was extremely close, less than 1 point in the final tally. It was a much more accurate testing of overall truck abilities than a contrived uphill drag race. A purchaser of any of the three 2011 HD pickups will get a fantastic towing machine regardless if he chooses Dodge, Ford, or GM.

Regards

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Any test that is done can be set up so the outcome is what the person wants. Maybe if an independent lab with vehcles which were bought at random from dealers or trucks which are actually used by the RVing public ... the outcome might be unpredictable.

ricatic

The GM used considerably more DEF than the Ford but so what...Dodge will have the DEF systems in their pickups soon. They already use it in their chassis cabs. The DEF bashers are beating a dead horse. The cost of DEF for my 2011 Ford 6.7 diesel powered Super Duty is less than 2 cents per diesel gallon purchased. That is considerably less than the price spread of the four diesel fuel suppliers around my house. The increased performance, fewer EGR valve problems due to reduced EGR duty cycles and improved mileage more than offsets the DEF cost. In my travels around the web, I have not found one guy who has a DEF equipped truck that is complaining about the system.

Tuke

If ford ever put an allison transmission in there trucks, then I believe that they would have a truck worth buying. I had a f250 super duty and bought a chevy for the allison.

ricatic

You obviously have not driven any Ford truck with the 5r100 5 speed that was used in 2003 and later trucks up to 2010. These transmissions have been nearly bullet proof. The new 2011 Ford has a new 6 speed transmission that so far has been excellent. There were a few trucks that had some minor shift anomalies but a new computer flash took care of them.

Regards

stsmark

I think that GM discovered that what we in aviation call the "Critical Altitude" of the turbo used in the Super Duty is probably about 9000 ft. Meaning it can't produce full boost above that altitude. I'm sure it was a tradeoff for some facet of performance at lower altitudes. It would also bias the performance of the exhaust brake as well.
Knowing this I still ordered a 2011 F350, can't wait.

Mark

jwalker1

stsmark,

You will be very happy with the new 2011 F350....I just picked mine up on 11/23 and what a difference in fuel mileage from the 2008. I am getting at least 8 miles more per gallon on the highway.....Don't know about towing yet cause our rig is in the shop for warranty work.....Mine has the upgrade to 400 HP and 800 Ft lbs of torque....Woweewa....

nscaler2

You obviously have not driven any Ford truck with the 5r100 5 speed that was used in 2003 and later trucks up to 2010. These transmissions have been nearly bullet proof.
Regarding the "nearly bullet proof", my truck must be the anomaly. The torque converter shelled out at 28000 miles and took the tranny with it. They replaced the torque converter and rebuilt the transmission, and did everything that was called for at the time. The truck now has 62000 miles on it, and the transmission is showing signs of the same problem it had the first time. My truck is now out of warranty and I refuse to give Ford $7000 to $8000 for a THIRD defective transmission. That much money will be a nice down payment on a new truck. I will soon be trading it for a GM product with Allison transmission.

P.S. This truck has been maintained by the book at Ford dealerships. No aftermarket maintenance by anyone else.

ricatic

Nscaler

Sorry about your trans woes. I spend a fair amount of my spare time at various forums, Ford and RV types. Your truck is an anomaly. 5r100 transmissions are very stout. They have held up well in 6.0 trucks tuned to 500 plus horsepower. The Allison has not fared nearly as well at horsepower's much above stock. While this may be meaningless to most that would never tune their trucks, it does speak to strength. As I wrote before, the new 2011 Ford with the new 6 speed has been excellent so far. There are several hot shot delivery guys with over 60000 miles on their trucks with no issues. The 2011 Ford diesel fleet grows by about 30000 trucks a month, over 100000 sold to date, and issues have been very few and far between. No recurring issues at all. Ford did come out with a new computer flash in September that upped the power a little and addressed a few transmission shifting complaints. I encourage you to test drive one. If not, enjoy your new GM, it would be my second choice.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
I think I'll keep my 04.5 Dodge without all that emmissions stuff and having to buy refined cat pee for it. If I need over 400 hp and 800 ft lbs all I have to do is push the button on my Bully Dog and set it to Crazy Larry and watch Fords and Chebbys disappear in my rear view mirror in a cloud of black smoke.

At 168,000 miles replaced clutch - $1100 - Clutch was still good but the throw out bearing failed.
At 198,000 miles replace both batteries and rebuilt front end and driveshaft and alignment - parts needed were upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends, right front hub, 2 u joints and a carrier bearing. $2500

That's all that's been done to this truck other than tires, oil and filter changes in 198,000 miles and half of those miles are towing. Truck still has original brakes and they have plenty of life left in them yet.

Moose

Nscaler

Sorry about your trans woes. I spend a fair amount of my spare time at various forums, Ford and RV types. Your truck is an anomaly. 5r100 transmissions are very stout. They have held up well in 6.0 trucks tuned to 500 plus horsepower. The Allison has not fared nearly as well at horsepower's much above stock. While this may be meaningless to most that would never tune their trucks, it does speak to strength. As I wrote before, the new 2011 Ford with the new 6 speed has been excellent so far. There are several hot shot delivery guys with over 60000 miles on their trucks with no issues. The 2011 Ford diesel fleet grows by about 30000 trucks a month, over 100000 sold to date, and issues have been very few and far between. No recurring issues at all. Ford did come out with a new computer flash in September that upped the power a little and addressed a few transmission shifting complaints. I encourage you to test drive one. If not, enjoy your new GM, it would be my second choice.

Just curious if you have some kind of an affiliation with Ford? You seem to be very passionate about them.

I have also heard the new Fords (from a friend who is a Ford mechanic) are doing quite well. This is a good thing as it raises the bar for the competition and at the end of the day the consumer wins.

And, afterall, they are only trucks. We shouldn't lose sight of that fact.

ricatic

Absolutely no affiliation with Ford. Deb's Dad retired from Ford, does that count? My passion is less for Ford and more for keeping the facts in play. There are many out there that never let facts get in the way of a good story.

pmmjarrett, I understand your Dodge passion. If you want a new non DEF truck you better hurry up and buy a Dodge now. Their new cab/chassis already has DEF injection. Their pickup will have it soon. I do wish that the DEF bashers would spend a little time learning and understanding the benefits of the DEF system. It allows much finer engine tuning, especially in regards to EGR valve issues and DPF filter regeneration. It also brings better fuel economy to the table. But if you do get a DEF truck some day, do not use any urine in the DEF tank. The computer's sensors will know the difference.

Regards